PDA

View Full Version : Question for anybody with real world Stearman stick time.

rdaniell
July 6th, 2012, 14:00
Do you have to totally fly it all the way through a loop? I have found with GAS's stearman that in order to get it to loop, I have to dive it to gain speed up to about 130 mphs and then almost immediately pull the stick all the way back. I also have to put in a lot of right rudder right at the top of the loop. Without starting right rudder input on the initial pull back and progressing until I have all the input available, it just falls off to the left.

I don't have any real world time in a Stearman but, did own a 80 inch wingspan RC model. If you were not very careful when looping it, it would do the same thing. It would bite you really quick going into a left spin. That's why I always flew it 3 mistakes high...

RD

rdaniell
July 7th, 2012, 14:12
I thought there was a real world pilot here at the Outhouse with Stearman time. Guess I must have been wrong as this post has been up for two days now.
Anyway, I'm really enjoying the GAS Stearman. Even more now that I'm mastered how to do loops in it.

RD

modelr
July 7th, 2012, 14:13
RD, I personally have never been in a real Stearman, but there is one at my home airfield, in our EAA club. His description of doing a loop is exactly as you mention. Same goes with the VS stock one.

rdaniell
July 7th, 2012, 14:23
RD, I personally have never been in a real Stearman, but there is one at my home airfield, in our EAA club. His description of doing a loop is exactly as you mention. Same goes with the VS stock one.

Thanks modelr. BTW, are you planning on doing any RCing tomorrow? I'm probably going to get out my PT-19. It's supposed to be really hot again tomorrow but, we have some canopies, generator, and a couple fans. Sunday afternoons are set aside for my RC flying. I look forward to the comraderie with the other club members as much as the flying.

RD

skyblazer3
July 7th, 2012, 19:06
My first 9 hours were in a Stearman based out of Stinson field in San Antonio, Texas -- it was a great gig. We never looped it, but I remember you had to fly it all the time -- you had to constantly stay on top of it. It was very responsive, and a joy to fly -- but you could not slack off with it. Once we flew it down to Laredo for an airshow, a 1.5 hour flight, and I remember being exhausted after that.

Haven't tried the VS stearman, but it does look pretty.

Chris

Naki
July 7th, 2012, 20:10
Peteham over at the FS9 forum is a professional Stearman pilot - he takes joyrides (and in a 3 seat Ag-Cat) out of my home town airport (Tauranga)..maybe drop him a PM?

Naki
July 7th, 2012, 20:25
He usually flys this one

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/Naki_04_2008/DSC_0490.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/Naki_04_2008/DSC_0497-1.jpg

..and is flying the lead one in this trio at the last Tauranga Air Show

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk156/Naki_04_2008/DSC_0314.jpg

rdaniell
July 8th, 2012, 02:59
Peteham over at the FS9 forum is a professional Stearman pilot - he takes joyrides (and in a 3 seat Ag-Cat) out of my home town airport (Tauranga)..maybe drop him a PM?

Thanks, Naki. I'm not delusional after all. I did remember correctly that there was a Stearman pilot here at the Outhouse. Great photos btw.

The paint scheme on the one he flies is what was on the RC version I used to own.

RD

IFlySWA
July 8th, 2012, 05:31
I've looped a Stearman in real life...but it's been quite a few years. You're correct about diving until you hit around 130 mph. I don't think I ever had to pull the stick completely back and I never had to touch the rudder pedals at the top of the loop. The only control input I did at the top of a loop was apply a fair amount of down elevator to keep my loop nice and round, instead of doing an egg-shaped loop. The only thing I didn't like about doing aerobatics in the Stearman was that it seemed you spent most of your flight climbing back up to altitude after each manuever. :icon_lol:

Brian

rdaniell
July 8th, 2012, 06:07
I've looped a Stearman in real life...but it's been quite a few years. You're correct about diving until you hit around 130 mph. I don't think I ever had to pull the stick completely back and I never had to touch the rudder pedals at the top of the loop. The only control input I did at the top of a loop was apply a fair amount of down elevator to keep my loop nice and round, instead of doing an egg-shaped loop. The only thing I didn't like about doing aerobatics in the Stearman was that it seemed you spent most of your flight climbing back up to altitude after each manuever. :icon_lol:

Brian

Ain't that the truth...:icon_lol:

RD