PDA

View Full Version : OT: R/C Super Cub LP Brushless mod?

ryanbatc
July 3rd, 2012, 06:18
I'm not sure where to put this thread... but I was wondering if any of the R/C fans here have done the brushless upgrade to the Super Cub LP? If you have is it possible with the old radio and stock receiver/servos? I've got the older 3 CH radio (they are phased out now come with spektrum dx4 radio/receiver). I want to do this mod but I'm cheap and don't want to spend the additional $200 on the DX6i.

Here's the mod I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy-dFOyG24w

rdaniell
July 3rd, 2012, 07:35
I'm not sure where to put this thread... but I was wondering if any of the R/C fans here have done the brushless upgrade to the Super Cub LP? If you have is it possible with the old radio and stock receiver/servos? I've got the older 3 CH radio (they are phased out now come with spektrum dx4 radio/receiver). I want to do this mod but I'm cheap and don't want to spend the additional $200 on the DX6i.

Here's the mod I'm talking about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy-dFOyG24w

Ryanbatc, If your present transmitter and receiver are 2.4, you should be able to simply swap out the motor. If you have one of the much older models that uses a FM transmitter and receiver all bets are off.....

RD

imn2sims
July 3rd, 2012, 13:00
Not really familiar with that plane but your receiver and servos will be fine. If the original plane had a brushed motor you will need to buy a brushless appropriately sized (Amp) speed controller for the brushless motor. You may or may not need a different battery and prop.

Steve

ryanbatc
July 3rd, 2012, 17:15
I looked into it... what I've found is that I can't do it because mine doesn't have an ESC that would support the proposed engine...

I mean I can, but I've got to buy a few extra parts than I originally thought. What I'm planning on doing is getting the next model up, the Apprentice, which has brushless motor and ailerons already...

rdaniell
July 4th, 2012, 04:01
I looked into it... what I've found is that I can't do it because mine doesn't have an ESC that would support the proposed engine...

I mean I can, but I've got to buy a few extra parts than I originally thought. What I'm planning on doing is getting the next model up, the Apprentice, which has brushless motor and ailerons already...

Grasshopper, sounds like you make right decision....LOL.

RD

modelr
July 4th, 2012, 09:08

The upgrade to brushless only requires a new motor/prop and ESC. Otherwise all the same. Going to an upgraded entire plane with ailerons is even better.

cheezyflier
July 4th, 2012, 13:50

wouldn't that mean you need more than 3 channells?
throttle, rudder, ailerons, elevator
i can't see buying the dx4 these days. i have a dx5 and wish i didn't. at least get the dx6. these days, if you're flying more than one model but want to use the same radio computerized is the way to go.
and then there's the helis. some, like my mcpx, don't like non computer radios, and don't hold the bind.

ryanbatc
July 5th, 2012, 14:48
wouldn't that mean you need more than 3 channells?
throttle, rudder, ailerons, elevator
i can't see buying the dx4 these days. i have a dx5 and wish i didn't. at least get the dx6. these days, if you're flying more than one model but want to use the same radio computerized is the way to go.
and then there's the helis. some, like my mcpx, don't like non computer radios, and don't hold the bind.

I definitely considered this... The problem is the price hikes up to around $500 to get the DX6i (deal right now comes with two receivers), Apprentice ARF, battery (only 1 argh) and charger. Whereas I could spend $300 for the RTF + DX5e. Yeah I would have to rebind everytime I fly or just use the individual radios per plane. It's not like I'm going to fly the cub, apprentice and mcx2 all at the same time hehe.

rdaniell
July 6th, 2012, 04:18
I definitely considered this... The problem is the price hikes up to around $500 to get the DX6i (deal right now comes with two receivers), Apprentice ARF, battery (only 1 argh) and charger. Whereas I could spend $300 for the RTF + DX5e. Yeah I would have to rebind everytime I fly or just use the individual radios per plane. It's not like I'm going to fly the cub, apprentice and mcx2 all at the same time hehe.

May I suggest that you look at E-Flight's T-34. You can get a complete ready to fly package for $ 500.00 U.S. That package includes a DX6i transmitter.
The T-34 is what is known as a Progressive Trainer.

RD

cheezyflier
July 6th, 2012, 04:27
call any hobby shop and ask for prices on the dx5 and the dx6, just the radio itself. the difference at my hobby shop is less than $40. john's hobbie's toronto - 416-421-1850
the whole reason i know this is because just 2 weeks ago i inquired about trading my dx5 for the dx6. you might be better off getting the super cub as bnf and purchasing the radio separately, i don't know, but worth the investigation. btw, the t-34 does look pretty cool:applause:

rdaniell
July 6th, 2012, 07:57
call any hobby shop and ask for prices on the dx5 and the dx6, just the radio itself. the difference at my hobby shop is less than $40. john's hobbie's toronto - 416-421-1850 the whole reason i know this is because just 2 weeks ago i inquired about trading my dx5 for the dx6. you might be better off getting the super cub as bnf and purchasing the radio separately, i don't know, but worth the investigation. btw, the t-34 does look pretty cool:applause:

The T-34 was my first 3 axis airplane. It has those clear plastic "thingys" on the leading edge that makes it more docile to fly. It also has ground positioned flaps. You start off with the flaps all the way down and progress in your learning curve by moving them up a notch at a time. Then you take the "thingys" off the leading edge of the wings. The DX6i supports a trainers cord also. I started flying mine with an instructor on another DX6i plugged into mine. Gradually, he was able to just let me do all the flying to the point we disconnected the "buddy box." Later, I sold the whole package to another person just getting started in RC flying. The T-34 is still flying... I've moved on to larger aiplanes and a DX7. When I bought my T-34, it was one of the best $ 440.00 I have spent on RC flying. I saw where the price has increased to around $ 500.00. Still worth it in my opinion as you get a programmable transmitter that will handle 10 separate airplanes.

RD

ryanbatc
July 6th, 2012, 18:14
May I suggest that you look at E-Flight's T-34. You can get a complete ready to fly package for $ 500.00 U.S. That package includes a DX6i transmitter.
The T-34 is what is known as a Progressive Trainer.

RD

Wow that looks great. I'm a little weary regarding the materials... it's a big step up from foam hehe... especially when it comes to crashes. I've only had 1 bad crash with my cub, and a few minor crashes. I checked out the parts list and things get pricey to replace.

I think if I had someone I could fly with (trainer cord) I'd really go for this package.

Can you hand launch it? If not how is the grass takeoff's and landings with relatively long grass? Most the soccer fields we have here aren't super short, they are about 3-4 inches long of grass. My cub flips on landing (a gentile one though) everytime I'm in the grass, and that's with the tail dragger gear. I wonder how the tricycle gear would take the friction of the grass?

rdaniell
July 6th, 2012, 19:32
Wow that looks great. I'm a little weary regarding the materials... it's a big step up from foam hehe... especially when it comes to crashes. I've only had 1 bad crash with my cub, and a few minor crashes. I checked out the parts list and things get pricey to replace. I think if I had someone I could fly with (trainer cord) I'd really go for this package. Can you hand launch it? If not how is the grass takeoff's and landings with relatively long grass? Most the soccer fields we have here aren't super short, they are about 3-4 inches long of grass. My cub flips on landing (a gentile one though) everytime I'm in the grass, and that's with the tail dragger gear. I wonder how the tricycle gear would take the friction of the grass?

Without someone to fly with you, this may not be the best idea. Also while it did great at my club's flying field, our grass gets cut every week. Not sure how good it would do where you fly. No, you cannot hand launch it.

RD

ryanbatc
July 7th, 2012, 07:28
Hmmm... maybe I'll stick with the apprentice - I know you can hand launch that one, even though it's fairly large. That T34 does look really good especially with that radio. There is an official RC club flying field (about 25 min from me) and they fly often... I'm sure they cut their grass.

rdaniell
July 7th, 2012, 08:22
Hmmm... maybe I'll stick with the apprentice - I know you can hand launch that one, even though it's fairly large. That T34 does look really good especially with that radio. There is an official RC club flying field (about 25 min from me) and they fly often... I'm sure they cut their grass.

If I may make one more suggestion. Give some thought to visiting the RC club's flying field. Vistors are always welcome at our field. Some of us, including myself, pay an extra yearly membership fee for visitors. If the visitor likes the experience of flying with us, then we invite them to become a dues paying member. All of us like to help newcomers to RC flying in anyway we can. I would be really surprised if you don't find the same kind of welcome where you live.

Best of luck with your future RC flying.

RD