PDA

View Full Version : Just venting

falcon409
June 28th, 2012, 20:23
I'm flying the World Tour Hops on the SOH server. This evenings hop was a bit over 1000nm to Auckland International. I was flying the Alpha B-1 @ 30,000'. I was about 100 from my destination and I decided to call up the "map". I clicked on the dropdown menu, selected MAP. . . . .and FSX locked up. I don't normally fly Tours like this one because the hops go on forever, but since the server I started on (23456) went south for some reason, I opted for the World Tour. . .I'd already finished the others. I think I'll go redo one of the one's I've already flown. I don't have the strength to go back to long flights like that just to have something like this happen. It just takes the wind out of your sails, lol.:isadizzy:

GypsyBaron
June 28th, 2012, 21:42
It is situations like that where a registered copy of FSUIPC4 comes in handy with the 'autosave' feature enabled.

I have used that on a number of occasions to 'resume' a long flight after an FSX lockup, CTD ot BSOD. I have
mine set to save the flight every 7 minutes and maintain 40 'saves' so I can go back anywhere over a 280 minute
time frame to pick up where I left off or review some portion(s) of a flight.

Paul

Naki
June 28th, 2012, 23:32
Don't you know Falcon?....no nukes in NZ. Govt froze your fsx before getting that Bone to close to our shores

falcon409
June 29th, 2012, 04:04
It is situations like that where a registered copy of FSUIPC4 comes in handy with the 'autosave' feature enabled.

I have used that on a number of occasions to 'resume' a long flight after an FSX lockup, CTD ot BSOD. I have
mine set to save the flight every 7 minutes and maintain 40 'saves' so I can go back anywhere over a 280 minute
time frame to pick up where I left off or review some portion(s) of a flight.

Paul
That's good to know Paul. I've had a registered copy for years now and the only thing I use it for is to map a few minor functions every now and then to my joystick.

GypsyBaron
June 29th, 2012, 08:48
That's good to know Paul. I've had a registered copy for years now and the only thing I use it for is to map a few minor functions every now and then to my joystick.

Be sure to update to the latest revision as there have been several additions to the capabilities
of FSUIPC4. Just go to Pete Dowson's forum and then the "Download Links" page.

http://forum.simflight.com/forum/30-fsuipc-support-pete-dowson-modules/

Once you enable the autosave feature you can also take advantage of the options to add
menu items for "Load Plan" and "Load Flight" that allow you to load a new (or forgotten to load) flight plan
without having to exit flight and to load a saved flight as well.

The load flight option is very useful if, as was your case, a crash occurred during a long flight and you were
at altitude. In those situations one should spawn to a location of choice, get airborne, clean up the A/C,
get oxygen mask on if applicable, and then use the load flight to teleport to the last saved position before the crash.

These features also work in multiplayer where the ability to load a plan or flight may be 'locked out' on nthe server unless you
leave the session first. The FSUIPC4 menu items will let you use those functions.

I use that 'utility'...more like a 'necessity' for me...to assign all my controls, creating multiple 'modes' for the mapping
of switches, etc along with the Lua script capabilities. On a few of my A2A aircraft I have 7 or 8 'modes'...that is to say
each switch on my dual Saitek throttle quads has 8 functions assigned to it. I can usually go from C&D to in flight
without resorting to mouse clicks or keyboard inputs :)

I just can't speak highly enough of the capabilities provided by this program and the excellent support provided
by Pete.

Paul