PDA

View Full Version : Hot!

PRB
June 28th, 2012, 12:34
Note the temp on the instrument panel. Book says it measures OAT, but it always seems to read a couple of degrees hotter than the actual outside air... :isadizzy::angryfir:

stiz
June 28th, 2012, 13:21
if you speed up in me mums car it gets colder, bout as reliable as a weather forecast :icon_lol:

PRB
June 28th, 2012, 13:49
Is true. Usually when I get into the thing at the end of the day to drive home, that's the hottest it will ever read, and it drops as I start driving. But not today. When I climbed in it read 104, and climbed steadily to 112, dropping to 111 by the time I got home. A 30-minute drive. Weather guessers say it's 107-ish. It got this hot in the Central Valley of California sometimes, but not so much humidity.

Willy
June 28th, 2012, 14:14
100.5 on my front porch this afternoon. I sure didn't like having to go out and work in it. But somethings have to be done regardless of the weather.

PRB
June 28th, 2012, 14:25
Watching the news, and the weather guesser says the humidity is 13%, which is exceptionally low. I guess I thought it was high because it's so friggen hot (Africa hot!!) Currently 108 and holding. Geez.

hey_moe
June 28th, 2012, 14:42
What I do is when the inside of my car is hot from sitting all day I roll down all the windows for a couple of minutes and put the ac on full load. After a few minutes roll them back up. It is much easier to cool down a 95 deg car than one that is 100 and up.

Willy
June 28th, 2012, 15:03
Paul, I forgot to tell you earlier to fasten your seat belt... :icon_lol:

Most of those "OAT" gauges in modern cars actually measure the air temp in the ducting leading to the engine. It's part of the computerized engine fuel control system.

aircav1970
June 28th, 2012, 15:16
Well,we had 113* yesterday and it is sitting at 111* right now here in Mesa,Az.:icon_eek:

keatles
June 28th, 2012, 15:38
The meteorologists (and therefore weather forecasters/reporters) give the OAT as measured inside a Stevenson screen (small box with louvred walls) to cancel the effects of radiation, wind, etc. It is very unlikely that an automobile will give a perfectly accurate reading.

:cool: ---------:snowman:

OBIO
June 28th, 2012, 20:30
It was hot here in North Central Ohio as well. The OAT thingie in my co-worker's Kia read 104 degrees out in the parking lot at 7:30 Pm....the temp thing at the bank read 105 when another co-worker drove to the drive through for some smokes at 7:30 PM...the thermometer on my mother-in-law's gazebo read 98 degrees in the shade at a little after 7:00 pm (12 miles difference between work and home). The thermometers inside the packing room at work read 115 degrees all night long!!!!! That is HOT HOT HOT!

OBIO

Brian_Gladden
June 29th, 2012, 06:11
Supposed be 90 tomorrow in Portsmouth NH at the Airshow. Gonna be kinda like standing on a frying pan... all that concrete. But the Blues are worth it :mixedsmi:

Should be a fun day!

http://bostonportsmouthairshow.com/schedule.php

cheezyflier
June 29th, 2012, 06:36
should be a very hot show! almost as hot as baby vegan booty.

b52bob
June 29th, 2012, 16:06
Well,we had 113* yesterday and it is sitting at 111* right now here in Mesa,Az.:icon_eek:

Mesa library at 3pm 115!

Willy
June 30th, 2012, 20:42
Today in my truck, coming out of Martin TN to the northeast of me.

stiz
June 30th, 2012, 21:30
well if it makes ya feel better ... we've been hovering at about 60ºF :icon_lol:

hey_moe
July 1st, 2012, 01:27
Can you box it up and ship some of dat cool weather over here?
well if it makes ya feel better ... we've been hovering at about 60ºF :icon_lol:

AussieMan
July 1st, 2012, 03:13
I will make you all jealous. Current temp here in my home town is 2 degrees celsius with snow forecast down to 700/800 meters. My home town of Lithgow is at 900 meters.

paiken
July 1st, 2012, 07:01
Looks like the midwest and east are experiencing a typical Arizona summer. I just hope they can get the electricity back up and running.

Pauke! Pauke!
July 1st, 2012, 15:16
Oh yes! It's going to be a long hot summer. The Midwest and East aren't like Arizona. It's a humid steambath compared to the dry heat of Arizona. That's what they say anyway. You don't feel the heat so much in Arizona because it has dry heat. Well, so does Hell. Now is when you need oven mitts to hold the steering wheel when you first enter the vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VkA8HoB5m8

aircav1970
July 1st, 2012, 16:00
Looks like the midwest and east are experiencing a typical Arizona summer. I just hope they can get the electricity back up and running.

I feel badly for those guys living in the south and on the east coast in this weather,some don't have A/C like we do here in Az.and when it hits 106* in "Hotlanta" it has gotta be misery in a sauna,not to mention the loss of electricity so they can't even get cool at the local lounge or go to a motel with air to get some relief!:icon_eek:

Pauke! Pauke!
July 1st, 2012, 16:43
I feel badly for those guys living in the south and on the east coast in this weather,some don't have A/C like we do here in Az.and when it hits 106* in "Hotlanta" it has gotta be misery in a sauna,not to mention the loss of electricity so they can't even get cool at the local lounge or go to a motel with air to get some relief!:icon_eek:

I agree. I just got out of Maryland, Virginia and the D.C. area 6/28/12. It was bad enough when I was there. I'll be back in the area again around 7/15/12 with a couple of days in Buffalo NY prior. I'm glad to be out of the mess for a couple weeks. The 105 degree weather at my home base in Southern NV is very pleasant considering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhf_zgtmAg

aeromed202
July 4th, 2012, 10:56
My little Weather Bug icon just clicked from blue 99 to red 100 degrees, with a dewpoint of 78. Last night I came home at 10:45 to find one of the window A/C units dead. After 4 days of heat killing or nearly killing people, and with lousy rig A/C I really needed to cool off. But at least I have electricity so far and had one last old clunker unit to man handle into place which worked. Soooo glad I'm off today:cool:

SPman
July 4th, 2012, 18:05
Hottest we normally get is about 115 (in the shade), on rare occasions (normally with bush fires around). days over 40C (104) though are getting more and more frequent each summer. The pool is good..........

As it's winter over here, the last week has been around 20C (68-70) during the day with clear skies and around 3C (38) at night.

OBIO
July 4th, 2012, 22:39
Got up to 97 degrees here in OBIOland today. Thank goodness we bought nice big energy efficient window A/C units for our place. The down stairs portion of our duplex is pretty open so can be cooled via a single 12 thousand BTU window unit. Bought a second 12 thousand BTU unit for upstairs, but the cool air was not making it from the bedroom to the office.....so we bought a 5 thousand BTU unit to cool the office. Luckily, this place is insulated like crazy (walls are rated at R20 and roof is rated at R30....outside walls are 6 inches thick and filled with dense spray foam insulation). The A/C units might have kicked on 3 times an hour (if that often even) today....and they only ran for just a few minutes each time. Right now, the office A/C is set at 75 degrees, but the room is actually down to a nice 71 degrees.

OBIO

HouseHobbit
July 5th, 2012, 11:07
Nearly melted today riding Scooterbike to see Mom, stopped a a Long light and the pavement and Harley was hot to say the least..
Glad I do have a air conditioner in the apartment..
Otherwise there would be a puddle of hobbit goo, with two eyes floating in it right now..
100 degrees+ here is too Hot for Ohio..
can't wait for Winter!! okay then I will be cold, but at least I can put on more clothing, right now can't get enough off to do any good..
And having furry feets doesn't help!!:icon_lol:
Naked hobbits forever!!

Great, now Katastrophe is laughing..
Anyone want a Kat??

brad kaste
July 5th, 2012, 11:29

:ichile:Hey Stiz,.....I'll be more than glad to FedEx a box of hot n' humid Chicagoland weather,....that's if you want it.:ichile:

stiz
July 6th, 2012, 23:18
no need ... i kinda like the weather we have!! :engel016:

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/77/40/774004_70e1fe7d.jpg

Crusader
July 7th, 2012, 06:42
Today they are predicting a record setter . 103-4 degrees with an index of 109 ! Next Tues I saw Hi 83 , Lo 59 !

Come on Tuesday ! Still nothing compared to some parts of the country. Overall this heat wave has sucked for just about everyone . Still parts of the Buckeye out of power from the storm last Fri(6/29) . Got mine back on the 4th at noon . AC getting one hell of a work out .

Rich :ichile::toilet:

OBIO
July 8th, 2012, 07:37
Yesterday, the bank thermometers on the way to work were all showing 106 degrees. The temp inside our packing room at work was a blistering 116 degrees. HOT HOT HOT. After lunch, I was doing the work normally done by 2 guys because two guys quit and one guy went home (wusses and sissies and slackers....that's what the 20 somethings prove to be anymore). I got so hot that I nearly passed out. I was sweating like the Niagra Falls and my vision started doing that black tunnel thing. I stopped, leaned forward with my hands on my knees until the tunnel opened back up, then I went and sat directly in front of one of the 4 foot diameter floor fans until I cooled off a bit.

Today's high is forcast to be a much cooler 83. Current temp at Mansfield Lahm is 79 degrees.

OBIO

Odie
July 8th, 2012, 08:42
Yesterday afternoon here in the DFW area in Texas, the heat index was around 107 with actual temp 104. Then, a storm front blew in and in about 40 minutes the temp dropped to 85 degrees. Looked
really nasty on the weather radar, but for us, dark clouds all around but nary a drop of rain. This was one of those storm fronts where you wait for the other shoe to fall after it blows in...Fortunately, all
we got was some stiff winds for a little bit and some much cooler temps!

Willy
July 8th, 2012, 16:24
We had some fronts blow through last night and got just enough rain to raise the humidity up to go along with with the high temps.

N2056
July 8th, 2012, 16:55
Saw this today...hot enough in D.C. to melt the asphalt on the ramp! :eek:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/plane-gets-stuck-at-reagan-national/2012/07/08/gJQAZgG9UW_story.html

LonelyplanetXO
July 9th, 2012, 12:21
You guys sure are having a summer, for better or worse. Personally I like the heat. We missed summer last year in New Zealand, rained and blew a gale for the entire Christmas period. The country runs on sunshine so people were pretty miserable and fishing/boating/camping places nearly went broke. Irony is it's mid-winter here, normally freezing and rain, hail, storms etc... the days are real cold to start but stunning; sunshine to burn. Here's the OAT gauge on the way to work this morning. A minute later it dropped another 1/2 degree but the new wagon has amazing technology absent from my last ride - a heater!
LPXO

Oh btw nice RV in your avatar N2056!

Tako_Kichi
July 9th, 2012, 12:31
Oh btw nice RV in your avatar N2056!
Oh boy! I'm just waiting for Rob to chime in now with 'That ain't no stinkin' RV!' (or words to that effect). :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

LonelyplanetXO
July 9th, 2012, 13:18
LOL, really? My bad... was ist das?

N2056
July 9th, 2012, 16:06
Thanks. The plane is Dad's Thorp T-18. That came from a picture taken by someone along the taxiway at Casa Grande, AZ when we arrived for the annual fly-in a few months ago. Here's the full pic...

SPman
July 9th, 2012, 17:32
Very nice!
I like Thorps.
Didn't mr Thorp design the Fletcher as well?
Another of my Favs......

LonelyplanetXO
July 9th, 2012, 18:34
Way cool N2056. I'm a Vans fan & the canopy in the avatar shot looked very similar..I'll have to google that puppy, looks great.

LPXO