PDA

View Full Version : OT: Queen to unveil Bomber Command memorial

BeauBrummie
June 27th, 2012, 23:40
Well about time too I say!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18600871 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18600871)

josepicos
June 28th, 2012, 00:01
:salute:........................................am azing:applause:

Bravo/4
June 28th, 2012, 08:50
Yes, it's about time, it's not the way to treat people who gave, and put their lives on the line for this country! Quite shocking, how long it's actually taken!
Politicians, don't you just love them all?

hairyspin
June 28th, 2012, 12:52
Yes, it's about time, it's not the way to treat people who gave, and put their lives on the line for this country! Quite shocking, how long it's actually taken!
Politicians, don't you just love them all?

Propagandists also deserve their share of the blame. I occasionally visit a former Lancaster rear gunner in my work and cannot forget how he told me his relief at the war's end. We pay tribute to the Few: the Many deserve it too. :salute:

Cuttles
June 29th, 2012, 08:11
Here, here. The Vets. then, and now, might 've even received a little more Royal attention.

Just thinking about what they did, at their ages; everyone knows the Lanc. is virtually a single-pilot 4-engine multi: that is no mean feat coping with European weather, icing conditions and without all the modern gear and aids of today. And would guess, 'NonComm' all the way: couldn't just ring up Company Frequency and ask "what about this...?". Also only probably the usual ~200 hours of training before Lancs. etc.

Let alone coping with searchlights (imagine that would be bad enough after hours of I/F all night), being shot to pieces, engine and airframe fires everywhere and looking after the 'Guys in the Back' simultaneously.

In today's world, just 'looking after the shop' by oneself would be enough to do.

Just seems incomprehensible. How can the rest of us ever understand or repay our debt to them?

And of course, same for all sides. No picnic anywhere. (Meant as Respect to all)