PDA

View Full Version : A Tribute to an Old Friend

N2056
June 26th, 2012, 19:55
She was commissioned in 1961 and was the first nuclear powered surface warship. She was referred to as "the last real cruiser", and even had an area of teakwood deck. She was a part of me for almost four years. I rode this ship around the world. Here it is while I was on it during it's last big maintenance period. I always liked the shot...

When I left it in 1992 it was about to make it's last deployment and end up in Norfolk to be decommissioned. After that it got a bit of a "trim" prior to being towed to Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. I found this shot of it as it was being towed out of San Diego. Ironically it is passing where I now work.

For many years it has quietly awaited it's fate.

I work for the Navy at a different Shipyard, but I have access to info at Puget. The hull has been moved from it's long time resting place and is about to go into a dry dock to be finished off. I recently found my very early attempts to model the ship many years ago. Having learned a lot since then I decided it should be upgraded. Here's my w.i.p. tribute to a lot of memories...

An early in-sim pic...

I'll post updates as I go. :salute:

N2056
June 28th, 2012, 19:59
I dug through some of my mementos from my days on board, and I found this picture from a newsletter to the families that was put out that featured things commemorating the 30th anniversary of the ship's commissioning. I'm in the group on the 0-1 level starboard side.

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/N2056/CGN%209/anniversery_small.jpg

Woof
July 7th, 2012, 03:38
Model is looking good. Well accurate at least; it's hard to call her a pretty ship with that giant superstructure!
Keep up the good work :)

yeppers
July 24th, 2012, 05:35
... it's hard to call her a pretty ship with that giant superstructure!Could be worse :blind:69637

fliger747
July 24th, 2012, 07:42
The top photo is at PSNS, Bremerton Washington, alongside the famous Hamerhead Crane. I remember her being in port during this period. It was a graceful ship, mostly because of the classic Cruiser hull lines. The aluminum superstructure was a bit controversial, used to save top weight, but problematic in fire.

T

N2056
July 25th, 2012, 16:08
I was assigned to her at the time that photo was taken. I knew the guy that took it. It's one of my favorites. I worked for Puget for several years before becoming a Portsmouth employee.
The superstructure was all steel. The ship rode poorly if it was running along the trough of the swell. :barf: