PDA

View Full Version : GEX, UTX or both?

swimeye
June 25th, 2012, 00:12
Hi!

I am considering to buy either UTX or GEX for USA and Canada. But I am a bit confused about the products, do they update the same things, can i use one of them or is it better to use both products at the same time?

Are they compatible to ORBX products?

Are they worth buying? How about framerates?

Any feedback regarding this is very appreciated, thank you.

Dimus
June 25th, 2012, 00:58
I will try to be as clear as possible.

UTX: Landclass and vector data (roads, railways, rivers, streams coastlines). Cities and small towns also show where they should be using the most appropriate lanclass. More precise landclass improves the appearance and the vector data help a lot by making visual navigation more lifelike. The impact on performance is scalable using the setup program and depends on how much vector data you use and how much traffic you put on the roads. The setup program tells you which options are more affecting performance.

GEX: Replacement ground textures. These textures are made using aerial images and are light sensitive. IMHO they are very good and improve the appearance of a very large area at a very low cost. However, what you see depends a lot on the landclass used so GEX is best when combined with a good landclass product like UTX or Scenerytech. There is no effect on performance from GEX alone.

If you have ORBX products, UTX/GEX will work outside the ORBX covered areas. If you deactivate ORBX then you will see UTX/GEX also in the ORBX covered areas. The products are generally compatible but it is prudent to follow the instructions provided by both during installation to avoid any problems.

Both products work very well together and are complementary. If you only have buy one of them it would be very hard to chose. If you like the FSX default textures, go for UTX. IF you don't go for GEX and try getting a landclass only product like Scenerytech. The good thing is that for both you can get a refund from Flight1 if you don't like them.

swimeye
June 25th, 2012, 01:13
Thank you very much Dimus, that answered all my questions. :salute: