PDA

View Full Version : P-51D exaust stream?

skyhawka4m
June 22nd, 2012, 21:24
Can anyone tell me how I can add a very slight exaust stream to my P-51's? Its very visible in many videos I've seen of them and would like to have that in sim also if possible.

roger-wilco-66
June 23rd, 2012, 01:37
Good thought, that also goes for other ww2 aircraft. Most, if not all, had a visible exhaust plume, expecially under high power settings.
I also wonder if it would be possible to add a "hot-exhaust" air effect under the exhaust stacks, which just blurrs the background a bit.

Cheers,
Mark

Sascha66
June 23rd, 2012, 03:12
It should not be too difficult to add another entry in the [SMOKESYSTEM] section of the aircraft configuration file.

You can find the quite simple instructions to do this eg in the readme file for this addon meant for cropdusting trail effects for FSX. It even comes with a selection of smoke trail effects which should be just right for a p-51 exhaust trail:

http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=160800

The only thing you need to do is find the point at which the smoke trails should originate, then add a single smoke trail (the addon by tom Tiedman adds multiple entries to achieve multiple trails for crop dusting effect) to the aircraft.cfg file using one of the included effects, something like this:

[SMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.x=-5.01, -27.31, -2.31, fx_smoke_f6 <--- gray smoke effect

where the x is your previous last effect number + 1 and the numbers before the fx_smoke_f6 entry are the coordinates of the emanation point.

I don't know which specifically is the x, y or z coordinate as it's been some time since I did this last but some experimenting should see you find that out quickly.

You need to adjust those to match the P-51 exhaust nozzle through a bit of trial and error.

If you follow this simple procedure you should see the exhaust smoke effect when you hit the I key.:icon30:

If you want a smoke trail for each side you have to do the procedure for each side changing the y-coordinate accordingly (width).

Hope this helps!

Sascha

racartron
June 23rd, 2012, 05:16
While I haven't added anything to the large array of P-51's out there for fsX, I do routinely use this set up for several birds. It has colored flames plus a bit of smoke. your will have to play with the coordinates but it does produce cool visuals.

//------------ ExhaustFlames--------#2=strobe to control, but I preferNav lights
//index,type, long, lat, vert, fx_filename
light.11= 3, -20.100, 11.10, -3.90, fx_V12_IDLE_starb,
light.12= 3, -20.100, 11.10, -3.90, fx_V12_MAX_starb,
light.13= 3, -20.100, 11.30, -3.90, fx_V12_Exhaust,
light.14= 3, -20.100, -11.10, -3.90, fx_V12_IDLE_starb,
light.15= 3, -20.100, -11.10, -3.90, fx_V12_MAX_starb,
light.16= 3, -20.100, -11.10, -3.90, fx_V12_Exhaust,

In case ya don't have the effects, here they are.

Blade124
June 23rd, 2012, 08:56
We used to do this on all of our older FS9 aircraft, using the "I" key. It was just a very faint smoke stream, but added a lot especially when doing fly by's. On the Accu-Sim stuff, the smoke is dynamic in the sense of white for water, blue for oil, and black for fuel (which emits from the actual exhaust stacks under the appropriate conditions). As you add more power the auto mixture does richen the mixture, even to the point of making it a 'rich rich." The result is a black smoke of un-burned fuel. This keeps the engine cool physically and also lowers the power because you have gone beyond the optimum mixture for power. It's a simple and effective way to soften the power curve, which protects the engine.

Scott.

VCN-1
June 23rd, 2012, 09:03
You can actually use the smoke effects. You can use up to 99 settings and doing simple xml gauges you can eliminate the use of lights and their limitations.
The gauges are placed in the [Vcockpit01] entries in the panel fig.

I think the biggest problem is getting the accurate XYZ coordinates.

This works in P3D also.

VCN-1