PDA

View Full Version : Recommended add-ons? (For old "newcomer"!)

ndicki
December 29th, 2008, 05:15
I've just bought IL-2 1946... (Cheers from the IL-2 mob and gnashing of teeth from the CFS3 crowd - no fighting, please!) and was wondering what the best add-ons are and where to get them from - other than the obvious place! At the mo, it's 100% from the box.

I remember from early IL-2, there was a patch to add swastikas on German aircraft, for example.

Then - can mixture control be achieved with a slider, or must it be with separate keys?

HundertzehnGustav
December 29th, 2008, 09:16
None

besides the stuff at Every-plane-arcade, there is nothing substantial to buy.

i shoved out 30 Yuroes for two campaign packs by "pluswave" wich , all in all, dissapointed me...

stick to stock + addon campaigns+DCG+online play.

and join a group of likeminded fliers, wich whom you can fly often. That has so far been the most intense part of the game, at least in mine humble opinion.:friday:

Nausicaa
December 29th, 2008, 13:45
Ndicki :jawdrop: in Il2

welcome to IL2 ! :ernae:

First of all patch the game to 4.08, then 4.09(beta) and don't forget the 4.09 skins pack that changes all default skins to ones made by the community (officially supported by Oleg hehe), then install Mat Manager for swastika and be sure to install IL2 Stab.

There is a lot more, but this would be a good, healthy start.

Nausicaa
December 29th, 2008, 15:52
ah yes when you have patched to 4.09, come back here and I'll explain some stuff about the conf.ini file.

HundertzehnGustav
December 29th, 2008, 23:11
Hyperlobby, get that.

Naus, why use mat manager "for the Hakenkreuz"

i did that via the conf.ini.

Mat manager i would use for markings, not the Cross.

But maybe it I better stfu, seeing you tell someone how to use the HK makes me :jawdrop::eek:

:costumes:

mission4today.com
flying-legends.net
lowengrin.com

ndicki
December 30th, 2008, 00:27
This sounds interesting...

I'm already up to 4.08 (basic instinct!), so I need to find the 4.09 patch.

Editing markings...?

HundertzehnGustav
December 30th, 2008, 01:21
http://simhq.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1388288/Aces_Artwork_IL2_MAT_Manager_v.html

on the planes, wich wear a skin, the different national markings are applied, like a sticker on your Car.
These sticker textures (tga format i think) have a *.mat file attached, hence the name of Mat manager

the default ones are.... acceptable... but a few enthousiasts made this quite good program to improve things. lots of choices... Main Markings, styles colors, numbers/colors, Il-2 spinners colors...:friday:
http://gruenherzjaeger.de/modules/mydownloads/cache/shots/MatManager.jpg

canot load the acesartwork.co.uk site tho...
http://www.acesartwork.co.uk/

down?

also check netwings library, they might have saved a copy of the Mat Manager.

ndicki
December 30th, 2008, 02:17
OK, I'm up to speed - everything installed and working.

I've just flown a test mission, and Finnish aircraft are now looking just right, the intro movie is off, high gore is on, etc, etc. Getting there... And it's now all in English. :ernae:

HundertzehnGustav
December 30th, 2008, 02:37
what about the flying?
try.... the P-40... or the ...F4F... or the.... LERCHE!!:costumes:

comments?
have a go at the Spit VIII... a wonderfully balanced Plane.
:applause:

Nausicaa
December 30th, 2008, 02:58
110, because the Mat Manager has the option to enable the Hakenkreuz, and that in different sizes, weathered or not, etc, like all choices in Mat Manager.
Enabling the HK in the conf.ini file? I didn't know this was possibe. Where ?

Ndicki, please tell me your computer specs, resolution fo your screen etc, then I can see what we can do for you in the conf.ini file.
Patch 4.09beta and 4.09 skin patch can be found on the mission4today site under "official game patches".

N.

HundertzehnGustav
December 30th, 2008, 03:07
110, because the Mat Manager has the option to enable the Hakenkreuz, and that in different sizes, weathered or not, etc, like all choices in Mat Manager.
Enabling the HK in the conf.ini file? I didn't know this was possibe. Where ?

maaaaan.....:isadizzy:
LOLZ

haven't we had a thread about that subject recently, some "two weeks be sure" ago?

Hakenallowed=1
...in the [game] section?

i think it is.
works for me on 4.08 and 4.09 and both of 'em in modded state too.:ernae:

huh how to access the old threads?
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=31109

that one... have had it working ever since i saw that thread!

Dimus
December 30th, 2008, 03:21
Hello Ndicky!

I see the chaps have you up and running with the stock game at it's best. Mat Manager is a great utility.

Once you are happy with your setup I would highly recommend visiting the "obvious place" for more. It changes the experience completely.

ndicki
December 30th, 2008, 04:28
Specs:

P4 2.8C on P4i65G, nvidia 7600GS AGP, 1534MB DDR1, about 500GB storage, etc, etc. Screen resolution 1024x765x32.

I have no idea of frame rates, but the settings I'm using are higher-end, and other than the very occasional stutter, I'm not seeing any evidence of slow FPS.

Got the 4.09 patches installed as well.

ndicki
December 30th, 2008, 04:38
OK, first problem. MAT manager won't recognise 1946. It's looking for il2.exe or pf.exe, not il2fb.exe as in 1946.

Off to look for the fix... :banghead: :censored: :censored: :censored: :costumes:

Edit: OK, got it going. You need to make a copy of il2fb.exe and rename it il2.exe. Why make things easy when you can make them difficult!

Nausicaa
December 30th, 2008, 06:46
That is because the Matmanager was done before 1946, and at the time the exe was still named "il2", not "il2fb".

Are you sure your resoltion is correct? Do you have a widescreen ?

Nausicaa
December 30th, 2008, 06:59
HakenAllowed=1That line has to be added it seems.

ndicki
December 30th, 2008, 07:41
Brain gone dead. 1024x768x32!

Having great fun here - I'm slowly coming to terms with the mission writer... It makes a change to be able to play the mission instantly. That was one CFS2 feature I miss in CFS3, but which seems to work very well in IL2. Don't tell the guys next-door I said that!

Nausicaa
December 30th, 2008, 09:02
Ndicli,

it seems you have a 4:3 monitor then? LCD I presume.

The first thing you should do is open the configuration utility in your games root folder and set the game to Open GL. Do not use DirectX. Open GL runs better, but most and forall allows graphical features that DirectX doesn't. Set OpenGL and your screen resolution. Then go to the config ini file and set this under the OpenGL section in the bottom:

[Render_OpenGL]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=2
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=1
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=1
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=0
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=0
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=1
Forest=2
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=3
Water=4
Effects=1
ForceShaders1x=0

PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0

HardwareShaders=1 enables the perfect settings. This works only in OpenGL. Then LandGeom=3 will change the horizonline from 32km (default) to 76km. This is a huge difference, you should not miss that! Water=4 is optional, but will give you the best water ever seen in a flight sim, even better then FSX...you have to test the effect on your rig though.

HundertzehnGustav
December 30th, 2008, 09:05
Hahahahaha good one lol lol

hop into the TBM-3 once you have your controls all customized to your CFS3 habits, and post some screens.

ah, get some PROPER carrier action done.
how i wish we had som of Seacondors stuff in 46...

HundertzehnGustav
December 30th, 2008, 09:07
That line has to be added it seems.
RGR!!
/beer/

HundertzehnGustav
December 30th, 2008, 09:19
and once again i see that dreaded water=4... and wish i would already have my Nvidia 9600...
mumble grumble rumble

HundertzehnGustav
December 30th, 2008, 09:22
also try forrest=3, THAT will give you the best green leaves trees you have ever seen in a flight sim.

in my opinion...
but overall the fauna in this game is sorely lacking... need to change that!

ndicki
December 30th, 2008, 11:07
Controls all set up as in CFS3, and that's my version of CFS3 which I set up like CFS2, but as that was set up the way I set up CFS1...

I can't find how to padlock an enemy aircraft and then switch between padlock view and normal cockpit view. Sometimes I wonder how people ever manage to play more than one game! I find it difficult.

No, it's a standard cathode tube effort that I got in Germany ages ago - Can't remember how many inches; 19, I think. Anyway, it does the job.

Off to look at the settings, etc.

Nausicaa
December 30th, 2008, 12:33
I think water=4 is a much better immersion winner than forest=3, but that is just my opinion hehe...and Bob, please don't write so little, I already need glasses and you make my life difficult, lol.

HundertzehnGustav
December 30th, 2008, 13:41
you can use the mouse to look around if you wish...
but as an oldtimer... tu ne t as pas acheté trackIR4 pour noel?

ndicki
December 31st, 2008, 07:40
Water on 4 and forest on 3, both. It is looking good - surprisingly good!

No, I never got around to getting TrackIR - each time, the money got diverted... New alternator on the car, new motherboard, wife wanting a birthday present - and I kept forgetting to send off, too.

Il2 supports TrackIR, then - in all 6 dimensions?

Nausicaa
December 31st, 2008, 10:21
Concerning the eye candy water...pacific maps support transparent water. You can see coral reefs and such.

HundertzehnGustav
December 31st, 2008, 10:42
yep, in 6dof... type that in google and i gues syou will find a few usefull videoclips. (youtube?)

Dutch_P47M
January 3rd, 2009, 12:46
Go to http://Mission4today.com and get the battle of Britain campaign.
or to the IL-2 official Ubisoft forum www.pacific-fighters.com

Best thing in IL-2, flying that old Russian bomber, you should try it.

To avoid black holes setting to change to:
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.15
PolygonOffsetUnits=-3.0
Why specific this values and not -10 or something I do not know but It helps.

Seeing at your computer spec's I think that you can't get the max. performance when using 4.09, but you always try or overclock your graphiccard.

forgot something: use the hacked shortcut so you don't have to use your DVD, where use Google.

Dutch_P47M
January 4th, 2009, 00:22
Water on 4 and forest on 3, both. It is looking good - surprisingly good!

No, I never got around to getting TrackIR - each time, the money got diverted... New alternator on the car, new motherboard, wife wanting a birthday present - and I kept forgetting to send off, too.

Il2 supports TrackIR, then - in all 6 dimensions?

Ok no Euro's :hand: then go for Freetrack webside, they have also a France site.

ndicki
January 4th, 2009, 02:25
Ok no Euro's :hand: then go for Freetrack webside, they have also a France site.

I looked at that... But it strikes me that you get what you pay for; a lot of work, and then it probably won't work properly anyway. TrackIR seems pretty well foolproof - that's important if you're me! :caked:

PS I'm not French!

polecat0942
January 4th, 2009, 07:01
I have heard of a way of making your own tracker using a Wii mote. There are things on youtube about it and it seems to work pretty good. Just throwing that out there.

Cheers,

John

Dutch_P47M
January 4th, 2009, 09:13
Ndicki, sorry, about this, but "near Paris" so I *****

Ok I will make my mistake good: for starters see also the simHQ forum there is a sticky for 1946 newcomers.

Strange thing is here going on, you from CSF to IL.
I started on IL1946 because the comments on CFS3 was not so good. After I noticed the OFF3 game, I decided to buy CFS3 and indeed I must admit IL1946 is a much better performer. But using the MAW/PTO/Korea/ETO adons, its now more to the CFS3+adons game. I hope they can hack IL because game could be very promising for adons, I think better then CSF3. (see AAA forum :censored:)

Ndicki: Much fun to IL and I'm going now for the CFS3 nightfighter adons. And do not forget to fly that 4mot russian oltimer bomber, its fun.

ronnybengt
January 7th, 2009, 10:36
good luck ndicki.....:amen:

i cant keep track of all commands in 2 simsat one time...

46 looks pretty good.....
Still.....:focus:
R