PDA

View Full Version : Coolsky/McPhat Studios DC9-30 development pictures

spins_vmfa321
June 20th, 2012, 16:43
Hello all,
Wow, this is my first time, EVER, posting on Sim-Outhouse, after having browsed the forums for so many years!

My name is Jamal and I'm the lead 3D dev for McPhat Studios. I wanted to take the opportunity to post some progress shots of an aircraft we have been working on for a long time for Coolsky, the DC9-30. This project has been going on for I believe close to 3 years. I joined during the second year of development to work specifically on the virtual cockpit. It has been a very... VERY challenging experience, as all of the devs on this forum can attest!
I'm not much of a screenshot artist, so apologies for the lack of polish. But here are some WIP pics:

67837 67838 67839 67844
67840 67841 67842 67843

We've got an amazing group of texture artists who have been producing some incredible artwork for this project. As a 3D artist who can't paint, it's been awesome seeing something I've made really come alive when really good painters are involved.

The cockpit is fully (99%) functional. Almost every single switch, knob, and button in the VC is animated and has a function, including every single circuit breaker. And the very few knobs that don't, primarily for the oxygen system (the masks are not simulated), I don't think will really be missed.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know! And feel free to check out my horrible flickr page for more shots of the model here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27277424@N04/

Thanks much and let me know what you all think!
Jamal

P38man
June 20th, 2012, 17:56
Freakin' AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.mcphatstudios.net/images/stories/multimedia/dc9classic/flight1-coolsky-mcphat-dc-9-repaint-fsx-9.jpg

bushpilot
June 20th, 2012, 22:07
Brilliant! I'm a big fan of Coolsky Super80, I have both Classic and Pro. Classic is probably my most flown tubeliner in FSX. I just wish I had time to fly tubes these days.

Will there be a freighter model?

Shylock
June 21st, 2012, 00:06
I guess it looks OK......LOL that looks freaking amazing!!!!!!!!! Great work.

spins_vmfa321
June 21st, 2012, 02:32
Brilliant! I'm a big fan of Coolsky Super80, I have both Classic and Pro. Classic is probably my most flown tubeliner in FSX. I just wish I had time to fly tubes these days.

Will there be a freighter model?

Heya Bushpilot,
There are no current plans to go beyond the -30 passenger version, but you never know! I don't think a cargo version would be very difficult to do!

Jamal

vora
June 21st, 2012, 05:43
Oh, i just love the old tubeliners with steam gauges.

My CS 707 and 727 scream for a DC9 companion :)

bushpilot
June 21st, 2012, 06:05
There are no current plans to go beyond the -30 passenger version, but you never know! I don't think a cargo version would be very difficult to do!

Okay maybe a freighter expansion in the future. I can see myself doing shorthaul cargo flights between rugged airfields. That's the kind of tube-flying I like :)

orionll
June 21st, 2012, 10:33
Looks great! My dad used to work for Northwest at the airport, and he's seen a lot of DC9-30s. Nice to see one in FSX. ;)

Damien
June 21st, 2012, 13:39
Beautiful stuff coming.. can't wait! Any chance of that T-37 coming in the future?

-Damien

spins_vmfa321
June 22nd, 2012, 12:47
Beautiful stuff coming.. can't wait! Any chance of that T-37 coming in the future?

-Damien

Heya Damian,
On the T-37, unfortunately no.... we made that for FS2000 and 2004, just about a decade ago. Funny enough, the website still exists (http://www.t37sim.com/).
That was the first cockpit I made where every single needle and instrument were 3D, and all the switches were functional per the technical manual. I actually ran into a UPT student at an airshow about 8 years ago who had used it as a training supplement. Fun times. :)