PDA

View Full Version : R&R ?

napamule
June 20th, 2012, 15:01
Just curious as to what all you simmers do for Rest & Recreation (ie: when not flying). Myself, I play FreeCell. 1000's of games and I keep 80% win precentage. What is your passion?
Chuck B
Napamule

luckydog
June 20th, 2012, 15:22
Markin' my territory and chasin' cats.......

T Square
June 20th, 2012, 18:00
"Wood Butcher"

Play around in my shop doing wood work, mostly scrollsaw, desk sets, fret work type stuff, toys for my Grand Kids, last Christmas made my Grandson a rocking airplane, but lately haven't had a lot of spare cash for lumber.

Dangerousdave26
June 20th, 2012, 18:15
Until Monday when I beat up my should I did a lot of mountain biking

Now I am off for 6 weeks while I heal. I was well on track to put 1000 miles on my bike before the end of September now I am less likely to complete the task.

Daveroo
June 20th, 2012, 18:25
i dont do anything it seems....i slept all day today and im ready for bed again...i havent drank alcohol in a long time...but i feel like i went on a week long bender.............

fxsttcb
June 21st, 2012, 03:42
FXST Twin Cam B

TeaSea
June 21st, 2012, 15:54
Work.

Willy
June 21st, 2012, 17:53
Work around the farm, take care of the horses and other critters around here.

rpjkw
June 22nd, 2012, 10:28
Read and keep the pooch occupied. Or vice-versa? Since napamule asked the question, I realized I don't do a darned thing all day worth talking about. That's the joy of retirement.

Bob

WarHorse47
June 22nd, 2012, 11:30
I like cleaning and detailing our cars if the weather is nice. In the evenings I do a lot of reading or watching a good DVD (movie or documentary). In-between I hang around various forums.
:ernae:
--WH

napamule
June 22nd, 2012, 11:54
Bob,
I resemble that remark ('don't do anything worth...'). I am also retired and I don't HAVE to do NOTHING! (ha). It depends, but I guess urine the 'Golden' Years (hehe). My motto is 'No Stress'. But I lie. I just spent the last 2 days working on FDEs for Ito's 'God Phoenix' and 'FW190 Space Wolf'. Both use the same cfg (other than cnt pts, lights, etc) and both use same air file in FS9 and FSX. Amazing. Keeps me strong. But spent-phew. Tomorrow I have to wash dishes and go do some laundry just in case I take a shower (haha). Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

rdaniell
June 22nd, 2012, 12:37
Read and keep the pooch occupied. Or vice-versa? Since napamule asked the question, I realized I don't do a darned thing all day worth talking about. That's the joy of retirement. Bob

I'm with you Bob. Except my ole bird dog died about 5 years ago so I don't even have to keep her occupied anymore. Not that I minded doing that as she and I did a lot of quail hunting when she was alive. I haven't been but one or two times since her death. Just ain't the same anymore.

RD

cheezyflier
June 22nd, 2012, 19:46
when i'm not simming, i'm working, if i have a job at that time. aside from that there's indoor r/c helicopters. i'm a total noob, and my latest is a collective pitch that flies 3-d. i have yet to actually fly it for more than a few seconds. it's way more heli than i'm ready for.
i used to play guitar, but depression and a lack of anger management kinda put that on hiatus.
i ride my bike a fair amount, weather and ankle permitting. then there's the 2 doggies. they need to be kept active too. if i let them, they'd be total couch potatoes...that shed like crazy.
i also collect martial arts films, and other types of asian cinema. laugh if you want, but i like the korean dramas alot.

OBIO
June 22nd, 2012, 22:19
I don't do much simming these days. I work 6 days a week at a produce packaging plant. When I'm not working, I'm doing things around the house that need done. For R&R, I try to squeeze in a bit of simming to go along with my other interests: our two dogs, 4 fish tanks, watching movies (DVD and Netflix) and some photography. I attempt to do a bit of reading now and then as well. But right now, most of my R&R time is spent working on my car....a 1996 Chrysler Sebring LXi that I bought 6 weeks ago today (Friday...so I guess it's actually yesterday), drove for a week, had it break down, and been buying really pricey parts in the hopes of getting it back on the road....next purchase for the car is a $150 alternator and the $40 worth of intake manifold gaskets that I will need to replace as I have to pull the intake manifold off the engine to be able to get to the alternator top bolt.....who the hell designed this car?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

OBIO

Naismith
June 22nd, 2012, 22:42
I don't do much simming these days. I work 6 days a week at a produce packaging plant. When I'm not working, I'm doing things around the house that need done. For R&R, I try to squeeze in a bit of simming to go along with my other interests: our two dogs, 4 fish tanks, watching movies (DVD and Netflix) and some photography. I attempt to do a bit of reading now and then as well. But right now, most of my R&R time is spent working on my car....a 1996 Chrysler Sebring LXi that I bought 6 weeks ago today (Friday...so I guess it's actually yesterday), drove for a week, had it break down, and been buying really pricey parts in the hopes of getting it back on the road....next purchase for the car is a $150 alternator and the $40 worth of intake manifold gaskets that I will need to replace as I have to pull the intake manifold off the engine to be able to get to the alternator top bolt.....who the hell designed this car?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

OBIO

Your big mistake there was buying American ....... I'll get my hat.:pop4:

David_L6
June 23rd, 2012, 02:13
Seems like all I ever do is work. I work 12 hour shifts (rotating shifts) so I don't have time to do much when I'm working.

I have dirt bikes and ATVs that I try to ride once in a while when I'm not working but they don't get much use. I like to fish but my boats haven't been in the water in a close to a year. I used to race hydroplanes but I haven't been in one of them in a long time (5 years) either.

I guess I don't do much of anything but work. :frown:

Panther_99FS
June 23rd, 2012, 07:07
Check out my avatar...:mixedsmi:

OBIO
June 23rd, 2012, 07:55
Your big mistake there was buying American ....... I'll get my hat.:pop4:

The only thing American on the Sebring is the name Chrysler. The car was built by Mitsubishi....engine, trans, suspension, everything is Mitsubishi. Even the key to start the car says Mitsubishi on it.

OBIO

aeromed202
June 23rd, 2012, 08:00
Endless house work concocted by the interior designer so-everything-has-to-be-authentic-looking wife (luv ya hun, really). I re-cert next year so I log class and lecture time for required CEUs. I'm on a couple of committees at work as well as do odd tasks and research where I can. About the only me time is an hour before bed and before heading out for work when I read or do this. Right now the kid is doing her turn sanding her bedroom floor to bare wood for refinishing, I'm up in 10 mins. 5 24-grit belts down and mostly bare wood so we're getting there.

Oh, R&R. I guess I go inert when I can.

Willy
June 23rd, 2012, 12:44
The only thing American on the Sebring is the name Chrysler. The car was built by Mitsubishi....engine, trans, suspension, everything is Mitsubishi. Even the key to start the car says Mitsubishi on it.

OBIO

Sounds like the opposite of my truck. It says Nissan, but everything on it was built here in the US.

Roger
June 23rd, 2012, 13:27
R&R for me is weekends and not having to get up at 06.30 for work. If I reach 65 then I will still have to work part-time at least as my pension will just about cover my utility bills and council tax, so to eat I'll need to earn.

papab
June 24th, 2012, 14:52
Sail
Wonderful relaxation

Have a 34 foot British design MG335 in Tampa Bay

Lot like flying...
Rick

Rami
June 24th, 2012, 15:17
Napamule,

That's a good question, so I'm game. I love to travel internationally, and have had the opportunity to meet some of our SOH brethren in the process. I love riding roller coasters, even the insane ones. :mixedsmi: I love to fish, both brook / river and deep-sea fishing. Swimming is also something I do to relax and de-stress, but that is also to keep the circulation strong in my legs after my blood clots. I also recently took up flying a Cessna, and found the experience thrilling, wondrous, and spiritual.

Can't say I'm much of a hunter though, I've never owned or fired a gun.

I read and meditate, as well as help my neighbor mechanic work on cars he's restoring for himself. He pays me in beer and the occasional ride, or repairs for our cars when needed at cost or a discount. As a teacher, I find that I have to build in a little "me" time when I can, it's one of those jobs that going full throttle for excessive periods can burn you out so bad you leave the profession.

In all honesty, having a job where you work 39 weeks a year, though admittedly just as much off the clock as on, does allow me to enjoy my hobbies, including simming, a good deal, and I readily admit that.