PDA

View Full Version : New PC for FSX is underway...

FlameOut
June 19th, 2012, 17:23
Well, I finally got serious about working extra shifts so I could get this new build.
I've been sucking this old P4 titty long enough. The milk has been sour and mostly dry for a long time. Heck, my "Rooting Reflex" does not work any more! :icon_lol:

I've been all over the INTERNET trying to get myself educated about all of this PC technology. It just boggles the mind most times.
I've booked marked and started reading websites that Ted and Harleyman gave us for reference to OC'ing, hardware, etc;( where are they ) and all of the other folks here that have done the same, you know who you are. I thank all of you.:applause:

I know that a lot of you highly recommend New Egg, I did purchase some of the components from them, which arrived today BTW.

I've been over to AVSIM's : MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware Sub-forum reading until I was blue in the face and had throughly scrambled my brain, heck, even my "four-eyed" eyeballs just about exploded!
I've also watched a lot of You Tube videos.

Well, this is what I have... I used a company that I selected from the Pricewatch.com website for the major assembly...I've never done a complete build before, so they are doing the critical steps.
PortaTech is the company. I could have just as easily chosen another. It was slightly cheaper for me to do it this way and it alleviated some of my crawling nerves !

================================================== ================================================== ======================
Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS... I wanted that UEFI bios, did I spell that correctly ?

Windows 7 Premium 64-bit

1TB SATA3 - 6gb/sec 7200RPM (64MB Cache) Hard Drive

850 Watt Power Supply - Dual PCIe 2.0 Compliant ???? ... the new video card is PCIe 3.0,I believe this may have to do with the 6-pin or 6+2 pin connectors, I think the new is 6/8 pin. I remember Ted telling us to make sure it had a single 12-volt single rail also. I think it does, I remember seeing + 12 volt a couple of times in the description.

12x Blue-Ray Writer/DVD/CD READ & WRITE Drive (Sata)

Premium Assembly, Setup, Pretest, Set CPU FSB, Set Power / Cooling, Bios Update

1 cardreader-int All In One Internal Card Reader (Black)

3 Year Direct Replacement Warranty (With Free - Lifetime Tech Support)

And from NewEgg

GIGABYTE GTX680 2 GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI-E 3.0 x 16

CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 16 GB (4X4) DDR3 2133 MHZ (PC3 1700) CL 9 timing @ 9,11,10,27... I wanted 2400 MHZ ram but just could not swing it right now..was only available G-Skill 32 GB...

CORSAIR H100 LIQUID COOLING

... and I'm gonna try to stuff it into this little ol' case that I clearly remember arguing with ... 67786... bought it back in 2007 or '08 I think.

a Thermaltake Armour VH6000 case..... Grand total $2,650.69

Well, here's wishing me luck !