PDA

View Full Version : Help with MS Sidewinder Prescision 2 Joystick

dharry
June 17th, 2012, 14:30
I resurrected an old Pentium 4 based PC with Windows XP on recently and have been trying to get a spare Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2 USB joystick to work. The problem is that Windows XP (SP2) just doesn’t detect it, and it is not listed in the control panel game controllers utility so I can't add it manually. I have had it working on my Windows 7 based laptop so I know it works. I dug out the driver CD and found it was for Windows 98. As for the PC, it discovered and worked fine when I plugged in my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 USB joystick in. Does anyone have any ideas as there seems to be no information or support for the joystick on the Microsoft site?

dswo
June 17th, 2012, 18:18
I had the same problem today, with a W7 PC that had it working before, but hadn't used it in a year. Solution: turn off all power, unplug PC, hold power button for five seconds (to drain capacitors), replug PC, turn on power, boot Windows. Maybe just shutting and down and restarting would have been sufficient. I know this is basic, but reloading drivers, etc. didn't work and this did.

Willy
June 17th, 2012, 18:29
I use the original version of that stick (before the 2) and the drivers for it are included in XP 64. When I got this comp, I just plugged it in and it was good to go, no muss no fuss. It worked the same way on my previous XP machine which was SP2.

napamule
June 18th, 2012, 10:13
I have a MS Sidewinder Precision 2 stick that is occassionally not 'recognized' when PC wakes from hibernation, which I only find out about when I start up FS9 or FSX. No problem. I just un-plug the 'regular' stick I use, and plug in a $5 MS Precision 2 (with aerlion 'problem') that I bought at a 2nd hand store for 'spare parts'. This works to re-set things enough for me to exit FS and swtich sticks and re-start MS and it's then 'ok'. I run Win XP Sp3. I don't understand it-I just use it (like electricity). I am not going to do anything like mess with drivers (which won't work) or go do 'update' from Windows in hopes it will 'fix' things (it wont!). Just get another USB (!) stick ('junk', or $5) and try this trick. Saved me a lot of headaches as I LOVE my MSSW2 stick and can't imagine flying with anything else. I believe this is an acceptable 'work around' as the stick works perfect once it's recognized.
Chuck B
Napamule

dharry
June 19th, 2012, 12:57
I have a MS Sidewinder Precision 2 stick that is occassionally not 'recognized' when PC wakes from hibernation, which I only find out about when I start up FS9 or FSX. No problem. I just un-plug the 'regular' stick I use, and plug in a $5 MS Precision 2 (with aerlion 'problem') that I bought at a 2nd hand store for 'spare parts'. This works to re-set things enough for me to exit FS and swtich sticks and re-start MS and it's then 'ok'. I run Win XP Sp3. I don't understand it-I just use it (like electricity). I am not going to do anything like mess with drivers (which won't work) or go do 'update' from Windows in hopes it will 'fix' things (it wont!). Just get another USB (!) stick ('junk', or $5) and try this trick. Saved me a lot of headaches as I LOVE my MSSW2 stick and can't imagine flying with anything else. I believe this is an acceptable 'work around' as the stick works perfect once it's recognized.
Chuck B
Napamule

Thanks for the replies guy's. I have managed to get it working after swapping between the Precision 2 and Force Feedback 2 on another PC several times until my Precision 2 got detected and started working. I can't explain what triggered it to be identified but after I tested it, i then plugged it into the PC that i intend using it on and to my surprise, it was then identified on that one also and now works fine. It is almost as though, the joystick suffered temporary amnesia. How bizarre.