PDA

View Full Version : SIM SKUNK WORKS AV8-B HARRIER II Plus VERSION 1.0.0 RELEASED

LUCE1
June 16th, 2012, 10:54
- The SSW Harrier IIB Plus looks like the most realistic model so far available for FSX, its characteristics make it in in many aspects unique, there are currently no other Harrier for FSX with its features.
- This is an interim release, there are some minor details of the internal model that need attention, instead systems are complete, the model can be used without limitations; the high expectations of the model and the numerous user requests have persuaded us to publish it even if not 100% complete. A complete version release will follow in a few days.
- This is the first release of a completely new model, we can not claim to be error free, that's why we rely on feedback from our users, we can safely declare that we pay attention to each bug that will be reported on the support forum.
- This is the first impression of a real Harrier pilot that yesterday tested the SSW Harrier pre-release:
"Congratulation! This AB-8B+ is realistic, the graphic and the details are showed with excellent care. Impressed ! Clemente Ingenito, Italian Navy Harrier pilot, former Blacksheep 17 (1990-1993)"

To get the model visit the SIM SKUNK WORKS (http://www.simskunkworks.102virtual.org) site at "Software workshop" top menů, need registration, which is free.

VISUAL MODEL CHARACTERISTICS
=====================
- Highly detailed external model, fully animated
- Highly detailed 3D internal model, fully animated
- Equipped with 3D lights system, both internal and external.
- High quality external/internal textures, bump, specular mapping and backing. Italian, Spanish an USA liveries provided
- Light weight, frame rate friend model
- Cames in two configurations: "SOLO" and "UBUNTU" optimized for multiplayer sessions.

FLYING CHARACTERISTICS
================
- SSW Harrier is a not conventional model, it can be considered both a wing-borne and a jet-borne aircraft model since it can take-off and land using wing-lift or using engine nozzle vectored thrust.
- To implement such not conventional characteristics was a challenge but we believe to have obtained a behaviour very close to real as witnessed by real pilots and real former Harrier pilots.
- Transition flight from jet-borne to wing borne and viceversa is surprisingly smooth, all typical vertical or short types of takeoff and landings can be performed with a very high degree of realism

WING-BORNE CHARACTERISTICS
====================
- Flight characteristics have been accurately reproduced, almost all flight conditions: conventional takeoff, climb, cruise, combat, descent and landing are very close to flight tests and performances tables.
- The model has, like in the real plane, the SAAHS (Stability Augmentations And Holding System) that greatly enhances manouverability and departure resistance.
- Flaps are handled by a computer controlled schedule, no flap lever is provided, like in the real airplane user can choose from 3 flap operation modes: CRUISE, AUTO an STO.
- The RR 408 engine combat trust and JPT control have been reproduced.

JET-BORNE CHARACTERISTICS
==================
- All aspects of Harrier vectored thrust flight has been reproduced with an high grade of realism:
* Water injection control, wet/dry RR 408 engine
* Ground effect
* Wind effect
* LIDS (Lift Improuvment Device System)
* Sideslip acceleration with RPS (Rudder pedal shaker) a system to warn the pilot of a sideslip condition
* Computed and displayed hover weight based on air temp, altitude and gross weight, therefore computed fuel quantity permissible on board
* Computed and displayed STO parameters, nozzle STO stop angle, STO nozzle rotation speed, ground roll, etc.
* To enhance the real feeling some random perturbations are injected on the three axes during the hover.
All of above systems assure an high degrre of realism and a great smoothness in the transiction from jet-borne to wing-borne flight and vice versa.

AVIONICS SYSTEMS
============
In developing avionics we have choosen an incremental approach, systems have been reproduced to the maximum extent possible, what is provided works as the real thing, next versions will see more and more systems.

* DDI (Digital Display Indicators)
Both rigt and left MFD has been implemented with following modes:

* EHSI DISPLAY
Slaved to TACAN and INS, shows TCN/INS informations, both in steering and tacan offset modes.
INS can store up to 25 different waypoints with WOF (waypoint overflight) capability.

* VRST DISPLAY
To aid the pilot in determining the operational capability of the aircraft it shows vertical takeoff, vertical landing, and range endurance calculations. These calculations are presented on the V/STOL REST display

* ENG DISPLAY
Displays engine status information

* HUD DISPLAY
Replicate HUD on DDI

* STRS DISPLAY
Displays Storage Management System permitting to select weapon drop/launch sequence

* RDR DISPLAY
Displays radar in GMT and AA (air to Air modes), Radar is capable of RBGN (real beam ground mapping), GMT (Ground Moving Target) and A/A (Air-to-air) modes. In A/A modes is capable of STT (Single Target Track), LOCK-ON, ATTACK modes.

* HEAD UP DISPLAY
HUD is a conformal, collimated head-up display with 3 operational modes: NAV, STO and AG.
In NAV mode shows navigation informations
in STO mode informations for a short/vertical take off
in AG use INS to show CCIP (continuosly computed impact point), bomb falling line and GUN shooting slant range.
Slaved to Air-toAir radar it shows visual clues of aerial target in LOCK-ON/ATTACK mode.
All above systems work as in the real plane.

AIR REFUELLING
==========
Model has a realistic air refuelling system, thanks to a third part gauge (Jivko Rusev) adapted to SSW Harrier, it works both on single and multiplayer.

WEAPON SYSTEM
============
- All aircraft stations can be loaded with tanks/weapon using a windowed pop-up configurator, laoding/dropping weapon affects aircraft weight and therefore dynamics.
- Provided weapons are MK82, MK83, BDU48B, AIM9L and 25 mm GAU-12/U five-barrel Gatling gun with 300 rounds.
- Weapon launch/drop is visible and effective both in single and multiplayer, bombs impacting on ground leave a permanent crater.
- In multiplayer weapon drop/launch is server-safe (no clogging).
- More weapons will be added on next versions.

MULTIPLAYER CONSIDERATIONS
====================
Model cames in two versions: SOLO" and "UBUNTU":
- The UBUNTU models are perfectly suitable for MULTIPLAYER, FPS drop is close 0 with no FSX server flooding, test have been made with up to 15 players with a negligible frame drop.
- The SOLO models are still suitable for MULTIPLAYER with some limitations as far multiplayer consinstency is concerned, however we do not suggest to use them with more than 4-6 players since the FPS drop may be too high for a low-end machine.

DOCUMENTATIONS
===========
- Model cames with all necessary checklist and docs specifically derived from the original:
SSW-av8bb-nfm-501.pdf 29 pages, NORMAL PROCEDURES
SSW-av8bb-nfm-503.pdf 16 pages, OPERATING LIMITATIONS
SSW-av8bb-nfm-504.pdf 21 pages, PERFORMANCES DATA
SSW-av8bb-nfm-505.pdf 29 PAGES, DIGITAL DISPLAY/HUD/ODU/UFC QUICK REFERENCE
SSW-av8bb-nfm-506.pdf 16 pages, JET-BORNE FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS
SSW-av8bb-nfm-601.pdf 16 pages, WEAPON SYSTEM POCKET CHECKLIST
harrierhints.pdf 14 pages, useful hints for an effective use of the model
ssw_av8b_cockpit_layout.jpg, cockpit layout

USER BENEFITS
=========
Making the minimum donation to have the model version 1.0.0 guarantees:
free upgrade to all 1.x.y versions
free download of:
A1-AV8BB-NFM-000, 750 pages real Aircraf Flight manual
A1-AV8BB-NFM-400, 264 pages real performances tables
A1-AV8BB-NFM-500, 230 pages real pocket check list
A1-AV8BB-NFM-700, 32 pages real functional test pocket checklist
A1-AV8BB-TACMAN, 800 pages real tactical manual on radar/weapon system
LIBG Grottaglie (Italy) Navy Station scenery, higly detailed with photoreal background
LERT Rota (Spain) Navy Station higly detailed with photoreal background
CVS 550 "Cavour" italian aircraft carrier model
CVS 551 "Garibaldi" italian aircraft carrier model (under development)
Free account to SSW support forum
SSW Harrier paintkit

skyhawka4m
June 16th, 2012, 11:00
sounds interesting...will wait on reviews since it appears no screenshots are available of the finished product...that I can see anyway.

Montie
June 16th, 2012, 11:14
No sure how your order system works, "Making the minimum donation" what is minimum in this case?

Cirrus N210MS
June 16th, 2012, 11:15
there is no Price on There website for the Aircraft ???:salute:

flewpastu
June 16th, 2012, 11:23
Well I just Donated 20.00 bucks minimum, nothing happened but I got an e-mail from the website with no download link or anything, so I think I just donated 20 bucks to Whomever ? Oh well I guess I was the fool to try it 1st.

Bill

peter12213
June 16th, 2012, 11:26
Guys I've donated, bought the Harrier for the E0.00 price. I have my password and everything but download is pending for the aircraft? I'll let you know what happens as and when!

Downloading now, can't wait!!

LUCE1
June 16th, 2012, 11:50
sounds interesting...will wait on reviews since it appears no screenshots are available of the finished product...that I can see anyway.
the SOH forum is plenty of pictures and video too.

LUCE1
June 16th, 2012, 11:51
No sure how your order system works, "Making the minimum donation" what is minimum in this case?
nothing is needed to try the products, just make a dummy order of 0.001 €.
All instructions came with download link
/SSW

LUCE1
June 16th, 2012, 11:52
Well I just Donated 20.00 bucks minimum, nothing happened but I got an e-mail from the website with no download link or anything, so I think I just donated 20 bucks to Whomever ? Oh well I guess I was the fool to try it 1st.

Bill
no donation is needed to dwonload and try the model.
If you have done the order, dwn links are on the way

LUCE1
June 16th, 2012, 11:54
there is no Price on There website for the Aircraft ???:salute:
the world is beautiful because it is various, pay more attention to the site.
/SSW

peter12213
June 16th, 2012, 12:46
Well I've got it and it looks really nice, but I've got a lot of reading to do!

Jon@FSXACO
June 16th, 2012, 12:55
Just downloaded it, like Peter there is a lot of reading to do, we have s squadron at USNVA.org that will utilize the SSW harrier, the poor virtual Marines have been anxiously waiting for it. Here is a pic, I loaded it in the same to make sure it loads.

Looks good, time to learn how to fly it. Thanks for the effort SSW.

Jon Bailey

cortomalteseit
June 16th, 2012, 12:59
Whoaaaa!!! Great stuff, buddies!!!

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/636/fsx2012061622505891.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/fsx2012061622505891.jpg/)

LUCE1
June 16th, 2012, 13:01
Just downloaded it, like Peter there is a lot of reading to do, we have s squadron at USNVA.org that will utilize the SSW harrier, the poor virtual Marines have been anxiously waiting for it. Here is a pic, I loaded it in the same to make sure it loads.

Jon Bailey
yep, we at SSW are very proud that USNVA have choosen our Harrier to found a Marines VMA.
WE will give the maximum support to these guys.
Keep up that good work ;)
/SSW

FSX68
June 16th, 2012, 13:12
After I registered and made/confirm the order I got email with no D/L link.

Edit: I finally got a link and am downloading it. Looks like it comes with a weapons pack as well.

DaveKDEN
June 16th, 2012, 14:11
Waiting for my registration e-mail activation link. How long did it take others to receive their link?

andrea6811
June 16th, 2012, 14:14

Jon Bailey

Hei Jon , we are waiting for you and you friend for the decimo champaign (Sardinia island ) .

Bye
Andrea aka luce19

Jon@FSXACO
June 16th, 2012, 14:33
Hey everyone

the whole ordering process took about 1.5 hours for me, from website sign up, to flying in FSX.

Andrea!! Hello friend, well we are starting out a small cadre of harrier pilots at usnva.org, and we can't wait to fly with you guys. I'll need a few days to get the hang of the harrier, but it does look very good, and a small test I did, the weapons worked great in both single and multiplayer. So Congrats SSW!

Jon Bailey

hammer353
June 16th, 2012, 14:37
I having trouble installing MSVC2010-RUNTIME-redist_x86. When try and run the file i keep on getting this message:

"Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements to install this software. The following blocking issues must be resolved before you can install Mircosoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 redistributable Setup software package.

Please resolve the following:

A newer version of mircosoft visual C ++2010 redistributable has been detected on the machine."

Is there any way to fix this issue?

I also seem to be having problems with my throttle not moving and none of the USMC solo paints loading.

Mike

newcomer
June 16th, 2012, 14:51
This Harrier is great - it took me just 15 minutes to purchase, to register and start my first flight.
Framerates are very good especially when considering the amount of all the eletronic devices running in the cockpit (hud, screens, lights, etc.)
A great effort - thanks to everybody involved in this project!

heavy
June 16th, 2012, 17:21
Well, I made two donations because I thought I did something wrong and still nothing. No email! Any suggestions?

H

ZsoltB
June 17th, 2012, 04:09
Would be good the start up procedure video!
Possible?

Thank you!

LUCE1
June 17th, 2012, 06:37
Well, I made two donations because I thought I did something wrong and still nothing. No email! Any suggestions?

H
Hi to all,
i want point out that:
NO DONATION IS REQUIRED TO DOWNLOAD AND TEST SSW MODEL
no blind purchase; download, install test and decide.
Donate before download is unuseful and may induce a false sense of being abandoned, it is not true.
To have download link visit the SOFTWARE WORSHOP (top menu) at SIM SKUNK WORKS site:
(need registration which is free)
http://www.simskunkworks.102virtual.org
complete the dummy order (at 0.001 €) and wait the download link.
Once downloaded visit thE HOW TO INSTALL/ACTIVATE MODELS (top menu) there are detailed instructions
that are shared for all SSW models.
User experiencing problems please contact us trough the site.
We have served hundreds of users without flaws.

LUCE1
June 17th, 2012, 06:49
I having trouble installing MSVC2010-RUNTIME-redist_x86. When try and run the file i keep on getting this message:

"Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements to install this software. The following blocking issues must be resolved before you can install Mircosoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 redistributable Setup software package.

Please resolve the following:

A newer version of mircosoft visual C ++2010 redistributable has been detected on the machine."

Is there any way to fix this issue?

I also seem to be having problems with my throttle not moving and none of the USMC solo paints loading.

Mike

This is an annoying M$ bug, your MSVC version that is newer should be back compatible without problem.
Sometimes does not happens.
Make this:
- check if into FSX main folder you have the: sswks."your_pc".AV8B-HARRIER.ssw registration file
- if the file exists means that our dll worked well
- otherwise try install MSVC10 with admin privileges
- last resort you have to uninstall the newer MSVC10 and install the previous version.

- Throttle does not move since is locked by throttle detent as procedures dictate until you remove it.
TO ALL CASUAL USERS:
IF YOU THINK THAT THE SSW HARRIER CAN BE OPERATED WITH A SIMPLE CTRL+E AND GO, FORGET IT, YOU WON'T BE ABLE EVEN TO TAXI.
IT REQUIRES SOME KNOWLEDGE TO BE USED, ALL NECESSARY CHECKLIST ARE PROVIDED IN DOCS FOLDER.

- About rendering, we have experienced some problems with ATI cards not correctly configured.
Refer to Catalyst procedures.

LUCE1
June 17th, 2012, 06:51
Would be good the start up procedure video!
Possible?

Thank you!
Do you think a video is needed to do:
- BATTERY ON
- APU ON
- GEN ON
- STARTER ON
?
cheers
/SSW

ZsoltB
June 17th, 2012, 07:48
Do you think a video is needed to do:
- BATTERY ON
- APU ON
- GEN ON
- STARTER ON
?
cheers
/SSW

Yes!
The parking brake can not be disabled!
After a while, the pause button is stuck!

Any idea?

newcomer
June 17th, 2012, 08:18
Yes!

Any idea?

The parking brake is "hidden" on the left hand side of the cockpit just behind (and a bit forward of) the throttle - you have to manually push it forward ....

LUCE1
June 17th, 2012, 08:32
Yes!

Any idea?
yes !!
- notwithstanding what i have written here above you are one of those users
"CTRL+E and go" that do not want read instructions and refuse any kind of procedures and check lists renouncing to a large part of the realism, avoid SSW products in this case.
cheers
/SSW

LUCE1
June 17th, 2012, 08:55
The parking brake is "hidden" on the left hand side of the cockpit just behind (and a bit forward of) the throttle - you have to manually push it forward ....
- or use a key accelerator assigned to "FLIGHT DIRECTOR TOGGLE" event in FSX (default "CTRL+F"), cfr. HarrierHints.pdf into SSW-AV8B-HARRIER-IIB\docs folder.
- during start-up parking brakes should be ON (Throttle detent), before moving remove detent otherwise throttle continue to bu stuck.
- and remember to engage NWS otherwise Hariier won't turn.
all above as per NATOPS-NFM-000
cheers
/SSW

AckAck
June 17th, 2012, 10:04
Waiting for my registration e-mail activation link. How long did it take others to receive their link?

Me to - been 4 hours or so. I tried re-registering, but it says the username and email has already been taken, so I'm assuming I'm somewhere in limbo, since it took it the first time.

DaveKDEN
June 17th, 2012, 10:41
Me to - been 4 hours or so. I tried re-registering, but it says the username and email has already been taken, so I'm assuming I'm somewhere in limbo, since it took it the first time.

Try going back and just logging in. I was able to do that this morning without ever receiving an activation link. Although, I haven't yet tried to d/l the Harrier.

LUCE1
June 17th, 2012, 11:07
A common problem with gmail and co. anti-spam filters that block account activation mail.
Look at spam folder or contact us via web site.
cheers
/SSW

andrea6811
June 17th, 2012, 12:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XdLyQPeUHk&feature=youtube_gdata

dougal
June 17th, 2012, 12:55
I've registered twice now, using two different addresses, but still not received an activation email. Happened before with the F104, so i've given up.

flewpastu
June 17th, 2012, 12:56
This Aircraft Fly's wonderful, once you read the manual she's pretty easy to fly and hover is pretty good too. Outstanding to the Skunkworks team. Thanks for the Fathers Day Gift. :salute:

Bill

LUCE1
June 17th, 2012, 15:24
I've registered twice now, using two different addresses, but still not received an activation email. Happened before with the F104, so i've given up.
try to contact via site, most of the times is a anti-spam problem.
/SSW

jessie r.
June 17th, 2012, 17:53
I dont mean to anoy anyone here but ive tried and followed the instructions given by LUCE1 and still no download link?

DaveKDEN
June 17th, 2012, 18:58
I dont mean to anoy anyone here but ive tried and followed the instructions given by LUCE1 and still no download link?

Pretty much given up on trying to d/l it. I'm sure it's a fine add-on, but I don't feel like wasting any more time.

LonelyplanetXO
June 17th, 2012, 20:25
I got the membership link but order confirmation doesn't have a download link and says "order pending"... been like that all day. Ah well...

LPXO

jessie r.
June 17th, 2012, 20:54
I got the membership link but order confirmation doesn't have a download link and says "order pending"... been like that all day. Ah well...

LPXO

Same here don't know whats up?

LUCE1
June 18th, 2012, 00:55
Pretty much given up on trying to d/l it. I'm sure it's a fine add-on, but I don't feel like wasting any more time.
Hey guys,
take in mind that download links are manually sent and take in account that there are Time Zone issue, we as Europeans have the bad habit to go to sleep sometime.
Generally down links are sent within minutes.
We have sent hundreds of downlaod links in two days without flaws, but often spam filters made the trick.
Users experiencing problems can contact with us via SSW site directly, we will solve the problem.
However take in mind that at SSW we consider our users as friends not customers, and you know, customers MUST be accepted, friends can be chosen, and we happily give up some friends/clients that we would bring nothing but trouble, best avoid.
cheers
SSW Bad Boys

VaporZ
June 18th, 2012, 01:17
Sim Skunk Works

Sorry guys but your ordering process is simply to complex and certainly not user friendly.
In fact it is a big counter marketing bug !

It seems to be quite frustrating and will discourage many to buy your excellent Harrier II Plus or F-104G Starfighter.

Can you please simply made your FSX models available to sale from a FlightSim eShop
like "SimMarket" or "FlightsimShop" ?

Your sales will then be far more interesting !
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

cortomalteseit
June 18th, 2012, 01:26
The procedure worked perfectly for me, in less than 1 hour i've received everything :salute:
Satisfied 100%

LUCE1
June 18th, 2012, 02:13
Sim Skunk Works

Sorry guys but your ordering process is simply to complex and certainly not user friendly.
In fact it is a big counter marketing bug !

It seems to be quite frustrating and will discourage many to buy your excellent Harrier II Plus or F-104G Starfighter.

Can you please simply made your FSX models available to sale from a FlightSim eShop
like "SimMarket" or "FlightsimShop" ?

Your sales will then be far more interesting !
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ
Hi Vapor,
I understand your reasons, but often what is different from our habits seems too complicated, in reality it is not and everything has its reasons, it seems complicated simply because we do not understand it and our laziness hinders us.
We dislike "blind purchase" as most common sim-markets and our donation-ware allows us to do differently.
- make a dummy order (0 price)
- get the link, download and install the model
- try it, taste it (it is time limited)
- if you like it donate and you will receive the key that remove the time limit, if not simply give up
I do not see anything complicated but that is not immediate and ask some time.

As far as the "marketing bug" may be you are right, however take in mind we are not in the business, business is not our task, we are a no-profit organisation we strongly prefere less users but more clever.
cheers
SSW very Bad Boys

VaporZ
June 18th, 2012, 03:49
Hi Vapor,

As far as the "marketing bug" may be you are right, however take in mind we are not in the business, business is not our task, we are a no-profit organisation we strongly prefere less users but more clever.
cheers SSW very Bad Boys

"we strongly prefere less users but more clever"

? ! ? ! ? ! ?

This confirm to me that your are part of this "secret society type" FSX devellopers who strongly think that the vast majority of Flightsimmers
have all a PHD Degree in Data Programming from the Massachusets Institute Of Technology.

Sorry but I will wait the Razbam offer for a Harrier II Plus for FSX.
:kilroy:
VaporZ

heavy
June 18th, 2012, 03:58
Well just finished my first flight. Took me some time to get off the ground. SSW doesn't play! You HAVE TO read the manual. Once I was up, it flew quite nicely. The FPS were very good. Definitly have to read more though. Good Job SSW!

H

LUCE1
June 18th, 2012, 04:26
Hi Vapor,

cheers SSW very Bad Boys

"we strongly prefere less users but more clever"

? ! ? ! ? ! ?

This confirm to me that your are part of this "secret society type" FSX devellopers who strongly think that the vast majority of Flightsimmers
have all a PHD Degree in Data Programming from the Massachusets Institute Of Technology.

Hi VaporZ,
your guess is wrong, we belong to those FSX developers societies and fortunately there enough around there, that want make good and realistic model having in mind different things than to sell some unrealistic toys just to make some money and then give the users themselves, like has happened quite frequently.
No, MIT Degree is not required, just having a couple of working neurons that can cooperate.

Sorry but I will wait the Razbam offer for a Harrier II Plus for FSX.
:kilroy:
VaporZ

Yes definetely avoid SSW products, Razbam does much better for you, you are sorry we are happy.
cheers
SSW very very Bad Boys

LUCE1
June 18th, 2012, 04:30
Well just finished my first flight. Took me some time to get off the ground. SSW doesn't play! You HAVE TO read the manual. Once I was up, it flew quite nicely. The FPS were very good. Definitly have to read more though. Good Job SSW!
H
Thanks a lot heavy,
you have summarized in an excellent way our thought into this stupid controversy.

LUCE1
June 18th, 2012, 09:46
this is the first impression of a real harrier Pilot that tried the Harrier pre-release version:

"Congratulation! This AVB-8B+ is realistic, the graphic and the details are showed with excellent care. Impressed ! Clemente Ingenito, Italian Navy Harrier pilot, former Blacksheep 17 (1990-1993)"

jeansy
June 18th, 2012, 09:49
sorry, im the process of trying to activate it

can i ask, really for something that you can get away with donating $0 for, even after my donation was sent back

why is there such a pain in the @ss to activate?

so far from what ive seen it looks very nice, but emailing files here and there, is really putting me off completing the activation

cortomalteseit
June 18th, 2012, 10:19
Let me show what this aircraft gives to me:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3526/fsx2012061819581182.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/fsx2012061819581182.jpg/)

merida72
June 18th, 2012, 11:18
Let me show what this aircraft gives to me:

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3526/fsx2012061819581182.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/fsx2012061819581182.jpg/)

Impressive!!!!

LUCE1
June 18th, 2012, 12:03
sorry, im the process of trying to activate it

can i ask, really for something that you can get away with donating $0 for, even after my donation was sent back

why is there such a pain in the @ss to activate?

so far from what ive seen it looks very nice, but emailing files here and there, is really putting me off completing the activation

In the front page of SSW site in the Harrier intro is written:

THE MODEL IS AVAILABLE AT SIM SKUNK WORKS SOFTWARE WORKSHOP (http://www.simskunkworks.102virtual.org/index.php?Itemid=114)
COMPLETING THE ORDER PROCESS YOU WILL GET LINKS FOR DOWNLOAD

- No word "DONATION" is mentioned here.
- To complete the order process are necessary 2 clicks ("Add Cart" and "Confirm order") nothing else.
- After a while (**) you receive via e-mail with download links and all instructions to install the Harrier
- You can freely try it, if you like it you can donate (to minimum) to receive the key that remove the time limit, otherwise give up
I can't see where is the pain in such process, a lot of users before you have done this way without .
** A while depends on Time Zone and can extend on some hours.

CP1207
June 18th, 2012, 12:47
I think the process took about an hour.
Seemed fairly clear, although was conducted under the influence of a couple of adult beverages, which may have smoothed the process. Sometimes overthinking things seems to cause me more trouble.
One successful crash so far, now off to read the manual.

AckAck
June 18th, 2012, 17:07
Perhaps I haven't had the requisite number of adult beverages.

Me too - been 4 hours or so. I tried re-registering, but it says the username and email has already been taken, so I'm assuming I'm somewhere in limbo, since it took it the first time.

Try going back and just logging in. I was able to do that this morning without ever receiving an activation link. Although, I haven't yet tried to d/l the Harrier.

A common problem with gmail and co. anti-spam filters that block account activation mail.
Look at spam folder or contact us via web site.
cheers
/SSW

we are a no-profit organization we strongly prefer less users but more clever.
cheers
SSW very Bad Boys

OK, another 24 hours has passed.

I went back to the site and tried re-registering. Blocked saying username was unavailable and the email address had already been used. (as expected)

I tried logging in. Blocked saying account was suspended or not activated. (as expected)

Verified all spam filters are deactivated on that email. I have it disabled to prevent situations like this, plus it's great fun reading the penile enlargement and dating site ads, although sadly I get so few of them.

Yesterday (27+ hours ago) tried contacting SSW through the website (contact@us) function and got a nice "thank you" screen, so I assume it went through. Have not heard anything.

Verified that I used the correct email address, and that my account can send and receive emails.

I tried waiting until at least someone in Italy had a chance to wake up, but still haven't heard anything. The last time I had this problem, the vendor's provider had Comcast on a list of undesirable providers, and filtered the emails out themselves, before they were ever sent. I've tried everything on my end I can do, including following the suggestions of the vendor (sorry, realize you aren't "selling" it, mostly) to no avail.

Is my next suggestion to use another email account (not through Comcast, and not GMail or other "free" email provider) to try again with another username, or should I just assume that I am not clever enough to be among the "preferred less users but more clever" people allowed to use this?

Thanks, and please excuse my frustration here - I can see you have some of your own.

Brian

DaveKDEN
June 18th, 2012, 17:26
I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful in my earlier post. I think it's pretty cool that SSW offers a trial (timed-out) version of the Harrier. Wish more payware developers did something like that, as I could have saved some cash over the years on add-ons that turned out to be a bust. However, the process to get it is obviously not working for many folks. I'm still waiting for my d/l link - 2 days later. If I never receive it, no big deal. But the overall process seems to be broken.

Jon@FSXACO
June 18th, 2012, 19:31
Thanks SSW for the great AV-8B

At http://www.usnva.org we did our first Multiplayer flight tonight. We officially stood up the VMA-542 http://www.virtual542.net/ and just wanted to share some pics and say thank you SSW.
677456774667747 Fuel low caution light came on because we spent to much time just enjoying the flight hahahaha

Jon Bailey

Naruto-kun
June 18th, 2012, 21:11
HUD looks far too dark though. No self illum/alpha channel/Background blend settings?

GB
June 18th, 2012, 23:48
The "Lawn Dart" is simply fantastic in both its model fidelity and eye pleasure (HUD included, just play with the day/night switch to suit your needs). It also comes packed with extras which are adding value to the overall experience, like other good developers provide (eg MILVIZ) and I hope this highly appreciated policy becomes the norm.

Don't forget that SSW provides a constant stream of updates that correct any identified problem. SSW forum is a nice place to provide our input and for our observations to get proper treatement or clarifications.

Also, from the announcing statement of its release, it is clear that any minor deviations will be quickly resolved

"This is an interim release, there are some minor details of the internal model that need attention, instead systems are complete, the model can be used without limitations; the high expectations of the model and the numerous user requests have persuaded us to publish it even if not 100% complete. A complete version release will follow in a few days."

Although anybody's opinion is subjective, my proposal is just to congratulate the design team not only for what we're enjoying, but also for being generous enough to provide high quality models at really constant rate, and with no profit for them, just for us.

LUCE1
June 18th, 2012, 23:51
Is my next suggestion to use another email account (not through Comcast, and not GMail or other "free" email provider) to try again with another username, or should I just assume that I am not clever enough to be among the "preferred less users but more clever" people allowed to use this?
Thanks, and please excuse my frustration here - I can see you have some of your own.
Brian
Not your case, Brian, i should be more precise with that sentence,adding: "preferred less users but more clever or polite"
We really dislike those users assuming that the mere fact they are "users" they become our bosses, demanding us even what they should know reading simple instructions and complaining what is their failure.
Us as you do this for passion and not money, for this reason as you claim well-made models we demand education and respect on your part.
Back to you, i can assure i have personally answered to each single mail i have received, so it means we cannot get in touch via e-mail for some unknown reason.
I will send you via PM download links to have Harrier, if you can answer me with user id you used to try to register to SSW site i will activate it manually.
regards.
/Mario

LUCE1
June 18th, 2012, 23:53
I didn't mean to come across as ungrateful in my earlier post. I think it's pretty cool that SSW offers a trial (timed-out) version of the Harrier. Wish more payware developers did something like that, as I could have saved some cash over the years on add-ons that turned out to be a bust. However, the process to get it is obviously not working for many folks. I'm still waiting for my d/l link - 2 days later. If I never receive it, no big deal. But the overall process seems to be broken.
sent via PM
cheers
/SSW

jeansy
June 19th, 2012, 00:07
In the front page of SSW site in the Harrier intro is written:

THE MODEL IS AVAILABLE AT SIM SKUNK WORKS SOFTWARE WORKSHOP (http://www.simskunkworks.102virtual.org/index.php?Itemid=114)
COMPLETING THE ORDER PROCESS YOU WILL GET LINKS FOR DOWNLOAD

- No word "DONATION" is mentioned here.
- To complete the order process are necessary 2 clicks ("Add Cart" and "Confirm order") nothing else.
- After a while (**) you receive via e-mail with download links and all instructions to install the Harrier
- You can freely try it, if you like it you can donate (to minimum) to receive the key that remove the time limit, otherwise give up
I can't see where is the pain in such process, a lot of users before you have done this way without .
** A while depends on Time Zone and can extend on some hours.

thank you but no thank you

uninstalling it is easier than installing it

im going to wait on razbam, its quick it easy its works straight after install, no emails no waiting on keys

LUCE1
June 19th, 2012, 00:15
thank you but no thank you

uninstalling it is easier than installing it

im going to wait on razbam, its quick it easy its works straight after install, no emails no waiting on keys
completely agreed, Razbam Harrier will surely fit better for you.
indeed we recommend to everyone like you do not try to download the SSW Harrier, their happy and us happy.
cheers
/mario

cortomalteseit
June 19th, 2012, 00:44
Don't wanna defend or accuse anybody, but it's a pity that a lot of people think that installing this aircraft it's more difficult than applying thousand of tweaks for FSX, REX, GEX, UTEX, ASE, video cards, joysticks, track-ir and so on.
I suggest you to spend 5 minute, in calm conditions, to follow the steps indicated for the installation/activation, and enjoy then one of the best aircraft ever made for FSX.
My 2 cents, regards
:icon29:

heavy
June 19th, 2012, 01:59
My 2 cents and no attacks on anyone....I love this community. I love aviation. The time, skill, effort and smarts it takes to make aircraft for FSX, I do not have. I remember in 2002-2003 wishing all the aircraft available to FS9 and FSX was available then. Now, there is a gang of aircraft I love and enjoy. Accurate or not. So much that sometimes I can't decide what to fly. I have the same a/c from two different developers in some cases just because I LOVE THIS STUFF. It's amazing to me. Please everyone, let's be thankful and exercise some patience and understanding. This isnt America's NEXT TOP MODEL! It's FSX...enjoy!

Back to topic....I STILL have alot of reading to do. And I'm having fun with this jet. I look forward to more updates of this and I will also purchase the RAZBAM Harrier!

I love this stuff!

Thank you SSW...you made my week!

H

LUCE1
June 19th, 2012, 02:47
My 2 cents and no attacks on anyone....I love this community. I love aviation. The time, skill, effort and smarts it takes to make aircraft for FSX, I do not have. I remember in 2002-2003 wishing all the aircraft available to FS9 and FSX was available then. Now, there is a gang of aircraft I love and enjoy. Accurate or not. So much that sometimes I can't decide what to fly. I have the same a/c from two different developers in some cases just because I LOVE THIS STUFF. It's amazing to me. Please everyone, let's be thankful and exercise some patience and understanding. This isnt America's NEXT TOP MODEL! It's FSX...enjoy!

Back to topic....I STILL have alot of reading to do. And I'm having fun with this jet. I look forward to more updates of this and I will also purchase the RAZBAM Harrier!

I love this stuff!

Thank you SSW...you made my week!

H
again you anticipate my tought Heavy, thanks.
There are plenty of good models out of there, i personally hope that Razbam hurry to finish the Harrier and I hope it's done very well, Razbam is a guarantee for this, all will be good for users.
If we look at the satisfaction of this community having two Harrier's instead one is a very good thing.
I believe that Razbam, like us, makes model for passion rather than business, a good motivation always produces good results.
I think that this community is a great thing, not worth ruining it for the few, fortunately few, who can not find better to do than complain about everything and everyone.
cheers
/Mario

AckAck
June 19th, 2012, 04:27
Back to you, i can assure i have personally answered to each single mail i have received, so it means we cannot get in touch via e-mail for some unknown reason.
I will send you via PM download links to have Harrier, if you can answer me with user id you used to try to register to SSW site i will activate it manually.
regards.
/Mario

I received your PM, and thanks for trying to work through this in what must be a busy and frustrating time, with so many (some, anyway) having issues with getting it. I have downloaded the files, and tried to get to the instruction page you linked to, but of course you have to be logged in to view it.

So this morning, after downloading, I went ahead and registered again using a different user name, email address and provider, and the account activation link came right through. For some reason, you are not able to contact me (and I am not able to contact you) through Comcast, and I may not be the only one. I don't know where the problem lies, but if you haven't received emails from me either directly or through the contact portal on the site, then there is a problem somewhere.

Anyway, I am now a registered user on your site, and the other registration will either remain in limbo or be cancelled after the account is not activate within a certain amount of time. There is no reason to manually activate it, since it was worked around.

Now that I have the files, I don't have time to install them until tonight, so will look into all of that then.

With the new email address and now-activated account, I'm sure it will go more smoothly, and thank you for your patience and extra efforts.

Now, off to work so I can pay for it.

Brian

LUCE1
June 19th, 2012, 06:22
I received your PM, and thanks for trying to work through this in what must be a busy and frustrating time, with so many (some, anyway) having issues with getting it. I have downloaded the files, and tried to get to the instruction page you linked to, but of course you have to be logged in to view it.

So this morning, after downloading, I went ahead and registered again using a different user name, email address and provider, and the account activation link came right through. For some reason, you are not able to contact me (and I am not able to contact you) through Comcast, and I may not be the only one. I don't know where the problem lies, but if you haven't received emails from me either directly or through the contact portal on the site, then there is a problem somewhere.

Anyway, I am now a registered user on your site, and the other registration will either remain in limbo or be cancelled after the account is not activate within a certain amount of time. There is no reason to manually activate it, since it was worked around.

Now that I have the files, I don't have time to install them until tonight, so will look into all of that then.

With the new email address and now-activated account, I'm sure it will go more smoothly, and thank you for your patience and extra efforts.

Now, off to work so I can pay for it.

Brian
no problem, it is a pleasure to deal with educated people who respect our work, with these men the utmost patience and willingness, much less with those who treat us with the arrogance of those who claim to know everything and always think others guilty of everything, including their own mistakes or oversights.
Whether you decide or not to donate for Harrier you can count on the best support we can.

As far Comcast provider is concerned may be it has our server/domain in his blacklist, sometime happens. In truth we were attacked by hacker two year ago and our server was blacklisted since was the source of thousands spams per minute, may be Comcast blacklist never was updated in our side.
I never received a single mail from you trough Comcast.

so far so good.
cheers
/Mario

DaveKDEN
June 19th, 2012, 06:42
sent via PM
cheers
/SSW

Thanks for the PM link Luce1! Looking forward to checking the Harrier out.

UKMIL
June 19th, 2012, 07:06
well, I tried to register yesterday, and got my activation link immediatly. I then tried the 0.001E donation, and it seemed to go through. But 24 hours later, no download link has ever appeared. If I go back onto the site, and try to donate again, I get some paypal page, written in what looks like spanish, which I assume is telling me I cannot donate again, or at least that's what it looks like.

So, I have no link, no aircraft, and cannot re-donate! What a great system this is:isadizzy:

Pluto12
June 19th, 2012, 07:25
well, I tried to register yesterday, and got my activation link immediatly. I then tried the 0.001E donation, and it seemed to go through. But 24 hours later, no download link has ever appeared. If I go back onto the site, and try to donate again, I get some paypal page, written in what looks like spanish, which I assume is telling me I cannot donate again, or at least that's what it looks like.

So, I have no link, no aircraft, and cannot re-donate! What a great system this is:isadizzy:

Hi,
to receive download link, just make an order process with 0,00 donation.....just checkout, and confirm...you will receive a mail that confirm your order, and after few minutes the download links.....
The minimum donation is required to activate the product as reported in the activation/installation page.....
Emanuele

stovall
June 19th, 2012, 07:49
This thread is being closed because of the numerous negative comments by the representative of SSW. SOH members can view the SSW Harrier on their website if interested.