PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock Holmes; A Game of Shadows

Lionheart
June 15th, 2012, 07:48
I got to see this last night on DVD. Awesome movie and many many times, it had me in stitches.

A hilarious phrase they use a few times in it, I guess an old British phrase; 'Crack on!'

Bill

luckydog
June 15th, 2012, 11:19
Hey Bill !!

I watched it last night as well !! I enjoyed Miss Noomi's performance in Prometheus
and wanted to see how she did with Sherlock......... Good Stuff !!!!

LD

bushpilot
June 15th, 2012, 11:39
It was surprisingly fun, and better than the first Sherlock Holmes flick. Can't go wrong with Downey Jr, that man's a genius of dry wit and sarcasm. And Jared Harris did fine job as Moriarty.

Daveroo
June 15th, 2012, 14:05
It was surprisingly fun, and better than the first Sherlock Holmes flick. Can't go wrong with Downey Jr, that man's a genius of dry wit and sarcasm. And Jared Harris did fine job as Moriarty.

whut??? moriarty went over the falls...i saw him in the great Basil rathbon version.....i sarw it i did!!

Daveroo
June 17th, 2012, 18:39
odd,,i watched this new version the Bill posted about last night,personally..i do like the old black and white "nior" versions.......which OT here,,i saw on a box the otherday the word nior,for black...i thought,"film nior",was murder,mystery,suspence,but seems its just a words for black n white films.,..

but i like the old basil rathbone movies the best,this one starts violent and is violent throughout,where the rathbone movies seem to be more about thinking and deducing rather than fighting.....just my thoughts...

bushpilot
June 18th, 2012, 04:30
but seems its just a words for black n white films

It's not. Film Noir can be color movie, it's just a general description for stylish, cynical and dark themed crime movies.

Best film/series of Sherlock Holmes to date is the 80's British series http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086661/

Jeremy Brett as Holmes is awesome.

Dain Arns
June 18th, 2012, 05:17
I really like the new, modern version "Sherlock" from the BBC, that has been running on PBS lately here in the states.
There is a very good reason it rates a 9.1 out of 10 on IMDb.
It's very smart, well written, cast, and produced, and just fun to watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/

Eoraptor1
June 19th, 2012, 09:15
I really like the new, modern version "Sherlock" from the BBC, that has been running on PBS lately here in the states.
There is a very good reason it rates a 9.1 out of 10 on IMDb.
It's very smart, well written, cast, and produced, and just fun to watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/

I'm a fan of Sherlock as well. There was a free download on iTunes last week, but I don't know if it's still there. There's going to be an Americanized version called Elementary. Lucy Liu is going to play Dr. Watson. I'll reserve judgment until I see it.

I haven't seen Game of Shadows yet, but it's available on my On-Demand menu. I'll probably watch it this week based on the recommendations here.

JAMES

Dain Arns
June 19th, 2012, 11:41
Benedict Cumberbatch is great as Holmes, on 'Sherlock'. I think he really nailed the mannerisms and voice.
He has the 'look' too. I guess he was the only actor they considered for the role.

Martin Freeman is wonderful as Watson. Always been a great actor.
Can't wait to see him at Christmas time as Bilbo in 'The Hobbit'.
Cumberbatch will be great as the voice of Smaug, no doubt.

And back on track, loved 'A Game of Shadows' as well.
Each version of the various Sherlock Holmes mentioned in this thread fills a certain niche, I guess. :icon_lol:

Eoraptor1
June 19th, 2012, 19:56
Benedict Cumberbatch is great as Holmes, on 'Sherlock'. I think he really nailed the mannerisms and voice.
He has the 'look' too. I guess he was the only actor they considered for the role.

Martin Freeman is wonderful as Watson. Always been a great actor.
Can't wait to see him at Christmas time as Bilbo in 'The Hobbit'.
Cumberbatch will be great as the voice of Smaug, no doubt.

And back on track, loved 'A Game of Shadows' as well.
Each version of the various Sherlock Holmes mentioned in this thread fills a certain niche, I guess. :icon_lol:

Are we going to see Smaug in the first part of The Hobbit? I'm dying to see what he looks like. I remember being very impressed by Verithmax Pejorative in Dragonslayer. I'm hearing gossip that Benedict Cumberbatch will be Khan in the next Star Trek movie. I'm not sure I buy him as a Sikh. We have a lot of them in Niagara Falls now; they're light brown. Even Ricardo Montalbahn was pushing credibility.

JAMES