PDA

View Full Version : Aerosoft / North American Rockwell OV-10B Bronco for FSX

racartron
June 15th, 2012, 03:37
PCAviator is at it again:cost1: 42% off this sucker for the next week. Wait until Tuesday(if ya can control yourself) and get another 10% off:cowboy:

http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=19395

greenie
June 15th, 2012, 04:00
THANKS!! ..this came out just when I had decided to pull the purse strings a bit tighter . Spending was adding up a bit . But at this price I am going for it and am about to find out what it is I have been missing :)

....and not waiting for tuesday !:mixedsmi:

racartron
June 15th, 2012, 05:09
After watching a few video reviews, I couldn't wait either:icon_lol:

BTW, this is the latest version as well: ver 1.11

There are several add-on liveries out there as well at Avsim plus one over at OZx

Ferry_vO
June 15th, 2012, 05:33
Aerosoft have 42 repaints on their website: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/files/category/39-ov-10-bronco-x/

:)

racartron
June 15th, 2012, 06:03
Ouch:isadizzy: Looks like I'm gonna be a busy beaver for awhile.

dvj
June 15th, 2012, 10:49
Great model. Good price. Wait for 10 off Tuesday, an even better deal.

Sieggie
June 15th, 2012, 11:03
According to their forum, they are about to release another patch that will make the plane fully multi-player compatible. This has been in the works for some time now, so if you are into online flying now is the time to get it while it's cheap.

Dave

ottor
June 16th, 2012, 16:59
Got it, but I wish I hadn't. The sound is something I just can't live with. Any banking or rocking of the wings and I hear horrible phasing between the left/right engine sounds which make me feel sick when I hear it. I aliased the sound to the DA Cheyenne which doesn't have the problem, but all the OV-10 startup/shutdown sounds are handled by the aerosoft custom sound module, so they still occur. I also can't get any autopilot key commands to work. Oh well, at least I only blew $20. :frown:

roger-wilco-66
June 18th, 2012, 03:39
Ottor, you might want to consider to report this issue to the Aerosoft support and try to get it fixed before coming to the conclusion that you blew 20$.
I also have this model and can't observe the phenomena you described.
I think this is an awesome aircraft.

Cheers,
Mark

Thoe6969
June 18th, 2012, 04:23
Mine does not have that issue with the sound either,must be on your end.

dvj
June 18th, 2012, 04:25
I hear the phasing that is described, but not as annoying that one might think. Definately worth a shout out to the ASA team, or read the forums if it has already been reported.

P38man
June 19th, 2012, 00:05
Turn up the sound to hear the phasing - whether that kills the immersion for you is a matter of choice.

Try at 3:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgjcvDRRzI

P38man
June 19th, 2012, 03:06
Well I bought it and for me it is the cruising phasing sound I truly do not like.

Each to their own.

Ottor....you say you worked out how to alias the sound it seems for cruising (not startup/shutdown) ?

Could you or someone please help me how to do that.

Because of the sound module stuff I am confused cause usually I just do a single line but that is obviously not going to work here.

griphos
June 19th, 2012, 06:13
I guess I'm auditorially challenged, as I do not hear what you are talking about, unless you just mean the sound cones that change the sound of the engines as you move around them, which is a premium feature of some addons. Do you hear this "phasing" when simply seated in the cockpit flying the plane?

StormILM
June 19th, 2012, 15:22
The phasing sound for a multi-turboprop like the OV-10 is quite normal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-Rqfu6IIA&feature=plcp

I spent a lot of time around Marine Bronco's when I was young and even on the ground the Garrett engines are annoying and loud. One thing I would suggest is not aliasing the PT6 sounds in the OV-10 as they do not sound proper for the Bronco. If you want a more accurate Garrett sound, try Aaron Swindle's OV-10 sound pack and place it in the OV-10 folder replacing the original. I use it and enjoy it. The AS Bronco is the best FS model of the type yet and I am for the most part super happy with it but if there was one thing I would change it would be the engine sounds. Perhaps TSS might consider an aftermarket version?

P38man
June 19th, 2012, 15:50
Hey StormIML,

Thanks for the great info!

I can see what you mean about the actual Bronco with some phasing but the sound in FSX is, to me, significantly different and annoying so I agree if TSS or Sonic Solutions did a soundpack it would be great.

I cannot find the pack after googling though unless it is fs2002 ?

Also I don't want to replace all the other sounds so don't know how to do it.

Could you please tell me how you did it ?

StormILM
June 19th, 2012, 16:27
Hi, the file I am referring to is ov10snz.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?108-Copyright&fid=50920) at flightsim.com. It is a shareware for $10.00. I know some have reported a problem getting the flight1 purchase package to work but were able to get it sorted out directly with Aaron through email. As far as keeping some of the Bronco sounds, the panel cfg file and asc.cfg in the panel folder are tied into a separate sound folder in the main Bronco sound file named ASC_Bronco. I simply moved/copied that folder over to the replacement sound folder by Aaron Swindle. All works fine. However, if you're wanting to keep some of the original Bronco engine sounds and mix them with the new ones, that is a process that involves replacing the originals by either renaming the replacement files to the same as those being replaced or reworking things using a sound editor program. But I followed the simpler method of using Aaron's sound files exclusively for the main engine sounds with Aerosofts's auxiliary sounds for the cockpit & systems(ASC_Bronco subfolder). It sounds very good to my ears and the cockpit sounds are very similar to what you hear on the video I posted.

P38man
June 19th, 2012, 17:04
OK I see.

Not feeling like doing the 2002 non-sound cone version for $10. Thanks a lot for helping though.

Seems like 2 issues:
1) phasing
2) The other issue is the engines are default sounding ones so even if you fix the phasing it still would not be good to me

1) Phasing

Now that I think about it the solution seems damn simple so I am wondering why Aerosoft didn't bother to do it.

As the sound for each engine is exactly the same then running the same sound twice (or having 2 identical copies I haven't looked yet) is what must be causing the phasing sound.

This could simply be fixed I am 100% sure by loading up Audacity freeware software the sound files and inverting a second set of sound files.

That would take all of 5 minutes to fix the phasing. Would sound the same just without phasing.

http://forum.audacityteam.org/download/file.php?id=1431&sid=e648d06adb3b62fbf019e88ec1479794

2) Not wanting default engine sounds

So if I choose an aircraft with a great single engine sound and use audio software to invert the sound on the second copy and simply rename these to the same ones aresoft has it should fix it.

Conclusion
1) fixing phasing - piece of cake and really should have been done already considering the time it would take to do. Just an opinion.
2) default changing - more difficult due to power differences so sound will not be similar relative volume for example at various throttle settings - might skip this for the moment.

papab
June 20th, 2012, 02:56
Bought it
Flew it
Love it!
Rick

Roger
June 20th, 2012, 04:11
What Rick said :applause:

Odie
June 20th, 2012, 08:13
Yep, I hopped on that train as well yesterday! Great plane for a bargain price!

StormILM
June 20th, 2012, 13:22
I briefly talked to Christoffer Petersen by email about the prospects for a TSS OV-10 sound pack and he stated that he would take it under consideration.

I want to emphasize to the Aerosoft Team that in no way are my assertions about the original OV-10 sound pack meant to undermine or detract from the overall quality of your great work. I have probably logged close to 100+ hours in the model since I bought it in February which is a high indicator of my satisfaction. The sound is one area I feel strongly that could be upgraded on this model that would make it clearly one of the best all time FS models to ever be made. The sound of the OV-10 is perhaps the most unique turboprop to have flown. Having grown up not far from MCAS New River, the Bronco was a constant sight & sound overhead for over 20 years plus my experience at an FBO that was the Military/Govt Aircraft Service provider(by contract) and I personally handled numerous OV-10's.

This video is a great demo of the OV-10's sound. The steady upper midrange pitch/droning of the prop approaching, passing, and maneuvering is marked by a not so faint sound of the jet exhaust ports as the Bronco passes by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=-usdPUofSkY

Obie311
June 24th, 2012, 16:26
I know we have some former and possibly current military pilots/aviators on this forum so maybe they can help me.

Not having a Dash One for the Bronco I was wondering about proper take-off procedure.

With the condition lever full forward and using 1/2 flaps and Vr of 100Kias, I have a hard time getting out of short runway without triggering the yellow torque lights. I bring the power back as soon as I have a little altitude, decent airspeed of about 120Kias, positive rate, wheels up, and flaps up. I then bring the condition levers back to normal flight.

Is this acceptable or does the short spurt of "yellow" torque damage the engines?

The other thing that I mentioned earlier: Any info or links on understanding the ILS Gauge and the Gyro compass with VOR/TACAN & ADF needle would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Obie311