PDA

View Full Version : Take head rw pilots!

fsxar177
June 14th, 2012, 07:13
Good-day,
Spend yesterday recovering the remains of an aircraft that had wrecked last week, not far from where I live. It was a fatal, and it appears primarily pilot error. The weather was bad, and by all signs, the 7500+ ridge top took him by surprise. Just a reminder to know where you are... And don't fly into weather, when the country is not familiar!

Best regards,
Joseph

rdaniell
June 14th, 2012, 07:52
Good-day,
Spend yesterday recovering the remains of an aircraft that had wrecked last week, not far from where I live. It was a fatal, and it appears primarily pilot error. The weather was bad, and by all signs, the 7500+ ridge top took him by surprise. Just a reminder to know where you are... And don't fly into weather, when the country is not familiar! Best regards, Joseph

Joseph, that is an all too familar story. Pilots flying into weather and losing control or flying into terrain. It's just my two cents worth but, one of the culprits seems to be GPS systems. By that I mean it is becoming very common for pilots to skip altogether or shorten considerably their flight planning.

There is just no substitute for flight planning and then flying heading, time, and distance....In other words just what you underlinned in your post: Know where you are.

Then there is also the old "gotta get there ititus" syndrome.

Do you know if the pilot was even instrument rated?

RD

fsxar177
June 14th, 2012, 11:39
RD,
Yes, you are correct. I see that it's critical when around mountains also.
I don't know if he was rated, hope so.

Word is he was using a GPS app on IPAD...that's scary.

Joseph

cheezyflier
June 14th, 2012, 11:44
RD,

I don't know if he was rated, hope so.

Joseph

doesn't matter a lick by now whether he was or he wasn't. sure it's sad that someone died and all, but if he's navigating by ipad, he's a candidate for the darwin awards, and his kind of death was just a matter of time. the silver lining in all of this is if he didn't take anyone else with him.