PDA

View Full Version : Good freeware warbirds?

Alexraptor
December 28th, 2008, 15:37
Seems that after getting REX and saving up for a saitek yoke set next month i kind of don't have the budget for more payware at the moment.
So i was wondering if anyone could point me to any real good freeware warbirds?
And i mean real good like payware quality or near payware quality. :icon_lol:

jimjones
December 28th, 2008, 15:43
Sectionf8 sabrejet. Really a portover, but it is exceptional. Try avsim or flightsim.com

Panther_99FS
December 28th, 2008, 16:06
Anything by Tim "Piglet" Conrad :mixedsmi:

lucas81
December 28th, 2008, 16:24
Those are "low and slow" warbirds: ;)
Lublin R.XIII (recon and float)
RWD-8 (basic trainer)
RWD-14 (recon)

look for "Michal Puto" and "Lukasz Kubacki" on Avsim

bkeske
December 28th, 2008, 16:27
Sectionf8 sabrejet. Really a portover, but it is exceptional. Try avsim or flightsim.com

Agreed, beautiful job. Have not had a chance to fly it much.....yet......

jankees
December 28th, 2008, 22:20
the Beaufighter!!

Alexraptor
December 29th, 2008, 01:39
How are they all with sound sets? i never keep a plane that does not have its own proper sound set. :icon_lol:

Nick C
December 29th, 2008, 01:45
That's the beauty with free aircraft Alex, you can download them, install and then remove them if they are not what you are looking for.

jankees
December 29th, 2008, 02:54
How are they all with sound sets? i never keep a plane that does not have its own proper sound set. :icon_lol:

the Beaufighter has a great soundset

lucas81
December 29th, 2008, 03:03
Well, some planes did not survive, so how can you get the "proper" sound set for them? You have to alias the closest ones.
For those three I mentioned you can go this way:
- Fs2004 Spirit of St Louis sounds for the Lublin R.XIII (the same engine)
- FS2004/X DH Chipmunk by Rick Piper sounds for the RWD-8 (she had very similar engine, or if you have JF/AH Tiger Moth, install those ones)
- The RWD-14 has sounds from the default Beaver, but her engine was very similar.

Alexraptor
December 29th, 2008, 04:08
Tried the Beufighter, wasn't happy with it.
Didn't bother with the sabrejet since its an FS9 port and i have Acceleration.

As for planes not surviving, thats their problem, i simply just dont use aircraft without their proper sound sets :icon_lol:

Panther_99FS
December 29th, 2008, 04:32
, i simply just dont use aircraft without their proper sound sets :icon_lol:

That's ashame then because you're missing out on a LOT of fun with some really nice aircraft.

As others have stated, there's enough freeware sounds out there to make sound a non-issue...

jimjones
December 29th, 2008, 04:42

As for planes not surviving, thats their problem, i simply just dont use aircraft without their proper sound sets :icon_lol:

The sabre works in Acceleration, but DX10 must be turned off. Your missing a super plane, externally and has a great VC. Perhaps in time you will change your mind. Hmmm, if you did not like the Beaufighter you have a high standard. Nothing wrong with that.

jankees
December 29th, 2008, 06:29
Indeed, if you don't like the Beaufighter, you're going to have a hard time finding suitable freeware, especially if you ignore the Sabre.

Daube
December 29th, 2008, 06:32

You do not use a plane just because it's a port-over ? Or because you use DX10 ?
I can understand if you use DX10, but if not, you're really missing the best addons out there.

Well, you are looking for paywares, not freewares.
There are tons of excellent warbirds, both FS9 and FSX, that populate my FSX hangar, and I really don't care if their sounds are not 100% accurate, especially given the poor rendering of the sound in a simulation.

Daube
December 29th, 2008, 06:33
Indeed, if you don't like the Beaufighter, you're going to have a hard time finding suitable freeware, especially if you ignore the Sabre.
Or the Mustang from Warwick Carter that seems to appear on your avatar (or is it another one ?)

jankees
December 29th, 2008, 07:34
Or the Mustang from Warwick Carter that seems to appear on your avatar (or is it another one ?)

nope, the A2A one.

Fortiesboy
December 29th, 2008, 07:55
Anything by Tim "Piglet" Conrad :mixedsmi:

I second that. I have got his F1 - Japanese version of European Jaguar.
Never seen anything better.

Alexraptor
December 29th, 2008, 08:16
With FS9 i found tons of freeware ultra high quality warbirds, unfortunatley it does not seem to be as large a selection for FSX.

The reason for my turning down the sabrejet is that virtually every pre-SP2 aircraft i have tried for both FS9 and FSX have not worked, i end up getting a white screen instead of a cockpit.

The Beaufighter is a nice plane, allthough i am a bit cursed with an eye for detail which seems to run on the family on my mothers side, in this particular case the streached textures on some of the surfaces proved to be too much of a distraction. :icon_lol:

Nick C
December 29th, 2008, 08:18
If you are looking for such perfection, you are more or less limiting yourself to payware.

Alexraptor
December 29th, 2008, 08:45
I don't class all aircraft the same i judge them on a case by case basis.

DaveWG
December 29th, 2008, 09:18
There's always Gmax and a copy of the SDK...

heywooood
December 29th, 2008, 09:25
if I didn't know better I'd say that you are well aware that FSX to date still lags far behind FS9 or 2004 or whatever in aircraft developement - or more accurately - warbird developemnet using the FSX SDK...

thats because it is alot harder to build with than the old FS9 tools - it is a lot more detailed and involved - thats why its worth waiting for a good model and why fewer modelers are making planes for FSX apparently.

Probably another reason why FS9 is still going strong - many of the 3d freeware developers are not making the transition - and there is an argument there from their point of view that they don't necessarily want to take the time to relearn their craft with FSX SDK and then take twice as long making a plane just to give it away or recoup far less for it if they do decide to charge something.

But IF FSX is around for awhile (like FS9) and IF FSII allows FSX planes to be ported well enough (better than FS9 planes go into FSX) into it when it does come along - then there will be more and more builders and planes coming along.

But for now - we wait and fly what we can - or keep FS9 for your warbird jones and fly FSX when you want to

jimjones
December 29th, 2008, 09:27
I don't class all aircraft the same i judge them on a case by case basis.

Then you should try the sabre jet and judge it on a case by case basis and not be prejudiced. Really your missing an outstanding A/C. What does it take to convince?:mixedsmi:

heywooood
December 29th, 2008, 09:30
yes I second that - the Sabre is of exremely high quality and works well in FSX

Alexraptor
December 29th, 2008, 09:43
allright ill give it a try, but the last FS9 aircraft i loaded in looked like swiss cheese :P

Alexraptor
December 29th, 2008, 10:07
Ok now i wish i had never tried it...
Shes a beuty allright, beutiful VC, great textures and sound(which is why i wish i never tried her)..... but because she is FS9 native she cuts my performance in half so i'm down to 14fps or lower most of the time. :banghead:

lucas81
December 29th, 2008, 10:16
Check this list of freeware, fsx native birds, download each one and test it by yourself.
http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008/08/31/available-freeware-aircraft-add-ons-and-fsx.aspx

Maybe it will help you...or you can always wait until you will be able to buy another payware bird ;)

Alexraptor
December 29th, 2008, 10:44
I am trying to decide if i want to get the F6F hellcat at the end of next month or if i want to get the saitek yoke. Can't quite make up my mind :icon_lol:

But thanks, ill have a look over that list :)

Alexraptor
December 29th, 2008, 11:22
Did find one plane on that list that definatley met my seal of approval, the westland wyvern, very nice plane, a few low res VC textures here and there but otherwise superb. :jump:

TeaSea
December 29th, 2008, 15:41
Still need to get that Beufighter....it really is a beauty.

jimjones
December 30th, 2008, 03:09
Ok now i wish i had never tried it...
Shes a beuty allright, beutiful VC, great textures and sound(which is why i wish i never tried her)..... but because she is FS9 native she cuts my performance in half so i'm down to 14fps or lower most of the time. :banghead:

Sorry for the fps hit. But they have promised an FSX version that may be faster.

Daube
December 30th, 2008, 03:14
The FPS hit is quite reduced by the FSX update of the Sabre.

wombat666
December 30th, 2008, 03:23
With FS9 i found tons of freeware ultra high quality warbirds, unfortunatley it does not seem to be as large a selection for FSX.
i am a bit cursed with an eye for detail which seems to run on the family on my mothers side, in this particular case the streached textures on some of the surfaces proved to be too much of a distraction. :icon_lol:

Save up your $$$ for payware, but even then you won't get 'perfection'.
:173go1:

Alexraptor
December 30th, 2008, 03:46
The FPS hit is quite reduced by the FSX update of the Sabre.

Haven't been able to find the FSX update.

Save up your $$$ for payware, but even then you won't get 'perfection'.
:173go1:
As i did say in my original post i am saving up $$$ for payware, and i also never specificly asked for "perfection" :p

Nick C
December 30th, 2008, 04:00
Haven't been able to find the FSX update.

After reading the posts above, I'm downloading the Sabre from Avsim. A quick search for "Sectionf8", as mentioned on page 1 of this thread, finds all the downloads.

Daube
December 30th, 2008, 05:06
the one and only result returned by avsim when you type "sabre fsx update":
http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fsxacrp&DLID=130199
WARNING: the installation steps have to be read carefully.

Bjoern
January 1st, 2009, 12:22
As long as you read the Readme, upgrading the F-86 should be a piece of cake.

The installation procedure for the Sabre is Sabre -> SP1 -> Upgrade, by the way.

empeck
January 1st, 2009, 14:48
For freeware developer (like me :kilroy:) a decent soundset is the hardest thing to do. That's why many of freeware planes have sound aliased to default planes.

Piglet
January 1st, 2009, 15:05
There's always Gmax and a copy of the SDK...

Yep!!:ernae::ernae:

heywooood
January 1st, 2009, 19:26
the latest paint for the Sabre Jet....

heywooood
January 1st, 2009, 19:28
found it at Avsim...just in time for the playoff game this Saturday.

Love those Lightning Bolts

N332DW
January 1st, 2009, 19:51
ya know ... even with the SDK and Gmax and having total control of perfection... when is perfection really ever attained ? granted really good is always exciting

but, i digress as i am in the "close enough , works for me club" -
i find that approach, for me personally, broadens the possibilities
- i'm all about possibilites like space craft and parachuting and ballooning and turning the airport into a Gran Prix for my Ferrari F1

m'kay

Bjoern
January 3rd, 2009, 07:21
ya know ... even with the SDK and Gmax and having total control of perfection... when is perfection really ever attained ? granted really good is always exciting

"Perfection is attained when you can't find anything to improve anymore"
(Some famous dude)

:d