PDA

View Full Version : OT: R/C radio with USB?

ryanbatc
June 11th, 2012, 11:10
I know there's a few guys in this forum who fly R/C. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I should start looking for a radio with USB so I can use it in RealFlight G6. I've got the demo and it's impressive but as of now I use keyboard keys hehe.. not very realistic. So I'd like to try and find a used radio that would connect to my PC and maybe I'll find a used or earlier version of RealFlight...

I've got a Super Cub LP and it's great fun... but I'd like to think about something faster but I don't want to crash it hehe...

rdaniell
June 11th, 2012, 11:22
I know there's a few guys in this forum who fly R/C. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I should start looking for a radio with USB so I can use it in RealFlight G6. I've got the demo and it's impressive but as of now I use keyboard keys hehe.. not very realistic. So I'd like to try and find a used radio that would connect to my PC and maybe I'll find a used or earlier version of RealFlight... I've got a Super Cub LP and it's great fun... but I'd like to think about something faster but I don't want to crash it hehe...

Sorry I can't help you with the radio as I thought RealFlight came with a transmitter. At least my version did but, I have RealFlight 4.5. There may be such a thing as a cord with a USB on one end and a regular plug on the other like what is on both ends of the trainer cord for my Specturm DX7.

Your choice of the Super Cub LP is a good one. A lot of the fellows, including myself, started flying RC using that airplane. However, don't worry too much about crashing as that happens to all of us from time to time no matter how long we've been at the hobby. One other piece of advice is find out if there is any sort of RC club close by. Everybody I've ever met in the hobby were most willing to help newcomers get started. My club even has a dedicated airplane and instructor for those new to the hobby.

RD

ryanbatc
June 11th, 2012, 11:24
Ya I think it does I just don't want to spend $200 on a brand new copy... are there any alternatives to RealFlight's software?

rdaniell
June 11th, 2012, 11:28
Ya I think it does I just don't want to spend $200 on a brand new copy... are there any alternatives to RealFlight's software?

I think there is one that also comes with a transmitter that you can use with your RC airplanes. It's about the same cost, however. Check Hobby Zone.

I too hesitated to spend the money on RealFlight but, after going through a couple airplanes, I finally bought it. Best money I ever spent. Just wish I had done it first. Even now I will spend some time on the computer with RealFlight if it has been a few weeks since I've been out to the flying field.

RD

ryanbatc
June 11th, 2012, 12:31
Thanks... I think Futaba radios can do the USB connection... hmmm... I was looking at the Spektrum radios and servos to put in my cub but maybe it's not worth it..

What I am looking at is to upgrade to the faster LP plane, the Apprentice:

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-planes-eflite-apprentice-15e-rtf.htm

rdaniell
June 11th, 2012, 14:00
I was hoping some more of the Outhouse guys who fly RC would drop by with some advice but, here's some more from me. Don't waste your money on trying to upgrade the Super Cub. It flies as good out of the box as it will ever fly. It is strictly a first airplane. At some point in the future it will be to your advantage to purchase a Spectrum DX7 as you can program it to handle several different airplanes. There are new airplanes coming out all the time that are receiver ready. All you have to do is bind them to your transmitter.

RD

cheezyflier
June 11th, 2012, 15:56
I was hoping some more of the Outhouse guys who fly RC would drop by with some advice but, here's some more from me. Don't waste your money on trying to upgrade the Super Cub. It flies as good out of the box as it will ever fly. It is strictly a first airplane. At some point in the future it will be to your advantage to purchase a Spectrum DX7 as you can program it to handle several different airplanes. There are new airplanes coming out all the time that are receiver ready. All you have to do is bind them to your transmitter.

RD

i was coming in here to say something similar. i have the dx5e, because i bought it when i didn't know better. get a computerized radio. that will allow you to fine tune things to your liking. you can't do that with the dx5e. i use mine on a cp heli, and it's totally the wrong unit for that. the jerk salesman made a sale that day, but he'll never see another dollar from me. live and learn, eh?

my advice would be to do exactly what you did to learn flight simulator. use google to find enthusiast forums. learn everything you can. the more research you do, the better off you'll be.
just remember that RTF rarely is, right out of the box. they always need some tweaking.
even more so with BNF. if you want true RTF, your looking at something like a litehawk zoom.
fine for some, but most would get bored with it pretty quickly. it's going to be as pedestrian as possible. otoh, the zoom is really cheap, yet durable. if you decide to try one, once you decide to move up, you won't have a ton of $$ invested in it. well under $100 for everything you need, and well supported. lastly, i would point out that without an ama license, your restricted to park flyers literally at the neighborhood park or open field somewhere. if you want to fly at a modeler's flying field, you'll need a license no matter what you fly.

ryanbatc
June 11th, 2012, 16:05
Oh? What is the license thing about? Is that for larger powerful nitro planes?

I wasn't aware of any R/C regulations...

Also, what would I have to do to make my Cub work with that spektrum dx7 radio? Do I need spektrum servos and how hard are they to install? If it won't work with the cub is it easy to pair most servos with that radio? I admit I do like the look of the spektrum radios.

rdaniell
June 11th, 2012, 16:23
Oh? What is the license thing about? Is that for larger powerful nitro planes? I wasn't aware of any R/C regulations... Also, what would I have to do to make my Cub work with that spektrum dx7 radio? Do I need spektrum servos and how hard are they to install? If it won't work with the cub is it easy to pair most servos with that radio? I admit I do like the look of the spektrum radios.

Question number one: What cheezyflier is referring to is membership in AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics). Most flying clubs and hobby shops with flying fields require you to be a member in order to fly at their fields. It is a great organization. Not the same of course but compare it to AOPA (Airplane Owners and Pilots Association.)

Question number two: You would have to install a Spectrum receiver in the airplane. But as I said earlier, I see no real advantage to doing that as the cub only has two servo controlled surfaces.

Question number three: You normally have to pair your receiver with the transmitter. All of mine of Specturms.

Good luck! BTW....be ready to get the plastic card out as this hobby is highly addictive...and expensive.

RD

cheezyflier
June 12th, 2012, 00:36
Good luck! BTW....be ready to get the plastic card out as this hobby is highly addictive...and expensive.

RD

:icon_lol: man, you ain't just whistlin' dixie!
it's something i've wanted to get into since i was a kid. now that i am gettin my feet wet, it's even cooler than i thought. sometimes i feel like lloyd bridges in the movie hotshots:

"You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down on every one. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life."

rdaniell
June 12th, 2012, 04:51
:icon_lol: man, you ain't just whistlin' dixie!
it's something i've wanted to get into since i was a kid. now that i am gettin my feet wet, it's even cooler than i thought. sometimes i feel like lloyd bridges in the movie hotshots:

"You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down on every one. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life."

Cheezyflier, I am so glad I had finished my coffee before reading your post. Do you think we should let Ryan in on all the superstitions we band of RC brothers have?

RD

OleBoy
June 12th, 2012, 05:15
RD, any radio that has the capability to interconnect via trainer cord, 'should' do what you want to do. That connection gets connected by a dongle, where the dongle is what is connected to your PC.
What I've shared with you guys will at least give you more to search for, for info related to your needs.

I wish I had more time to explain. Good luck.