PDA

View Full Version : SOH Downloads Still a Mystery to me

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 15:51
I figured after helping out a bit with the transitioning of all the archive files that I would be a bit more comfortable with the downloads sections. Not so. . . .and let me say up front that this is not a statement of criticism of Rami. . .considering the immensity of what is the downloads area, he does a great job. . .I just can't find anything using the search. Just seams like to me that if it asks for a username and I plug in Bomber_12th and the keyword P-51D I would get everything that John has done texture-wise for the P-51D. . .I get 2 pages (I know he's done more than that) and not everything on the first page is even a P-51. When I click on page 2 it just takes me to another page of downloads. . .completely unrelated and having nothing to to do with John, the P-51, or anyone else who's ever done a P-51. Grrrrr. . .very frustrating to try to find anything.

P38man
June 4th, 2012, 16:18
I agree with all you falcon409, I cannot find things.

Not complaining at all. I am very appreciative of all the efforts involved and have contributed funds on 2 occasions to help.

Smashing Time
June 4th, 2012, 16:55
I posted this in the newshawks forum.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?66969-Warbird-Library-search-bug&p=719255&viewfull=1#post719255

Dangerousdave26
June 4th, 2012, 17:45
The biggest problem is no one ever includes key words with their uploads. If they did searching would be far easier.

P38man
June 4th, 2012, 18:03
I posted this in the newshawks forum.
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?66969-Warbird-Library-search-bug&p=719255&viewfull=1#post719255

Thanks - will give that a go.

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 18:16
I just tried that. . .using P-51D in the text search, checked "exact phrase", unchecked "and child categories", Bomber_12th for username, Parent categories set to "FSX Skins". . . . .save search and show on my saved searches both checked. Ran the search and it came back with no hits. Just as a note, in the search text box I've also tried "Wings of Power", "WOP", and a few texture names that I could remember. . .all with the same results.

We all know very well that John has done tons of repaints for the P-51D, so obviously they're in there. . . .it's getting to them that's the problem.

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 18:23
The biggest problem is no one ever includes key words with their uploads. If they did searching would be far easier.
So if there are no key words associated with the upload, how does one go about finding anything in the library without starting on page 1 and sifting through hundreds of pages? A person would have to know either the exact zipfile name or the correct username for the person who did a particular livery/scenery/etc. I would guess that many folks can remember someone posting a livery several months ago but not remember exactly who did it but they would remember the aircraft type. So just using that won't really help them if the person who uploaded the file didn't add that as one of the keywords? :isadizzy:

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 18:26
Maybe, as I discovered while moving files over to the new archive, if you don't add at least one keyword to an upload it won't allow it to process until you do. I haven't uploaded anything for several weeks, but I don't believe that's a requirement and apparently it should be. Can that be incorporated Rami?

EMatheson
June 4th, 2012, 19:54
I find it pretty easy to find things - to an extent. I can get a list that should contain it, but only page one works! If I click page 2 of the search generated listing, it redirects to the main page of one of the catagories! I get an alphabetical list of, say, all the FS2004 aircraft, or all of FSX repaints, or... you get the point. In effect, there is no page two when I search because it is impossible to get to...

Smashing Time
June 4th, 2012, 21:03
I just ran a saved search as shown and have 73 files on 5 pages of Bomber_12th.

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 21:29
Ok, so basically quit tryin' to fill in as much search info as possible, lol. . . .just put the authors name in the user name area and run. . . .got it!!:salute:

falcon409
June 5th, 2012, 04:29
I just ran a saved search as shown and have 73 files on 5 pages of Bomber_12th.
Ok, did that and found the same 73 files. . .but as EMatheson says, it will only show you page 1, which is fine if the file you're looking for happens to be on page1. So how does one get to the remaining pages?

:isadizzy:

Smashing Time
June 5th, 2012, 05:17
Go back and run the saved search again. You should be able to go to every succeeding page to find any of the 73 files.

Smashing Time
June 5th, 2012, 20:40
So did that work?