PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbolt - THE BIG LADY

Lewis-A2A
June 4th, 2012, 13:05
There is just something special about the big 'ole girl. Shes semi manual and automated, requires a bit of work but treat her right and she will get you home no matter what, even if I do happen to blow a turbo on a regular basis!.... Besides my girlfriend being pregnant has nothing to do with me suddenly liking the larger Thunderbolt hehe :kilroy:

No doubt because i'm a brit, but she looks best in roundels :P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/rafp472.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/rafp471.jpg

And over Italy this time in her natural US finish,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/blap471.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/blap473.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/blap472.jpg

OT note here; massive thanks to Tako for making the FSX addon list, ive reinstalled FSX a few times recently to check installlers etc and with a house move and other bits managed to loose a few things. The list is making it nice and easy to find everything including the conrad specials! :salute:

crashaz
June 4th, 2012, 13:08
My first FSX A2A plane! Maybe some day we can come back and visit with a bubble canopy model.

Ian Warren
June 4th, 2012, 13:24
Lewis , Great Screens :cool: , We had a multiplay during the weekend , only two of us , myself and Greg in the P-51 , great flight from Christchurch to Foxpine in the NZ , now i wanted to compare similar flight return in the P-47 ... what can i say ... simply A2A:cool:

PS: They had a nickname for the P-47 ... little modification now called "The flying Baby Milk Bottle":icon_lol::icon_lol:....... :wavey:<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setT imeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

rdaniell
June 4th, 2012, 14:19
There is just something special about the big 'ole girl. Shes semi manual and automated, requires a bit of work but treat her right and she will get you home no matter what, even if I do happen to blow a turbo on a regular basis!.... Besides my girlfriend being pregnant has nothing to do with me suddenly liking the larger Thunderbolt hehe :kilroy:

No doubt because i'm a brit, but she looks best in roundels : :salute:

One of my rc flying club's members flew his Thunderbolt yesterday. It has the roundels on it.

RD

jp
June 4th, 2012, 14:19
Lewis,

I've been considering purchasing this aircraft for a few days, but had a question. Is this aircraft updated semi-regularly to "current" standards like the P-40 and Spitfire?

Thanks

JP

Lewis-A2A
June 4th, 2012, 14:37
Ian; Glad you NZFF chaps are enjoying the big ole gal, shes quite something. Certainly nothing dives like a thunderbolt!

crashaz; Maybe one day, but not on the cards at the moment. Things change of course but not just yet.

rdaniell; You got any pictures of that? I love RC aircraft and although not involved myself I do love seeing them fly and I'm fascinated at real world scale model flying

jp; Afraid not. The core aircraft are the recently released, so the Spitfire, P-40 and P-51. Nevertheless the P-47 and other Accu-sim birds still stand up by themselves. Rather you hear it from others than me though as naturally I'm somewhat bias! :engel016:

JanKees worked his magic ten times over on the P-47,mucho thanks for providing just so many paints. Its quite funny to search Ozx for warbirds and be presented with an entire library of JanKees work

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Madaboutsims/P47_JANKEES.jpg

rdaniell
June 4th, 2012, 14:55
"rdaniell; You got any pictures of that? I love RC aircraft and although not involved myself I do love seeing them fly and I'm fascinated at real world scale model flying"[LewisA2A]

Sorry but I don't have any.

RD

Lewis-A2A
June 4th, 2012, 14:57
any pictures you have from your club would be of interest, esp any RC ww2 birds you get your hands on. Ive been to a few airshows over here where they had large RC aircraft flying as part of the show. I remember seeing some beautiful Bf110's with droppable 'bombs'. They but on a great show with those two birds.

fliger747
June 4th, 2012, 15:20
One thing they might add in a revisit of the FDE is mach tuck pitch down in a high speed dive from altitude ..... Which was an issue with this and many other high performance aircraft of the era.

Cheers: T

Roadburner440
June 4th, 2012, 16:42
Semi automated? I must be missing something on all my flights. :icon_lol: I am always tweaking the intercooler flap, engine cowl, and turbo RPM. Unless I stay at a given altitude forever I am always on something. Nice screenies though. P-47 is still a beaut of a plane, and a handful when I fly her cross country with all 3 drop tanks.

roger-wilco-66
June 4th, 2012, 21:49
She's still one of the best FSX / P3D aircraft, IMHO.
Once one has learned to operate the systems properly, she's a blast to fly. I'm always at awe about the workload the pilots had in the Razorback P47. Especially during combat, where you had a lot of altitude changes and constant adjustments of the turbo / manifold pressures. Forget to reduce the turbo RPM during a dive and pop-rattle it goes.
I also love making curved dive landings in it, as the pilots back then did (as well as in P-51s or P38s). The flight model really gives you the feeling of flying a heavy, high powered and high wing loaded aircraft. Simply an amazing accomplishment, A2A team!

Cheers,
Mark

rdaniell
June 4th, 2012, 21:59
any pictures you have from your club would be of interest, esp any RC ww2 birds you get your hands on. Ive been to a few airshows over here where they had large RC aircraft flying as part of the show. I remember seeing some beautiful Bf110's with droppable 'bombs'. They but on a great show with those two birds.

Go to Warbirds Over Deleware and you will be able to view all kinds of photos and videos of rc warbirds. I took a quick look and saw several photos of P-47s.

RD

www.delawarerc.org/warbirds.htm

Edit: Looks like you'll have to cut and paste...

Lewis-A2A
June 5th, 2012, 01:59
rdaniell, thanks for the link, first picture I see is an RC 377! Wonder how much of a slipstreamed handful she is in RC form.

fliger747, If you go in your WoP3_P47D-20 folder, right click on your P-47D-20.air file, and click PROPERTIES. What is your date modified? The Mach tuck has been simulated in the P-47

Roadburner440, yes its more just my style of flying (or falling out of the sky), but you can get away with leaving a few levers for quite some time without worrying about them having too much of a negative impact. Having all the gadgets to get super high and cruise nicely where the ole early manual birds would be coughing for air.

roger-wilco-66, thanks for the words, Glad you enjoy her. Ive had a personal interest with the P-47 ever since I first knew what one was, and it still confuses me a little even today that US pilots transferred from Spitfires to this big truck of the sky and still managed to not only shoot down enemey planes but cause utter carnage both in the air and on the ground with what amount to flying tanks! (Not including the Russian attempt to actually create flying tanks,.. literally!)

fliger747
June 6th, 2012, 15:39
Glad they fixed the Mach tuck, certainly not there in mine, the reason I know this is about that time I was doing the FDE for Milton's XP47J, which did well model this phenomenon. Milton has a huge backlog of WIP projects so I hope this one comes to the front of the pack some time or another, a fun flier.

A german pilot who had flown some captured ETO allied aircraft commented in wonder how the Americans ever had time to fight with all of the cockpit complexities. Tell the boys to keep up the good work: T

rwmarth
June 6th, 2012, 18:28
Took the Thunderbolt out for a quick flight for the first time in a while. One minute in and I was already missing the P-40; one lumbers and the other almost dances. But, once some altitude is attained, the old 'Bolt is second to none up in the thin air. She definitely is the Big Lady of the sky.

roger-wilco-66
June 6th, 2012, 23:04
[...]

A german pilot who had flown some captured ETO allied aircraft commented in wonder how the Americans ever had time to fight with all of the cockpit complexities. Tell the boys to keep up the good work: T

Well, the german fighter pilots weren't used to this, because the M-109 / FW 190 and others had the "Kommandogerät" which took care of the motor and propeller. Basically they only had to adjust the throttle for a desired power setting, the other adjustments, even the changes of the mixture for different altitudes, where made by that brilliantly designed device.

Cheers,
Mark

Lewis-A2A
June 7th, 2012, 09:29
Tom, what vendor did you get it from? Can you tell me the date modeified on your installer?