PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Amelia

Willy
June 2nd, 2012, 11:18
It looks like a group is getting hot and heavy on searching Gardner Island.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/01/previously-dismissed-radio-signals-were-credible-transmissions-from-earhart/?test=latestnews

The 75th anniversary of her disappearance is coming up.

glh
June 2nd, 2012, 11:33
They need to find SOMETHING with a serial/part number that can definitely be associated with her plane by factory confirmation. Or possibly DNA from any human remains found could be matched to any living relatives.

I would certainly like to see a resolution to this mystery before I leave this life.

Firekitten
June 2nd, 2012, 12:01
I'd love for them to find her and her copilot... especially for the family's sake. Have a friend that lives in Atchison, Kansas, her home town, and she's still a big name there.

Just reminds you how dangerous things have been in our not so distant past...

TARPSBird
June 2nd, 2012, 19:05
The anti-freckle ointment jar and liniment bottle are interesting finds. Definitely not the type of items you'd expect to see left behind by fishermen or Coast Guard landing parties. I don't hold out much hope that DNA-identifiable human remains will be found, but the larger/heavier chunks of the aircraft may still be near the island.

Willy
June 2nd, 2012, 20:25
Supposedly there was a female of European descent's partial skeleton found in 1940ish on Gardner Island but the bones have been lost. If it was Amelia, then Fred Noonan should still be around there somewhere.

Firekitten
June 3rd, 2012, 04:54
If they went down with the aircraft, and its under water, there may be wreckage left, but any human remains would be long gone by this point, including bone. Clothing is typically the last to go, but even fabrics are eaten away and dissolve in time. Survival of aircraft remains is far longer in deeper colder water, so if they went down off the island, chances are it might all be gone... another victim of the blue.

pfflyers
June 3rd, 2012, 12:37
As much as I'd like to see a definitive resolution to the mystery, I just have a problem with TIGHAR's credibility.

I guess what bothers me is Ric Gillespie's certainty that he KNOWS exactly what happened.

He reminds me of those cryptozoologists that go to Loch Ness looking for Nessie. The more convinced they are that it's there the more likely they are to find "evidence" to support their belief.

He could be right, and that would be fine with me. He just reminds me of a huckster who's found a way to make a nice living off his quest to find Amelia.

Odie
June 3rd, 2012, 13:28
pfflyers, what peaks my interest (knowing TIGHARs rep) is that Robert Ballard has signed on, too. If there's anything lost in the ocean, he
can probably find it. Titanic, Bismark, PT109..... I also heard that Discovery Channel is filming as well (now this was a few months ago, but
I think they are still involved).

pfflyers
June 3rd, 2012, 18:22
As I said, I'd be happy to see them find conclusive evidence, even if it's TIGHAR that finds it. It's just that seeing Gillespie on TV, he's anything but an objective researcher. Trying to infer that radio signals were likely to have come from her with no real evidence that they did and things like that just remind me of those ufologists, ghost hunters, and cryptozoologists we see on television all the time. I guess I was just born skeptical.

I'll believe it when they find a serial number or data plate, or some other recognizable artifact, bone, DNA, etc.

Certainly having Bob Ballard along provides a lot more credibility for me also.