PDA

View Full Version : Veneaviones Rockwell Turbo Commander 690B VC Upgrade

expat
June 2nd, 2012, 05:57
This one never leaves my active aircraft folder. Just a beautiful model. Great short field and IFR performer AND will do 300 kts over the ground. I actually think this is faster than the Turbine Duke which has a lower airframe speed restriction.

It works well in FSX and am trying to update the VC a bit. I have imported some payware gauges e.g. from the Flight1 Pilatus PC-12 and have the "repair kit" if anyone is interested to fix the windscreen and air.cfg changes to make it fly right in FSX. Inspired by the work of others here, I was wondering if the VC textures could be sharpened up a bit. I would in particular like to make the surface texture "cowling" around the panel (see red circles) more smooth and less mottled looking, but I am confused about which textures to change. If anyone can point me the right way or might want to take a crack at this themselves that would be most appreciated.

expat

falcon409
June 2nd, 2012, 06:07
One of my real favorites for all the reasons you mentioned expat, but I lost it many years ago after a series of HDD crashes and virus attacks. Is that airplane even available any more? I know it used to be on Avsim, but after they were taken down several times by attacks I think it also disappeared.

expat
June 2nd, 2012, 06:20
Howdy Ed. Hoping you might see this.

The original a/c is indeed on Avsim. Also posting my FSX fixitkit (need to mod the flight tuning to stop her wanting to pitch up).

<TBODY>

<TBODY>
Category: Flight Simulator 2004 - Original Aircraft (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/index.php?CatID=fs2004ac)

Veneaviones Rockwell Turbo Commander 690B (Wingleted Version)

<!-- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/Link.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/esearch.php?DLID=143026) -->http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/ZipDive.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/zipdiver.php?DLID=143026) http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/Download.png (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/download.php?DLID=143026)

</TBODY>

<TBODY>
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=251915

File Description:
Veneaviones Simulations Group is proud to present the Rockwell Turbo Commander 690B. This package includes two models (with and without Virtual Cockpit), and features full moving parts including ailerons, trim tabs, rudder, elevator, spoilers, accurate landing gear retraction and extension, lights at all effects. Full details like: pitot tubes, stall warn vanes, air intakes, antennas. FDE mastered with first factory hand information, customized sounds and panel.

For further information please read documentation attached to this package and consult our web site and forum at www.avsim.com/veneaviones (http://www.avsim.com/veneaviones)

</TBODY>

<TBODY>
Filename:

veneaviones_rockwell_turbo_commander_690bwl.zip

License:

Freeware, limited distribution

Added:

14th January 2010

Downloads:

Author:

Veneaviones Simulations Group

Size:

18038kb

</TBODY>

</TBODY>

paiken
June 2nd, 2012, 06:29
The texture you're looking for is "vcpan_690". It's the rectangle in the upper left of the texture sheet. I have also been playing around with this plane, and have cleaned up some of the interior textures as well as replacing the non-working gauges with default FSX gauges. Nowhere near perfect, but it works for me. I found that making the texture a solid color, rather than the "grainy" texutre in the original is the only way to remove the stretching in the vc.

falcon409
June 2nd, 2012, 06:39
Ah, got it. . .thanks expat. Looking at the textures, it is "vcpan_690" and at the top of that texture is a strip that I believe is the texture used on the glare shield. That's the problem with using a "mottled" texture on some areas when the texture is going to have to stretch to cover the surface. . .you get that unrealistic look to it. Easily corrected though. The actual VC textures are in the panel folder "panel.vc" and there are 4 main textures and all of them are pretty fuzzy, so that might take a bit to get everything sharp again. It would sure go a long way to making an excellent airplane that much better though.

expat
June 2nd, 2012, 07:11
Thanks guys. Paiken - that looks MUCH better!

falcon409
June 2nd, 2012, 07:45
I'm going to tackle the VC as well. I like to use shadowing around the gauges and under the glare shield to add some depth and reset all the labels to sharpen them up as well.:salute:

expat
June 2nd, 2012, 07:48
That sounds great! Found this one with a Beech style tan panel surface that looks nice.

expat
June 2nd, 2012, 07:55
Tried the glare shield with a lighter grey . .

falcon409
June 2nd, 2012, 10:22
The first of four sections to the VC panel (before/WIP):

expat
June 2nd, 2012, 10:30
Cool!

Naismith
June 2nd, 2012, 12:11
Avsim seems to be down at the moment but the file is here

http://www.4shared.com/get/t_9xUUGL/veneaviones_rockwell_turbo_com.html

You may have to reg'd to access d/l, but I've had no problems there at all.

falcon409
June 2nd, 2012, 13:23
Coming along pretty nicely so far. I will not be adding the normal shadow effect under the glare shield and the reason is that the VC panel is 4 separate panels and all of them overlap each other at the top and sides. Trying to get a shadow that follows the contour of the sides and then matches exactly the upper left and upper right sections as well as across the top would be more trouble than it's worth. . .doable, but not really, lol.

Milton Shupe
June 2nd, 2012, 13:43
Howdy Ed. Hoping you might see this.

The original a/c is indeed on Avsim. Also posting my FSX fixitkit (need to mod the flight tuning to stop her wanting to pitch up).

Expat,

I took the liberty of modifying the FM to improve some of the issues.

If you wish to try it in FSX, let me know how it does. It had the same issue in FS9 and I have that and a few other things corrected.

Preserve your original air and cfg files before trying this.

For takeoff, no more than 1/2 degree of nose up trim, rotate gently at about 90 kias. Retract gear and flaps at 300AGL.

EDIT: Updated to correct Cruise Speed.

expat
June 2nd, 2012, 14:50
Ed - looking really nice there on the VC textures!

Milton - many thanks for your FM file. Will try her out and report back.:salute:

Great to see the interest in this very underated aircraft!

paiken
June 2nd, 2012, 16:50
This thread got busy while I was away at work. Here are some more shots of the updated textures I worked on. If anyone is interested I can upload them here, along with the modified panel cfg file.

falcon409
June 2nd, 2012, 21:47
Nice work there "paiken". . .should give folks some good alternatives to the original interiors. I still have to change the glare shield color a bit and add matching textures to the throttle controls and a few other areas so it matches the panel. Also need a different carpet with better detail.

expat
June 2nd, 2012, 23:46
All looking really good guys.

expat
June 3rd, 2012, 01:48
Milton,

I am A-B testing your flight model with the default in FSX. Your FM seems more stable in cruise and less twitchy and therefore an improvement. However, somehow with it I am way down on top speed - can't get to the target 240 knots indicated cruise or fast cruise 300+ knots over the ground which I can get with the default FM. Also, note some big differences in the airplane geometry, e.g. wing area 280 vs 560. Will add your changed entries one at a time and see which ones are cutting the airspeed. Also, in FSX it has been a known issue that the aircraft pitches up strongly under full power at takeoff and climbout. The fix is to change this entry to: htail_incidence = 0.500. Thanks as always for your input.

expat

expat
June 3rd, 2012, 03:10
Nevermind - found it - I have a thrust scalar entry of 1.101 for some reason - my bad . .

expat
June 3rd, 2012, 03:38
Modded this paint of Gustavo La Cruz with some black/red trimmed props, darker windows (tweaked the alpha channel) and my own registration. Looks a bit of the sports car.:cool:

Brian_Gladden
June 3rd, 2012, 04:08
I'm having the same cruise speed problem with Milton's dynamics. What did you change? Love how she handles though.

Milton Shupe
June 3rd, 2012, 04:17
I'm having the same cruise speed problem with Milton's dynamics. What did you change? Love how she handles though.

Brian,

Change the wing area back to the original understated value: wing area 280 vs 560

I will update the zip above to incorporate that change.

My one hour tweak was a bit hasty me thinks. :-)

Brian_Gladden
June 3rd, 2012, 04:48
Thanks Milton... I knew it had to be a drag issue somewhere :salute:

falcon409
June 3rd, 2012, 06:55
I'm just getting around to installing Miltons updated files. I noticed where everyone is talking about the wing area needing to be changed back to "280" from 560. Looking at what I just downloaded from the link Milton provided, it was already 280. Did I miss something? Where did the 560 come from? lol. . . .also, and I have no idea how the airfile works, but the wing area noted there is 410sq.ft.

Milton Shupe
June 3rd, 2012, 07:07
I'm just getting around to installing Miltons updated files. I noticed where everyone is talking about the wing area needing to be changed back to "280" from 560. Looking at what I just downloaded from the link Milton provided, it was already 280. Did I miss something? Where did the 560 come from? lol. . . .also, and I have no idea how the airfile works, but the wing area noted there is 410sq.ft.

I had changed it originally to 560 but updated the zip back to the original. The 560 (likely more accurate but I do not have the official area) creates a lot more drag.

The 280 gets you the speed at a slight expense to pitch stability and lift but if that is a problem for you then decrease elevator trim scalar in the flight tuning section.

falcon409
June 3rd, 2012, 08:10
Thanks Milton. VC is complete. Main VC panels (4) were all enlarged to 2048x2048 for better clarity. Everything was redrawn except for the radio's. The radar is the F-16 radar from Loooooooooooooong ago, lol and I replaced the conflicting "altitude Alert" with one I already had. If anyone decides to use this set, be aware that it may not fit every color scheme so the best thing to do is make two panel folders and name one of them "panel.tan" and place a copy of everything from the panel.vc into that folder and let the updated files overwrite when you add them. Be sure to change the "panel=" line in the cfg file for the airplane of your choice to "panel=tan". I was so intent on the artwork that I failed to really pay much attention to the color until I was well into the project. By then I just decided to continue on with what I had. I am going to change the basic color to a more generic gray or charcoal in a few days so folks have something that might work with a wider range of airplane schemes. I'll get this packaged up and posted sometime today.

Milton Shupe
June 3rd, 2012, 08:15
Beautiful work Sir! I like it!

RE: the FM, I looked at some of my old data on the Aero Commanders, 680, 685, etc. and the wing area for the 685 (piston version of the 690) is 266 sq.ft. so I am assuming that the original value is correct. My apologies for the confusion.

heywooood
June 3rd, 2012, 08:15
Thanks Milton. VC is complete. Main VC panels (4) were all enlarged to 2048x2048 for better clarity. Everything was redrawn except for the radio's. The radar is the F-16 radar from Loooooooooooooong ago, lol and I replaced the conflicting "altitude Alert" with one I already had. If anyone decides to use this set, be aware that it may not fit every color scheme so the best thing to do is make two panel folders and name one of them "panel.tan" and place a copy of everything from the panel.vc into that folder and let the updated files overwrite when you add them. Be sure to change the "panel=" line in the cfg file for the airplane of your choice to "panel=tan". I was so intent on the artwork that I failed to really pay much attention to the color until I was well into the project. By then I just decided to continue on with what I had. I am going to change the basic color to a more generic gray or charcoal in a few days so folks have something that might work with a wider range of airplane schemes. I'll get this packaged up and posted sometime today.

Thank you, Falcon...I consider your works to be essential upgrades to the planes you have provided them for:salute:

falcon409
June 3rd, 2012, 17:01
Here's a quick link for the VC Update. Additional color schemes will be forthcoming.
https://www.box.com/s/260aab748f88d75348c7

falcon409
June 3rd, 2012, 20:43
Gray is in the can. . .one more and that should be enough to cover most liveries.

expat
June 3rd, 2012, 23:40
BIG improvement and excellent work Ed!

italoc
June 4th, 2012, 09:39
Hi Falcon,
have you noticed those black marks on the upper side window ???
I think they don't belong there !!
Italo

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 11:11
Hi Falcon,
have you noticed those black marks on the upper side window ???
I think they don't belong there !!
Italo
Yep, I think you're right. . .as a matter of fact, they show up in almost every window. I remember them being there long ago when I first brought it into FSX, and after I had applied the fix to clear the windows. I noticed it's still here with the recent fix so I'm guessing it's something that won't go away.

paiken
June 4th, 2012, 11:29
There's one on the upper window on the left side also. Seems to be burned into the texture mapping. I think one of our resident plane building guru's should look into (please) making an FSX native model. As admirable as the Veneaviones product is, it falls just a little short when used in FSX. Milton, Bill O, Tim, are you out there? Anyone else think this plane should be made?

expat
June 4th, 2012, 15:32
Experimenting with a lighter Beech style beige but think Ed's darker tan/brown and gray may look better. Also getting some funny illuminated spots flying at night which may mean a night mip texture somewhere need some attention along with the row of King Air style radios.

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 15:43
Experimenting with a lighter Beech style beige but think Ed's darker tan/brown and gray may look better. Also getting some funny illuminated spots flying at night which may mean a night mip texture somewhere need some attention along with the row of King Air style radios.
Yep, I noticed the night lighting problem also. I rarely do any night flying, but since I've never done night textures for a panel, I have no idea how to do that so that I can correct the nasty problems I see with my work at night. Bummer!

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 16:01
Ok, I just took a look at the night textures for the panel. Although I'm not sure why they are flipped when the actual panel textures are not, I think I can mimic what they've done and make new textures that match the new layout. May take a bit, cause I've got other things I'm working on, but I'll see what I can do.

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 16:39
Ok, this is gonna work, I still need to do a "knock-out" for the radios and the GPS above the radar. . . .but at least this is taken directly from the current panels so everything is nice and clear. I can see the possibilities for doing more as well. . .like adding some small "light effects" from the individual gauge lamps. Maybe at some point, but right now if I can get the basic lighting right I'll be happy with that.

Wings of Gold
June 4th, 2012, 16:43
ED and Milton: Wonerful panel and strikingly better FDE. Congratulations on the wonderful work. The thing that still strikes me is the REALLY oversize pilots (imagine them getting out that entry door). This is still one of my real favorites. Any improvements are very much appreciated. Bill

Milton Shupe
June 4th, 2012, 18:21
Ok, this is gonna work, I still need to do a "knock-out" for the radios and the GPS above the radar. . . .but at least this is taken directly from the current panels so everything is nice and clear. I can see the possibilities for doing more as well. . .like adding some small "light effects" from the individual gauge lamps. Maybe at some point, but right now if I can get the basic lighting right I'll be happy with that.

Ed,

It is correct that (in FS9) the gauge backlighting _L textures in the texture folders must be inverted (vertically).

The light maps "light values" are "additive" lighting meaning that the light values on it are added to the day texture (as shown at night without lights on) to produce a "light effect".

With that in mind, then yes, you can have light spraying off in any direction anywhere that the light map covers.

Great job on the panel bmps. :-)

OleBoy
June 4th, 2012, 18:55
What you're doing , Ed, looks good. Real good in comparison to what it was. It's nice to have people like you in the hobby, that do things like this for their enjoyment of the hobby. Not to mention sharing that enjoyment with everyone else.
So many these days take things for granted. Something that's been stuck in my craw for quite awhile now.

I may as well get this off my chest now. From a sharing stand point, I decided to put my paint brushes away. In lamens terms, OleBoy's Paintshop, is closed. Sorry folks.

falcon409
June 4th, 2012, 21:32
Ok, I've got the basics lit up with new night textures and alpha's. Good enough for right now. I'll post the replacement textures tomorrow. . .I had serious Dental surgery today and it's time for some pain meds and bed!!

expat
June 5th, 2012, 00:18
Get well Ed - and many thanks for all your great work on this project.:salute:

expat
June 7th, 2012, 14:38
More shenanigans with the panel and planting various gauges. Mostly based on avionics upgrades done on contemporary Twin Commanders. The EADI, EHSI and Altimeter are from the F1 Pilatus but the modern ones in the stack are all freeware. Search for "Don Kuhn" and you will find the GNS430, GNS530 and GMA340 which I use in almost all of my 1,000+ aircraft. Encourage you to use these great gauges. The AP is also freeware if you search for "Meggitt" over at avsim.

Re the FM, I am having a problem with a persistent subtle pitching while at altitude in level cruise. Will keep upping the pitch stability to see if it goes away.

Milton Shupe
June 8th, 2012, 12:27
... snipped ...Re the FM, I am having a problem with a persistent subtle pitching while at altitude in level cruise. Will keep upping the pitch stability to see if it goes away.

expat, did some testing here regarding pitch stability.

When on the AP that came with the aircraft, I do have that subtle pitching (really noticeable if you go to 16X sim rate).

With AP off, she flies stable so the issue is apparently with the AP or the cfg settings for the AP.

expat
June 8th, 2012, 15:32
Milton,

Thank you kindly. I have just figured out the freeware Meggitt AP I downloaded and looked like nice eye candy - and worked fine as an AP - was causing the pitching. I have reverted to the default simple to use AP and no more pitching. I am at the moment happily heading down to Palm Beach KPBI at FL270 in the Turbo Commander at 304 TAS and enjoying life! Thanks very much for your interest in this little side line.

Lee

Milton Shupe
June 8th, 2012, 15:53
Milton,

Thank you kindly. I have just figured out the freeware Meggitt AP I downloaded and looked like nice eye candy - and worked fine as an AP - was causing the pitching. I have reverted to the default simple to use AP and no more pitching. I am at the moment happily heading down to Palm Beach KPBI at FL270 in the Turbo Commander at 304 TAS and enjoying life! Thanks very much for your interest in this little side line.

Lee

Okay, great expat. I just wanted to ensure it wasn't something I did wrong. :-)

expat
June 8th, 2012, 16:05
Au contraire, your FM mods have ironed out some long standing wrinkles making this an a/c one can count on to be a good flyer!

expat
June 9th, 2012, 05:53
By request, I am uploading another version of Ed's HD VC textures in "Beech style" beige/cream. I have not had a chance to test these in the sim so let me know if there are any errors. As I am and some of you may still be fiddling with gauge placement, you may want to move some of the gauge surrounds to other spots.

Also, does anyone have problems getting the engine plugs, chocks and flags to appear? I have not been able to at all (supposed to be the T for tailhook key) until just a moment ago but don't know what it was I pressed and can't seem to repeat the step!

expat

expat
June 9th, 2012, 07:52
Sorry, those VC textures I uploaded were all screwy - I saved them in 16bit and they reflect everything. So let's try again! Some bonus textures here - NB these two other files go in each of your REPAINT folders (not the panel). One gives the panel glare shield a dark grey color and the other makes the windows a darker green tint.

falcon409
June 9th, 2012, 07:55
Expat, do you have Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop? If so I can zip up the layered VC files as well as the updated night textures I did for the VC and send it to you to experiment with. You can see how I got to where it is a bit easier and probably come up with personal changes to it a lot easier.

expat
June 9th, 2012, 08:27
Gosh, placing gauges takes time (I know I should have bought the Panel Studio thing years ago . .). Just about finished - though there are still some unused spaces here and there!:icon_lol:

expat
June 9th, 2012, 08:32
Ed, thanks very much. I, er, actually DO have Photoshop, but I don't, I don't, I don't KNOW HOW TO USE IT !!! WHAAAAAAAAA!! :icon_eek:

I mess up others' good work strictly using DXT.bmp and MS Paint (and sometimes GIMP, but pretty basic stuff). Grateful for anything you can send!!

Cheers,

expat

paiken
June 9th, 2012, 08:41
Found this new panel while looking for pictures on panel layouts.

falcon409
June 9th, 2012, 08:42
Ed, thanks very much. I, er, actually DO have Photoshop, but I don't, I don't, I don't KNOW HOW TO USE IT !!! WHAAAAAAAAA!! :icon_eek:
I mess up others' good work strictly using DXT.bmp and MS Paint (and sometimes GIMP, but pretty basic stuff). Grateful for anything you can send!!
Cheers,
expat
lol, ok. . . .I have a "try before you buy" version of Photoshop, but I don't use it because I like Paint Shop Pro. Tried GIMP, but never used it for the same reason, however GIMP may be the ticket for using the layered files I'm sending you. Feel free to do whatever you like with the files and no restrictions on publishing. I'll get everything ready and when you have time, send me a PM with your e-mail addy and I'll send you a download link.:salute:

Milton Shupe
June 9th, 2012, 09:18
Gosh, placing gauges takes time (I know I should have bought the Panel Studio thing years ago . .). Just about finished - though there are still some unused spaces here and there!:icon_lol:

The panel looks great!

Let me just say that Panel Studio is one the very best investments I ever made. Go for it.

falcon409
June 9th, 2012, 09:57
The panel looks great!
Let me just say that Panel Studio is one the very best investments I ever made. Go for it.
Yep, I concur. . .the best thing I ever did was make the leap and buy it years ago. It took me from fixing a few missing gauges to what I do know. Well worth it.

falcon409
June 9th, 2012, 10:01
That reminds me (in a round about way) does anyone have the fix for the Autopilot missing in the VC from the center console? I know I saw it either mentioned or posted somewhere but can't remember where.

expat
June 9th, 2012, 10:06
Yes! Courtesy of Obie311. Worked for me. But you will have also seen I have added a more modern AP to the dash . .

[Vcockpit05]
file=$690vc05.bmp
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=256,256
visible=0
pixel_size=256,256
texture=$690vc05
gauge00=ST_690!AP_106, 0,0,255,255 //-3,-7,256,261

[Vcockpit06]
file=$690vc06.bmp
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=256,256
visible=0
pixel_size=256,256
texture=$690vc06
gauge00=ST_690!AP_106-3, 0,0,255,255//8,3,235,240

IFlySWA
June 9th, 2012, 11:35
Found this new panel while looking for pictures on panel layouts.
I like it! Nice find. :)

Brian

Obie311
June 9th, 2012, 15:56
No Panel Studio either although I wouldn't mind having it. Can it place VC gauges as well?

My version is not quite as fancy as expat's but I'm pleased. I found Falcon409's BAE146 altitude select window and added it today. Plain old GPS500 instead of the nice 430/530 expat has. It's just a panel filler as I use the popup for real navigation.

Only two things bothering me now. The compass needs a surround. Expat how did you do yours? I think the radios look one dimensional too. Any suggestions for that?

Obie311

Milton Shupe
June 9th, 2012, 16:33
No Panel Studio either although I wouldn't mind having it. Can it place VC gauges as well?

... snipped...
Obie311

Very nice work there Obie :-)

Yes it can if you allow it by doing a little bit of work. I use it for all my VC work.

See attached.

What I do is create a panel.cfg for each vcockpit section, named appropriately. While working on them, I rename the normal panel.cfg to panel2d.cfg.

The vcockpit sections each get their own named panelvc01, 02, 03, 04.cfg. All you need in it is window00.

As I work on each, I rename it to panel.cfg.
When done, I copy the new gauge entries back to the panel2d.cfg.

So just setup a panel.cfg for each vcockpitnn entry as if it were a 2D cockpit. Work on it, copy the results back to the main panel.cfg when done.

expat
June 10th, 2012, 01:36
Posting again the "fixitkit" that fixes the solid windscreen in FSX and has some air.cfg mods to stop the a/c pitching upwards.

Obie311
June 10th, 2012, 07:41
Posting again the "fixitkit" that fixes the solid windscreen in FSX and has some air.cfg mods to stop the a/c pitching upwards.
Thanks Expat. Does the windshield fix also fix the whiskey compass surround? Does the air.cfg include Milton's tweaks?

Obie

paiken
June 10th, 2012, 08:47
Just playing around a little bit. Came up with this "modern" cockpit layout using default gauges.

falcon409
June 10th, 2012, 10:00
I like it. Nice job Paiken!!

IFlySWA
June 10th, 2012, 10:39
Slick! :applause:

Brian

expat
June 10th, 2012, 10:58
Does the windshield fix also fix the whiskey compass surround? Does the air.cfg include Milton's tweaks?

My air.cfg pre-dates Milton's so you need to combine them/experiment to see which you like best. Milton's are posted earlier in this thread. I and others had a major problem with the plane pitching up on take off and when re-entering the sim. I found elsewhere the solution was to make the following tweak to the air.cfg:

htail_incidence = 0.500

People's mileage may vary etc.

Just playing around a little bit. Came up with this "modern" cockpit layout using default gauges.

Very good! Looks like the one IRL posted furher back.

Milton Shupe
June 10th, 2012, 11:41
htail incidence was but a small part of the problem. CoG was at 40+% MAC but if it flies okay for you, what the heck. :-)

expat
June 10th, 2012, 12:50
Milton,

I have your most recent FM set - unadulterated except for some Shockwave lights - and she flies very nicely indeed!

expat

Obie311
June 10th, 2012, 22:37
Posting again the "fixitkit" <snip>

Thanks Expat. Your alternate textvc4 file not only fixed the compass surround but it fixed the overhead control panel too. Thanks also to Milton for the excellent revised FM mods and Falcon409 for the handsome panel re-do. It has an astounding texture and legibility. I even marvel over the screw head detail. This package is well on it's way to being a 1st class FSX airplane.

One other quibble I noticed. The Veneaviones aircraft.cfg shows the flaps down stall speed as 90 Kias. I think it should be 76 Kias instead.

Any ideas for the remaining little slivers in the overhead window panels?

Obie</snip>

expat
June 11th, 2012, 00:00
Any ideas for the remaining little slivers in the overhead window panels?

Not sure. I don't usually look up there! (Doctor, it hurts when I do that . . )

Is there a parking brake anywhere for this?

Also, anyone having trouble getting the parking plugs and flags to appear?

expat
June 11th, 2012, 01:54
Someone mentioned to me that the fuel burn/economy seems off. Specs (see Eagle Creek Aviation site) for the 690B suggest that at a cruise speed of 275 KTAS at FL260 the fuel burn should be about 60-90 gal per hour. Target seems to be around 75 gph. Assume these figures are for both engines, i.e. the whole aircraft, not just per engine. At high speed (295 KTAS) I get a burn of about 75 gph for EACH engine.

Testing now, with the fuel burn reading at about 45.5 gal per hour for each engine, I am crusing at FL260 but reading can only achieve 259 KTAS. Anyone have similar experiences?

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2012, 06:22
Fuel consumption is easy to adjust. What are the real world burn rates under specific operating conditions and power settings.

expat
June 11th, 2012, 07:46
Milton,

Am looking for some charts. Only thing thus far that mentions fuel burn thus far . .

http://www.aoc.noaa.gov/aircraft_turbo.htm

expat

Obie311
June 11th, 2012, 08:28
Someone mentioned to me that the fuel burn/economy seems off. Specs (see Eagle Creek Aviation site) for the 690B suggest that at a cruise speed of 275 KTAS at FL260 the fuel burn should be about 60-90 gal per hour. Target seems to be around 75 gph. Assume these figures are for both engines, i.e. the whole aircraft, not just per engine. At high speed (295 KTAS) I get a burn of about 75 gph for EACH engine.

Testing now, with the fuel burn reading at about 45.5 gal per hour for each engine, I am crusing at FL260 but reading can only achieve 259 KTAS. Anyone have similar experiences?

That figure of 75gph is for both engines. I have a pilot in Texas who is graciously copying his performance charts from his POH for me. I will get that file to Milton when I receive it.

On your other point, I too cannot get the plugs and pitot cover to appear. Where is that triggered? It's a nice feature for freeware. It would look especially cool with the cabin and baggage doors open.

Here is a link to a little discussion I was having with TC operators at Twin Commanders.
http://www.flightlevelsonline.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=279

Obie311

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2012, 08:38
Thanks Obie. My tweaks required but an hour to fix noted issues with weight and balance and climbout/approach/landing pitch. I didn't focus on performance.

With proper performance data, I could look at doing a new FM if I can make the time with my other projects and library moves.
No promises on that.

Obie311
June 11th, 2012, 14:50
Is there a parking brake anywhere for this?

I don't think there is a visible one at least not in the VC. My default flight starts w/ engines on and parking brake set. So the parking brake is virtually enabled. It can be release with the "." keystroke but I've never been able to reset it. I think on the actual a/c it's under the gear handle just to the left of the power levers.

Obie311

Milton Shupe
June 11th, 2012, 15:33
Does the cntrl+. not engage it as it does in FS9?

expat
June 11th, 2012, 22:42
Works fine for me - on and off - with "Ctrl + ." but no visible handle or gauge entry I can see.

fxsttcb
June 12th, 2012, 06:53
Glad to see folks tackling this one! I started on it a loooong time ago, but, got sidetracked I guess.
Here is a data sheet I compiled for those can use it...Don'

olderndirt
June 13th, 2012, 12:52
With a big assist from 'Expat', got this baby running - you guys will each have an attaboy inserted in your permanent files. My version of Ed's panel is missing a couple of altimeters - wonder if they went when FSX was subtracting all those gauges?6743167432

falcon409
June 13th, 2012, 13:07
With a big assist from 'Expat', got this baby running - you guys will each have an attaboy inserted in your permanent files. My version of Ed's panel is missing a couple of altimeters - wonder if they went when FSX was subtracting all those gauges?6743167432
Sorry about that. The altimeter I used was from the AS350. I would guess you could drop any other altimeter in there and it would work. I wanted one without the bezel since I'd already drawn them to match and that was the first one I came across. I think the easiest way would be to find one on another airplane that's just the gauge, look in that panel.cfg and copy the gauge reference (just the gauge name, not the location numbers) then plug that name into the turbo Commander panel config in place of the AS350.:salute:

Obie311
June 13th, 2012, 19:00
With a big assist from 'Expat', got this baby running - you guys will each have an attaboy inserted in your permanent files. My version of Ed's panel is missing a couple of altimeters -

Yep I used Piglet's pc-7 altimeter at first and it worked and then I changed to the Iris PC-9. Try a couple of the default altimeters like the C208 and maybe the Baron and see how it works. Ed's panel is nice, Expat's glass fix worked great and Milton's flight dynamics added a lot.

Obie311

olderndirt
June 14th, 2012, 08:46
Yep I used Piglet's pc-7 altimeter at first and it worked and then I changed to the Iris PC-9. Try a couple of the default altimeters like the C208 and maybe the Baron and see how it works. Ed's panel is nice, Expat's glass fix worked great and Milton's flight dynamics added a lot.Have the Carenado C185 altimeter in the hole for now. Is the weather radar (below GPS) supposed to work?

falcon409
June 14th, 2012, 12:42
Have the Carenado C185 altimeter in the hole for now. Is the weather radar (below GPS) supposed to work?
That's AI Radar. I used the old F-16.gau radar from Kirk Ollsens Falcon.

Obie311
June 15th, 2012, 10:40
With proper performance data, I could look at doing a new FM if I can make the time with my other projects and library moves.
No promises on that.

Here are the charts I received. Let me know if they work for you.

Obie311

Obie311
June 29th, 2012, 08:31
I thought I'd bump this to the top. I do like flying this airplane. It almost seems to have a cult status among owners and operators. And I like that it's not just a rich guy's toy. A lot of people earn their living with the Turbo Commander. We seem to have lost our momentum just as we were approaching payware quality. Lots of good things were happening.

I know we had a top "brain trust" with expat, falcon, Milton, fxsttcb, olderthandirt, and paiken involved. My skills are very meager in comparison. Any interest in more FSX tweaks?

Obie311

olderndirt
June 29th, 2012, 11:17
Had I the skills, I'd compile a single download with all files (including an installation readme) necessary for what's been accomplished so far - similar to what's been done for the SOH A26 and the Section F8 Sabre.

Obie311
June 29th, 2012, 20:34
Had I the skills, I'd compile a single download with all files (including an installation readme) necessary for what's been accomplished so far

I had thought about this earlier but I didn't want to disrespect the fine work of the original Veneaviones group. Since I am new to this hobby I wasn't sure what was appropriate with regard to modifying other people's work even if it is a portover.

I most likely have the skills to compile and zip the files for an upload but I'd want to include the new performance mods Milton is working on and, ideally a little fix for the skylight windows if possible (this is something I personally don't have the skills for). Sort of a "Best of TC690" compilation album.

Obie311

expat
July 3rd, 2012, 02:53
Bump.

Obie, a most kind offer by you which should not go unnoticed!

Others here more expert on this than me will hopefully chime in but this should be do-able as the original product is freeware and there are other "updates" e.g. for FSX over at simviation. Don't think the Veneaviones group is still active. The key etiquette is give all other freeware contributors credit/acknowledgement for their work (i.e. leave no doubt no one else is claiming credit for another's work). Problem is, we don't always know or remember who did what. For example, another kind sole somewhere here at the SOH gave me the modified windscreen texture that stops it from appearing solid in FSX but I don't recall who or when this was.

yankeeromeo
August 23rd, 2012, 04:12
Hello Folks,

i have read with interest all you wrote about this excellent bird, but i'm facing a problem with the VC, i have no Altimeter indicator and the upper panel is looking strange/transparent !
Do you have some ideas how to fix these problems ?
@Expat, love your VC, any chance to have your files, s'il vous plait ?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
Cheers.

expat
August 23rd, 2012, 07:32
Think we all had that and some other missing gauges. Pretty simple to swap a different default or - if have them - payware in there by editing the panel.cfg.

You are welcome to my "vc" - which is really Falcon's work with a respray. You will find the textures posted in this thread at post #50. Be warned though that if you are after the appearance in some of my screenshots I have numerous gauges changed and substituted with a few payware ones that make for good eye candy.

Firekitten
August 23rd, 2012, 11:14
Any thoughts on the translucent overhead? I have the same issue, and its bugging me rotten!

Obie311
August 23rd, 2012, 16:00
Any thoughts on the translucent overhead? I have the same issue, and its bugging me rotten!

One of the previous files fixed this for me. I think it was Expat's but I'm not sure. I also stripped out the overhead electrical and starter panel and used it as a pop-up window. Very handy! If you'd like to have it, PM me and I will send you what I've got.

I have been bugged by the little phantom slivers in the skylight windows port and starboard. I PM'ed Milton Shupe and asked if he could do anything to rectify this.

I don't imagine he'd mind me sharing his response with the list:

"I can find no texture in the folder that has the glass and reflections in them. They show up fine in FS9, but not in FSX. I can only assume that these textures were "baked" into the model."

If the Top Guns like Milton, Falcon409, Expat, and Firekitten are baffled by this anomaly, I know it's way beyond me.

The TC690 is versatile bad a$$ turboprop that deserves to be ported to FSX. If any of the Veneaviones group, or anyone else out there can help with this, I'm sure I speak for all of us, we'd appreciate it.

Regards,
Obie

Firekitten
August 23rd, 2012, 16:21
I'm a topgun? oh jeez, must work on looking unimportant... they might be low on ammunition...

Seriously though, its a pity if it is model texture, It surprises me, considering its got switches on there... I wonder if its something from the panel folder with a missing gauge or two? I shall investigate further. Its the surround for the whiskey compass too.. may see if its a translucent material issue from fs9, its certainly not linked to the lights like some old fs9 materials. specularity? (not a modeler)

Edit; Right, I had a fiddle... for some reason, this part is mapped wrong... I think its an error when It was put together. the overhead and whiskey compass is mapped to the text_vc4 texture... the glass. Fixing the non transparent glass, makes this transparent too. weird eh?

There is a bmp in the panel folder mapping to the whiskey compass, but it doesn't appear in the model, nothing for the OH, so perhaps missing... Although the whiskey compass background is present, and called for in the panel.cfg, its not appearing... so a farting great bug, that wasn't swatted... and probably never will be :(

Obie311
August 23rd, 2012, 18:51
Firekitten, I've modified so much on the TC I'm not absolutely certain but I think it was text_vc04.bmp file in Expat's AC690_FSX_FixItKit (response #64 of this thread) that improved the overhead panel and the whiskey compass surround. I won't say it's perfect but it's a heckuva improvement and it stopped it from getting under my skin. I think even the switches are switchable. Try it and see.

Obie

airattackimages
August 23rd, 2012, 18:55
I know somebody will want to smack me, but... is there a package I can download for this (actually curious if someone can tell me which page it's on). I've browsed the thread a bit, but I just want to know where to go. I see lots of updating, but not sure where to get what I'm seeing in the thread. :)

EDIT: I already have this aircraft, but just want to know if there's a package for the improved version you've all been working on. I'd share my buddies' USFS paint he made for it, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. :salute:

Firekitten
August 23rd, 2012, 19:07
Firekitten, I've modified so much on the TC I'm not absolutely certain but I think it was text_vc04.bmp file in Expat's AC690_FSX_FixItKit (response #64 of this thread) that improved the overhead panel and the whiskey compass surround. I won't say it's perfect but it's a heckuva improvement and it stopped it from getting under my skin. I think even the switches are switchable. Try it and see.

Obie

Bingo... that looks like the ticket. It was my next step actually.. blow up text_vc4 and fill with colour squares to find out what maps where... this file looks like it does it! perfecto! You're a star Obie!

Btw, I fixed the model material for the windscreen that fixes the vc rain effect blackness.... its the material mapped to this very texture.

Obie311
August 23rd, 2012, 21:43
Credit goes to Milton, Falcon, Expat, and Paiken. They actually came up with the improvements. I guess I'm just the Librarian. Glad it helped.

yankeeromeo
August 23rd, 2012, 22:56
Hello Folks,

the fixitkit work well for me, Thanks to Expat.
About the missing altimeter, anybody sharing the "how to do", i have read some about gauge editing etc... but not for me, still confusing! i'm just in need for an altimeter !
last thing is a little anoying, at least for me; the trim setting has a strange behavior, i use the num pad keys for trimming aircrafts which working well but with the TC, it seems to move all the elevator, no trim tab elevator on the TC !!??
what's about you Folks, same ?
Thanks again to all of you:salute::salute:
Cheers:ernae:

Milton Shupe
August 24th, 2012, 07:16
I must apologize to you good people who have awaited a new flight model. Things have gone well in the setup to hit the numbers but I am having issues with the throttle response. Seems nothing happens until about 75% throttle to 85% and then no changes between 85% and 100% throttle. I have not yet figured this one out but have not yet resolved to failure. :-)

Once I get this issue sorted out, I can continue the quest and tweak it out for optimal performance.

yankeeromeo
August 24th, 2012, 07:24
Hello,
no apologize at all, take your time.
Thanks to you Milton.
Cheers.

Obie311
August 24th, 2012, 09:06
Hello Folks,

the fixitkit work well for me, Thanks to Expat.
About the missing altimeter, anybody sharing the "how to do",
Cheers:ernae:

I sent you the file YR but to replace the missing altimeter anyone can use the default Cessna Caravan altimeter.

Find and replace all the altimeter references in the panel.VC folder config file. Do not replace the Radar Altimeter references. Simple copy and paste.

The line to paste into panel.cfg looks like this: Cessna208B_XML!altimeter .

Obie

BillgjCook
August 24th, 2012, 09:49
I know somebody will want to smack me, but... is there a package I can download for this (actually curious if someone can tell me which page it's on). I've browsed the thread a bit, but I just want to know where to go. I see lots of updating, but not sure where to get what I'm seeing in the thread. :)

EDIT: I already have this aircraft, but just want to know if there's a package for the improved version you've all been working on. I'd share my buddies' USFS paint he made for it, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. :salute:

Hi airattackimages, you can find the original download at avsim, just do a search for Veneaviones Rockwell Turbo Commander 690B and you will find it there.

paiken
August 24th, 2012, 11:32
If anyone is interested, I have a "modern" cockpit that I've been working on (very slowly) for the last month or so. There is no night mask available yet, so you may get some pretty strange looking textures if you fly in the dark.

yankeeromeo
August 24th, 2012, 14:32
Hello FOlks,

thanks to Obie311 but i'm still not having this damned altimeter, tried also the Paiken's version, the modern one, but it doesn't work for me, see the pic ?!

don't understand, any advices are welcomed:salute:
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

fxsttcb
August 24th, 2012, 15:00
Hello FOlks,

thanks to Obie311 but i'm still not having this damned altimeter, tried also the Paiken's version, the modern one, but it doesn't work for me, see the pic ?!
don't understand, any advices are welcomed:salute:
Thanks in advance.
Cheers.I think you need to put a copy of Bombardier_CRJ_700.cab in your FSX/Gauges Folder to make paiken's Glass version work.
It is placed only in the Bombardier_CRJ_700's panel folder by default.

For the altimeter I did the notepad replace deal, Find: rp733_alt Replace with KingAir!altimeter
It isn't a perfect fit but darn close. You can tweak it's coords if desired...Don

Obie311
August 24th, 2012, 15:49
I think you need to put a copy of Bombardier_CRJ_700.cab in your FSX/Gauges Folder to make paiken's Glass version work.
IDon

Yep from the look of your pix you've got Paiken's very modern glass cockpit background. I was making the assumption you had the default C208 Caravan (or King Air) in your FSX gauges folder.

My copy and paste fix works for the original panel or Falcon409 "steam gauge"version in response #30 of this thread (Turbo_Comm_VC.zip) or Expat's version in response #51.

Obie

yankeeromeo
August 25th, 2012, 02:54
@fxsttcb; i added the Bombardier_CRJ_700.cab and it seems to work, despite no buttons for altitude, altimeter, heading bug setting etc... but i have the panel.

@obie311; if i understood well, i should have a C208B.cab or something else, but i don't have this cab file on my FSX gauge folder !!??

didn't find thi cab file on the web, any ideas ?

Thanks for your help and support:salute:
cheers.

yankeeromeo
August 25th, 2012, 05:54
OK, my bad, i finally found the cab file:blind::blind: , installed the proper panel.cfg and everythings are ok now.
Thanks to Obie311 and fxsttcb for their support:salute::salute:

:ernae:

yankeeromeo
August 28th, 2012, 06:54
Hello FOlks,

Just to make sure: did you have an "air brake" on the 690 ?! when i press the correspondant key, on my keyboard, the 690 airspeed is droping ?!

Is the real one have an airbrake, don't thing so, like the MU-2 ?
What's about your guys ?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.

expat
August 28th, 2012, 08:12
No airbrakes on any Aero or Turbo Commanders AFAIK.

yankeeromeo
August 28th, 2012, 23:09
ok, that's what i thought, what's about the droping airspeed when you press the key !?
CHeers.

expat
August 29th, 2012, 02:17
Well, its obviously been modeled in by the designers. Probably can comment it out somewhere in the air.cfg, or even more simple, just "keep your hands away from the speed brake key"!

yankeeromeo
August 29th, 2012, 07:20
yeah right, very far away.
Cheers.

Obie311
August 29th, 2012, 15:09
What key are you hitting? If it's F2 that's "Throttle decrease rapidly" or Prop reverse in the TC. With Forward Slash (/) I have no response on my aircraft.

Obie

yankeeromeo
August 29th, 2012, 22:15
yes, with / ?!
Cheers

Timber
December 12th, 2012, 09:48
Reading through these post and all the work you all did on this plane. I'm wondering if there was any closure to having a downloadable package. If not is there a list of what to download and all to get this plane flying in FSX.
Again all your work is really appreciated.

Regards,
Ken

paiken
December 13th, 2012, 11:56
Last thing I heard was that someone was going to try tweaking the air file to make the engines work properly. There are some updates available @ flightsim.com (or there were at one time), but there were some minor issues with that update. There are also some pretty unusual issues with the textures showing, so short of a complete rebuild of the model using the FSX SDK there will always be some gauges showing up in the upper windows. I guess we'll have to keep hoping one of the developers will decide to tackle this one.

Obie311
December 13th, 2012, 17:38
Last thing I heard was that someone was going to try tweaking the air file to make the engines work properly. <snip> I guess we'll have to keep hoping one of the developers will decide to tackle this one.

I sent Milton Shupe some performance charts to help with the air file. It is going to be tough to get the Garretts to operate properly w/ FSX code but apparently PMDG has done it to a certain extent with the J41 (I don't know first hand since I don't own it).

As we know Milton is a very busy man with a lot of demands on his time and talents. I have been loathe to contact him but since you brought it up, perhaps he will check in?

I too agree that this would be a fantastic aircraft for a top-notch developer to tackle. I believe we are rich in King Airs and Dukes so it's time for an FSX version of this tough and versatile bird.

Obie
</snip>

Obie311
December 13th, 2012, 17:46
Reading through these post and all the work you all did on this plane. I'm wondering if there was any closure to having a downloadable package. If not is there a list of what to download and all to get this plane flying in FSX.
Again all your work is really appreciated.

Regards,
Ken

Hi Ken,

You might try the following files and see what you get. My version is such a Frankenstein (but a fairly complete well flying one) that I've forgotten what files I finally used.

AC690_FSX_FixItKit.zip
veneaviones_rockwell_turbo_commander_690bwl.zip
Turbo_Comm_VC

Regards,
Obie

Milton Shupe
December 13th, 2012, 19:34
I sent Milton Shupe some performance charts to help with the air file. It is going to be tough to get the Garretts to operate properly w/ FSX code but apparently PMDG has done it to a certain extent with the J41 (I don't know first hand since I don't own it).

As we know Milton is a very busy man with a lot of demands on his time and talents. I have been loathe to contact him but since you brought it up, perhaps he will check in?

I too agree that this would be a fantastic aircraft for a top-notch developer to tackle. I believe we are rich in King Airs and Dukes so it's time for an FSX version of this tough and versatile bird.

Obie
</SNIP>

Yes, I received them as well. The FM was done but the issue as expected is that the Garretts just do not want to play well. We worked on them, got some improvement and it is pseudo okay but nothing I would release with my name on it. :-)

We experienced a similar Garrett issue with the S2Tracker Turbo with Garretts but Fliger747 pretty well has that one whipped. The engine response is very good with only one touchy spot which he is working on. Otherwise she is predictable and smooth.

The FM I did is basically not worth having unless the engines are good. Without the engine performance issue resolved, the flight characteristics cannot be tuned. Sorry guys. :-/

Obie311
December 13th, 2012, 23:35
We experienced a similar Garrett issue with the S2Tracker Turbo with Garretts but Fliger747 pretty well has that one whipped.

Without the engine performance issue resolved, the flight characteristics cannot be tuned. Sorry guys. :-/

Thanks for trying Milton.

Fliger747... would you be interested in taking a shot at it?

Obie

expat
December 14th, 2012, 03:01
It would be good to tap the know-how learned re the S2Turbo Tracker to improve the AC690 engine performance.

I have it set up to fly pretty normally and predictably. Can do around 300 KIAS max which is about right for the -10 upgraded versions. Think it was the fuel burn that was off the mark but even that can be tweaked with the fuel scalar.

Like Obie311, my bird is a Frankenstein with a number of payware gauges that others may not have or know how to swap out so this one may not lend itself to be so easily put into a "final" package. However, others should not be discouraged from putting together their own "home built" version with the various fixes in this thread - it's fun and also educational experimenting.

Timber
December 14th, 2012, 11:45
The 690 is an itch that is hard to scratch and just will not go away. Obie, thanks for your response. I managed to get the plane loaded, replaced the altimeter with one from Milton's 500 series. Loaded the alpha channels for text.vc4.bmp in PSP, and after trial and error layered it black. that cleaned the windows up pretty well. Still a couple of spears hanging out on the starboard window though.
Would be just great if one of the guys could fix the engines, that's for sure.

Obie311
December 14th, 2012, 20:08
replaced the altimeter with one from Milton's 500 series. <snip>
Still a couple of spears hanging out on the starboard window though.
Would be just great if one of the guys could fix the engines, that's for sure.

I think there are several default FSX aircraft choices for the altimeter. Try the Baron, C208, maybe the KingAir (but most of that panel sucks) even the JetRanger. I am using the Iris PC-9 freeware altimeter in my latest iteration and it looks great. You can even use a different one on the co-pilot side for a more cobbled up look.

The spears in the port and starboard skylight windows are just a bad legacy from the portover. Don't know a solution for them. Wish a couple of the Veneaviones wizards would surface and offer us some wisdom. This is a great aircraft.

Obie