PDA

View Full Version : Golden Age Simulations Ryan ST-A

Spad54
May 31st, 2012, 03:30
No release day just yet. The base model is complete but we're adding the Ranger powered version as well and that is currently in development. I'll get some cockpit pictures posted later today

falcon409
May 31st, 2012, 03:49
Whoa! I want one, lol. . . .beautiful work!!:applause:

Roger
May 31st, 2012, 04:14
Fabulous!

Sascha66
May 31st, 2012, 04:53
... this would be available for FS9 too ...

Always had a weakness for the low-eing monoplanes of that era ... :applause::applause::applause:

sim-paticissimo
May 31st, 2012, 05:24
Aha! Something we need!:applause:

heywooood
May 31st, 2012, 06:21
Beautiful

flaviossa
May 31st, 2012, 06:39
Beautiful work! On my list too.

Bomber_12th
May 31st, 2012, 07:28
Great work, guys!

Spad54
May 31st, 2012, 08:03
... this would be available for FS9 too ...

Always had a weakness for the low-eing monoplanes of that era ... :applause::applause::applause:

Bill Lyons package is still available and out of respect for his work we chose not to develop FS9 versions of any of his past projects, sorry

Lionheart
May 31st, 2012, 08:58
Looking nice!!!!!!

:applause:

rdaniell
May 31st, 2012, 09:24
Is there any real difference between the ST-A and the Ryan YPT-16? Attached is a photo of my radio controlled 80 inch wingspan YPT-16 with a four stroke 120 engine.

RD

Hurricane91
May 31st, 2012, 09:34
Beautiful models RD, thanks for posting.

John

rdaniell
May 31st, 2012, 09:45
Beautiful models RD, thanks for posting. John

You are most welcome John. Radio Controlled flying is another of my passions. I try to get to my club's flying field every Sunday afternoon.

RD

pilottj
May 31st, 2012, 10:06
That is one beautiful plane Paul. :icon29::salute: That STA is on my 'must get' list for sure :mixedsmi:

Sascha66
May 31st, 2012, 10:22
Bill Lyons package is still available and out of respect for his work we chose not to develop FS9 versions of any of his past projects, sorry

I understand perfectly! Bill Lyons Goose still ranks among my favorite planes ... :salute::salute:

MarkH
May 31st, 2012, 11:19
Is there any real difference between the ST-A and the Ryan YPT-16?

I think the only differences were a wider cockpit and a roll bar.

Spad54
May 31st, 2012, 14:59
I think the only differences were a wider cockpit and a roll bar.

Actually the difference albeit subtle were significant. The fuselage strake was externalized, the entire fuselage and formers were redesigned widening the fuselage and the cockpit openings. The ST-M is easily identified by the cockpit opening which flattens after the curve from the windscreen.

MarkH
May 31st, 2012, 22:18
Actually the difference albeit subtle were significant. The fuselage strake was externalized, the entire fuselage and formers were redesigned widening the fuselage and the cockpit openings. The ST-M is easily identified by the cockpit opening which flattens after the curve from the windscreen.

Ah, okay. I thought that came later (PT-20). Of course I'm just working from a bundle of random internet research, not actual knowledge :)

Spad54
June 1st, 2012, 03:52
Ah, okay. I thought that came later (PT-20). Of course I'm just working from a bundle of random internet research, not actual knowledge :)

Actually I misspoke and you are correct. The ST-A and the PT-16 were virtually identical. The changes I described were with the ST-M. Sorry for the mix up.

rdaniell
June 1st, 2012, 05:50
Actually I misspoke and you are correct. The ST-A and the PT-16 were virtually identical. The changes I described were with the ST-M. Sorry for the mix up.

That's cool. A FSX airplane corresponding (almost identical) to one of my radio controlled models. Thank you.

RD

TeiscoDelRay
June 1st, 2012, 06:19
That's cool. A FSX airplane corresponding (almost identical) to one of my radio controlled models. Thank you.

RD

If your a radio control flyer you might remember the Sig Manufacturing Ryan STA Gosney Special because that one is also on our list. I have flown a couple rc versions of that back in the day.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/ryansig.jpg

heywooood
June 1st, 2012, 06:41
If your a radio control flyer you might remember the Sig Manufacturing Ryan STA Gosney Special because that one is also on our list. I have flown a couple rc versions of that back in the day.

YeS I do

rdaniell
June 1st, 2012, 06:41

Yes, that model is on my RealFlight Simulator. And for anyone who might not know what RealFlight is, it is a radio control flight simulator. You fly the airplanes using a RC transmitter. It is a great training tool. If you crash, you just hit the "red" reset button. Not like at the flying field....LOL

RD

TeiscoDelRay
June 4th, 2012, 09:22
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/sta2aa.jpg

rdaniell
June 4th, 2012, 09:40
TeiscoDelRay, That airplane in your last screenshot looks might familar to me. Well, change the 22 to 16...LOL...

RD

TeiscoDelRay
June 6th, 2012, 14:51
Some of you might remember this one

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/ryanstmlyons1024.jpg

TeiscoDelRay
June 9th, 2012, 12:01
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/stm1aa.jpg

heywooood
June 9th, 2012, 19:12
the Gosney Special is the one I am champing for...not to say a float equipped STA isn't appreciated

lol...my FSX wish list is longer than a quantum physics equation

TeiscoDelRay
June 14th, 2012, 06:58
Heywood sent you a pm.

TeiscoDelRay
June 14th, 2012, 06:59
Almost done, just a few details to go.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/g1.jpg

heywooood
June 14th, 2012, 12:55
@TeiscoDelRey- pm replied to

And WOW to your Gosney Special - flat out spectacular!

dvj
June 14th, 2012, 16:13

Ship this thing already! man, that paint is stunning.

heywooood
June 14th, 2012, 17:08
does this help Paul?..it appears to be a graphic representation of Mercury

TeiscoDelRay
June 14th, 2012, 17:24
Thats great, good find. That is the one I was really in doubt about.
Thanks,

heywooood
June 14th, 2012, 17:52
Glad I could help sir

Spad54
June 15th, 2012, 02:34
Ship this thing already! man, that paint is stunning.

The Gosney version is being completely re-modeled so that when its done it will be an accurate representation. That process should be completed this weekend and then out for flight dynamics development. The 6 cylinder Ranger L 440 adds 12 inches to the length of the cowl and the cg will have to be adjusted as well as performance with the constant speed prop. The rest of the package is out for alpha test and we have some refinements to make but all is going according to plan. I'd like to say we'll have this out in a month. We'll keep you posted.

Best
Paul

jetstreamsky
June 15th, 2012, 07:19

Now that's my kind of plane, this paint and accompaning model changes means this is a must buy

TeiscoDelRay
June 15th, 2012, 07:42
I jumped the gun on this a bit guys, the picture shows the old cowl and two cockpits. Paul is doing a new longer cowl with correct exhaust ports and closing the front cockpit for the final version. It will be a true Gosney Ryan STA "Special 200".

I fell in love with this plane long ago when attending the Sig Manufacturing flyin in Montazuma Iowa. Back then Glen and Hazal Sigafoose owned the premier rc model company in the midwest called Sigs. They did everything in house, design, kits, testing, production and sales. They had a small airport with a grass strip outside of town for testing the models and also for flying their full sized planes. Glen and Hazel both flew Pitts Specials and did some areobatics during the yearly rc events they held there.

Max Hester worked at Sig and built a model of the Gosney Ryan Special that he entered in national contest. Sig also made a kit of that plane and it sold very well world wide. I saw the original rc version many times as I lived only an hour or so away from Sig and spent much time there flying rc and getting to know the guys. I have flown many versions of the rc Sig Ryan and they all looked and flew wonderfully.

Time passed and Sig was eventually sold and re-sold but still is putting out models today. Glen Sigafoose was killed flying his Pitts at an airshow many years ago and many of the old crew has left or retired from the company or started their own business in the model community.

As far as the real Gosney Special not much is known. There is very little on the internet and pictures are hard to come by. Wonder if that plane still exist and where it is today. Lucky for us though that Sig had detailed drawings and plans that were exact and very scale for us to keep it alive today in virtual form.

Max Hester with his award winning Sig Ryan and the real Gosney Special 200.

modelr
June 15th, 2012, 07:44
Is there any real difference between the ST-A and the Ryan YPT-16? Attached is a photo of my radio controlled 80 inch wingspan YPT-16 with a four stroke 120 engine.

RD

Nice shot of your R/C Ryan STA-M, RD. Here's a shot of mine, Electric powered, Rimfire 1.20 on 5 cell 5000mah Lipo.

Looking forward to this one.:applause:

rdaniell
June 15th, 2012, 07:58
Nice shot of your R/C Ryan STA-M, RD. Here's a shot of mine, Electric powered, Rimfire 1.20 on 5 cell 5000mah Lipo.
Looking forward to this one.:applause:

That's a good looking model. Being electric, you don't have to clean it before leaving the flying field...LOL.. As an aside and OT for flight sim, when I first got into RC flying, all my models were electric. Now they are all glow engine with one exception. I still enjoy flying my EFlight PT-19.

RD

modelr
June 15th, 2012, 08:04
I jumped the gun on this a bit guys, the picture shows the old cowl and two cockpits. Paul is doing a new longer cowl with correct exhaust ports and closing the front cockpit for the final version. It will be a true Gosney Ryan STA "Special 200".

I fell in love with this plane long ago when attending the Sig Manufacturing flyin in Montazuma Iowa. Back then Glen and Hazal Sigafoose owned the premier rc model company in the midwest called Sigs. They did everything in house, design, kits, testing, production and sales. They had a small airport with a grass strip outside of town for testing the models and also for flying their full sized planes. Glen and Hazel both flew Pitts Specials and did some areobatics during the yearly rc events they held there.

Max Hester worked at Sig and built a model of the Gosney Ryan Special that he entered in national contest. Sig also made a kit of that plane and it sold very well world wide. I saw the original rc version many times as I lived only an hour or so away from Sig and spent much time there flying rc and getting to know the guys. I have flown many versions of the rc Sig Ryan and they all looked and flew wonderfully.

Time passed and Sig was eventually sold and re-sold but still is putting out models today. Glen Sigafoose was killed flying his Pitts at an airshow many years ago and many of the old crew has left or retired from the company or started their own business in the model community.

As far as the real Gosney Special not much is known. There is very little on the internet and pictures are hard to come by. Wonder if that plane still exist and where it is today. Lucky for us though that Sig had detailed drawings and plans that were exact and very scale for us to keep it alive today in virtual form.

Max Hester with his award winning Sig Ryan and the real Gosney Special 200.

TDR, I'm planning on going to the Sig Father's Day Fly-in this year, weather permitting. Will have my Ryan there, along with my Waco YMF-5 and F7F Tigercat.

If you decide to go, maybe we can meet up. Maybe sokotai might be there, also. He's a member of our R/C club in Marshalltown, Iowa, also. He took the picture of my Ryan in flight.

modelr
June 15th, 2012, 08:09
Yes, that model is on my RealFlight Simulator. And for anyone who might not know what RealFlight is, it is a radio control flight simulator. You fly the airplanes using a RC transmitter. It is a great training tool. If you crash, you just hit the "red" reset button. Not like at the flying field....LOL

RD

Yes, I fly mine on the RealFlight sim a lot, also. I have V6, and the dynamics are almost perfect. Was able to convert it to electric in the sim, like my R/C model, and it flies almost identically.

glh
June 15th, 2012, 09:40
rdaniell and/or modelr:

Do either of you have any experience with Banana Hobby? They have a line of "Park Flyer" Electric R/C aircraft that I was thinking of trying. Specifically, the electric SNJ trainer since I have never flown one before.

rdaniell
June 15th, 2012, 09:57
rdaniell and/or modelr:

Do either of you have any experience with Banana Hobby? They have a line of "Park Flyer" Electric R/C aircraft that I was thinking of trying. Specifically, the electric SNJ trainer since I have never flown one before.

GLH, I don't have any experience with Banana Hobby. Do you already have RC flying experience? If not then I would recommend that you not attempt to start with an airplane like the T6/SNJ. Horizon Hobby has several airplanes for beginners. BTW....I had to learn the "hard way" what I'm suggesting to you. Heck! I reasoned that since I was a real world pilot rc flying would be walk in the park. Several hundreds of dollars later and 4 completely "totalled" airplanes, I learned the error of my ways...

I went back to either Park Zone's or Hobby Zone's (can't remember which) electric Super Cub. Once I got the hang of flying it, I moved up to Park Zone's T-28 which has full three axis control. I then moved to bigger airplanes with glow engines.

RD

modelr
June 15th, 2012, 10:26
rdaniell and/or modelr:

GLH, speaking as a longtime R/Cer and one of our club instructors with 30years experience, I have to go with what RD says about the SNJ, if you don't have any R/C experience. R/C is learned the same way as full size, start in a basic trainer, and move to more advanced, one step at a time. The SNJ WAS NOT a basic trainer, it was an ADVANCED trainer. The Ryan was a basic trainer. In R/C, since you don't have "seat of the pants" nor "cockpit orientation" available, you want a simple, high wing, self righting model to learn on, especially if you don't have an R/C experienced friend or local club to help you. His suggestion on the Parkzone Supercub is very good. It's all foam, not fast, and very forgiving. It's also slow enough that unintended attempts at digging holes in the grass don't do much damage, either to the plane, or the grass, lol. It's inexpensive, avqilable with it's own transmitter, battery and charger, and at least two old timers, one a real life pilot, pretty much taught themselves to fly well enough to move to the next, more advanced model.

If you don't have one of the many available R/C simulation sims for your computer, try doing a couple flights entirely from tower view in FS. It gives you an idea of the orientation problems that must be learned.

My Ryan, which is the same one RD has, made by Great Planes, flies like a trainer, while being fully aerobatic. I have let a couple young spectators fly mine using a "buddy cord" (hooking two transmitters together,) and they have been able to handle it well, with help.

A link to the Super Cub http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-dsm-rtf-HBZ7400

glh
June 15th, 2012, 12:15
rdaniell and modelr: Thanks very much for your response. I have NO experience with this hobby. I thought that perhaps I would like to try the electric route (really have no interest with the liquid fuel types) if I could find a suitable trainer. I'll investigate further on your suggestions andd try to locate a local R/C club in my area.

rdaniell
June 15th, 2012, 12:58
rdaniell and modelr: Thanks very much for your response. I have NO experience with this hobby. I thought that perhaps I would like to try the electric route (really have no interest with the liquid fuel types) if I could find a suitable trainer. I'll investigate further on your suggestions andd try to locate a local R/C club in my area.

I highly recommend finding a local RC club. Most members really like helping newcomers to the hobby.

RD

modelr
June 16th, 2012, 04:23
TDR, I'm planning on going to the Sig Father's Day Fly-in this year, weather permitting. Will have my Ryan there, along with my Waco YMF-5 and F7F Tigercat.

If you decide to go, maybe we can meet up. Maybe sokotai might be there, also. He's a member of our R/C club in Marshalltown, Iowa, also. He took the picture of my Ryan in flight.

Well darn. I just checked the Sig website, and the ANNUAL Sig FATHER'S DAY Fly-In was held LAST weekend, BEFORE Father's Day. I haven't been to it for a couple years, and hadn't checked. My loss.:costum:

Maybe next year.

OleBoy
June 16th, 2012, 06:28
The memories of R/C flight. Great fun!! I remember my first model. The Aerostar 40 with an OS 40 2-stroke engine. I went from watching to flying in 3 days. Yes, I had the model completely finished and ready to fly in just three days. Was I excited!!! I remember the first flight well. After the normal rubber banding of the wing, fueling, radio checks and run-up, out of the pits I went. I set my model on the ground at the end of the runway and stepped in front of the tail feathers wedging the craft there for a last full throttle test. All was good. I stepped to the rear of the ole Aerostar and gave her throttle. As it went down the field gaining speed, I got an adrenaline rush that I never experienced before.
I was so excited that people in the pit were waiting for the transmitters antenna to snap. LOL!! Up in the air it went. The dihedral of the wing (once in the air) was doing as it said. All levels of flight were really stable and self righting. It's not a fancy model, but it served it's purpose to get me in the air as comfortably as possible as I learned the actions of the control surfaces. Back then, flying towards myself was the most confusing. All the movements relative to the radio and aircraft were reversed. A little confusing, but I soon came comfortable and was tearing up the sky as I buzzed our flying area. From that day forward I was addicted. And I'm not embarrassed to say, my transmitter antenna (last I flew) STILL shakes just as profusely as my very first flight!! LOL. I haven't snapped one yet though.

I haven't touched any of my stuff in 10 years. And I have quite the collection.

Spad54
June 17th, 2012, 13:48
The Gosney version is being completely re-modeled so that when its done it will be an accurate representation. That process should be completed this weekend and then out for flight dynamics development. The 6 cylinder Ranger L 440 adds 12 inches to the length of the cowl and the cg will have to be adjusted as well as performance with the constant speed prop. The rest of the package is out for alpha test and we have some refinements to make but all is going according to plan. I'd like to say we'll have this out in a month. We'll keep you posted.

Best
Paul
Finished the conversion today. Still needs flight dynamics and testing after that. Not quite ready for prime time

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Spad54/gosney.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/Spad54/gosney1.jpg

modelr
June 17th, 2012, 17:28
Oh, that is purty!!

Awaiting this one very impatiently.:jump::jump::sheep:

heywooood
June 17th, 2012, 18:33
The STA is a beauty in any configuration - but this one looks especially sleek

heywooood
June 19th, 2012, 16:42
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2454255/anchors_2962720/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#2962720

the above link has many great photo's of the Gosney Special within

TeiscoDelRay
June 21st, 2012, 13:34
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/rfloat.jpg

full
June 21st, 2012, 13:57
Beautiful !! my card is ready :)

TeiscoDelRay
June 25th, 2012, 09:41
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/Warbirds_photos/r1rwsmall.jpg