PDA

View Full Version : It was 1977...DUST IN THE WIND!

beana51
May 30th, 2012, 06:41
http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/beana51/220px-Kansas-dust-in-the-wind.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wp4O7v5320

Remember what you like!....This may help!

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind
Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground, though we refuse to see

Dust in the wind, All we are is dust in the wind

Don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind, All we are is dust in the wind

<tbody>

</tbody>

Cthulhu
May 30th, 2012, 08:32
Great tune. They don't make 'em like that anymore! I will take this over Nicki Minaj or Maroon 5 any day.

T Square
May 30th, 2012, 08:52
Great tune. They don't make 'em like that anymore! I will take this over Nicki Minaj or Maroon 5 any day.

Amen to that, but you left out "Lady Gaga" she makes me "GAG GAG" :barf:

What happened to the days when it helped to have some "Musical Ability". Like Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Clapton or B.B King, (showing my age). One good thing is the music I listen to is now in the cheap bins at "Half Price Books".

huub vink
May 30th, 2012, 09:28
This music reminds me to those days when life was still uncomplicated. Summers seemed to be endless and I was sure it would remain like that for the rest of my life.

Thanks for bringing back the memories to that beautiful period in my life.

Huub

Lawman
May 30th, 2012, 11:35
Amen to that, but you left out "Lady Gaga" she makes me "GAG GAG" :barf:

What happened to the days when it helped to have some "Musical Ability". Like Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Clapton or B.B King, (showing my age). One good thing is the music I listen to is now in the cheap bins at "Half Price Books".

I guess every generation complains about the music their kids listen to. I'm sure your grandparents had the same reaction when your parents started listening to Elvis and the like, just as your parents in turn did when you started listening to all that "long-haired hippie stuff":running:. I have found that every generation produces at least some good music. Since we're a bunch of grumpy old men throwing lyrics around:icon_lol:, I'm reminded of this song:

Think I'm going down to the well tonight
And I'm gonna drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
But I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of
Well, but time slips away and leaves you with nothing, mister
But boring stories of glory days

cheezyflier
May 30th, 2012, 14:28
leftoverture was the first album i ever bought. at the same time, i also bought paranoid, and are you experienced.

Gdavis101
May 30th, 2012, 16:51
Just bought that album for my MP3 player! Kansas that is.

Tom Clayton
May 30th, 2012, 19:55
Most of what passes for "music" these days is just someone using AutoTune to form notes and some PC programmer making a synth box spit out MIDI-controlled noise. The techs I work with during the day listen to a station that features this stuff. One piece that I hear at least three times every shift sounds like somebody heard Rick James, got hooked on the word "Superfreak," and decided to find a way to repeat it fifty-eleven times on tape - with the same three notes repeating over and over and over again.

One modern band that I've recently discovered is Halestorm. Fronted by Lzzy Hale (a real singer - not some skinny dancer with a so-so voice), this band absolutely rocks! To hear the pure voice, check out "Familiar Tase of Poison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHZKPYQnsmc)," and to hear the pure metal, check out just about anything else!

OBIO
May 30th, 2012, 20:49
The greatest line of music ever written:

Fat bottom girls make the rockin' world go round!

Yeah...that's music and truth rolled into one.

OBIO

Dain Arns
May 30th, 2012, 21:19
Yeah, I promise not to go off on a rant, like I did on 'Red Tails'.
Needless to say, 'Autotune' is the debil's music. :icon_lol:

And, I like 'Kansas'. That's all. ;)

Cees Donker
May 30th, 2012, 22:01
My daughter showed me a vid on youtube with Gaga doing some acoustic piano playing and singing, without a band. I had to admit it was way better than I expected and I was impressed by her musicianship. I always remember the first time I bought a CD by Joe Satriani. At first I was dissapointed, it was not my kind of music. After some time I started to appreciate it and it opened a complete new genre to me. From that time on I always try to keep an open mind. Recently my daughter came with Halestorm. I'm with Tom there. There will always be good musicians, it's just a matter of taste. There are better musicians I don't like to listen to, and lesser musicians I really like. But remember: All we are is dust in the wind. :kilroy:

Cees

T Square
May 30th, 2012, 22:09
I guess every generation complains about the music their kids listen to. I'm sure your grandparents had the same reaction when your parents started listening to Elvis and the like, just as your parents in turn did when you started listening to all that "long-haired hippie stuff":running:. I have found that every generation produces at least some good music. Since we're a bunch of grumpy old men throwing lyrics around:icon_lol:, I'm reminded of this song:

Think I'm going down to the well tonight
And I'm gonna drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
But I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture a little of the glory of
Well, but time slips away and leaves you with nothing, mister
But boring stories of glory days

Lawman I guess you're right, can remember the first rock album in the house (I have one brother and five sisters) was Beatles "Sgt Peper", Mom and Dad thought it was disgusting. I have no idea what they must have thought of my "Yes" Album, shortly after that I discovered "Hendrix". That' when the "Old Man" came home with a gift for Him and Mom to me Headphones, and once again Andy Williams reigned supreme in the Thompson household. Now I mostly listen to Blues, Albert King, B.B. King, Jon Lee Hooker, Big Bill Broonzy, I could go on and on.

Naismith
May 30th, 2012, 23:27
How 'bout this guy I just discovered through listening to some Hot Tuna
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPlkHXM5MM
Roy Book Binder
Who says blue men can't play the whites. lol

beana51
May 31st, 2012, 06:53
It was August 1969, I was 37 yrs old then,Four kids,running a Farm,in Bethel N.Y...Rural,Beautiful Country...One morning my barn,Fields were filled with kids...long hair,colored clothes,laying all over the place,most engaged in extra curricular activity,and a strange smell in they air.I was located about 4miles from Yasgurs farm.little did I KNOW A WORLD EVENT WAS HAPPENING!/...An alien invasion was occurring...my wife shielded the kids from this,like it was the Plague..Then like the good women she is,handed out Peanut butter ,Jelly sandwiches,and Fresh cold milk...needless to say the INVADERS gobbled it up...my first introduction to DA NEW MUSIC FIRST HAND...and I found it repulsive...It was contra to every thing I grew up with .......1969 was a Special year,Woodstock,Charlie Manson ,and almost forgotten...A Man on the moon....Seems no body ,well most ,do not renumber Neil Armstrong...but that HENDRIX DUDE???...WOW!

For years the Survivors would come back to Max Yasgers farm...a bit older now,pot belly's,balding greying pony tails,with women in tow,now Plumper! tie Down Colored rag clothes,and often with a kid,begotten on that very field,..they would stand and stare at their youth of the past,,with misty eye,reviewing the scene of the crime...lite up a Joint and away the go..

Now that Beautiful Alphafia Field house a first rate facility...Staging,concerts, and is still going strong..they come like pilgrims from all over the world!...for many a "RELIGIOUS" experance!...Unbelievable!..it was the WORLD UPSIDE !DOWN!!

But we,The LOCALS,HATED the thing,The People,The music,the Dope,and the Garbage..........My kids insulated from that culture are now all Professional66510
people,untainted by the 60s and the turbulent 70s...

Now we all have our opeions ,tastes,likes and dislikes..And I respect that!,..but Glenn Miller it was not..nor was it frank Sinatra,certainly not Nat King Cole....but like I say.."SAUSAGE HIS OWN"......Cheers..Vin!!..Peace and love!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n92ATE3IgIs&feature=related

pilottj
May 31st, 2012, 12:01
There are glimmers of hope, especially for this blues fan's perspective. Yes it is very sad that the old legends are slowly dying off. It is sad that the younger talent who we thought would carry the torch had died too young. However there is still youth and talent in the blues. It may not be as flashy or comercialized as pop or 'modern' country, but that is a good thing. I would hate to see somthing that is a rich, deep, powerful, and historical artform be treated like modern day 'flash in the pan' comercialized pop music.

There is hope, there are young musicians who are playing the blues and keeping it alive, playing on small independent labels. Some musicians have just a webcam and a youtube account, but there is definite talent, not just in blues but in lots of music forms.

Here is Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa doing Sinner's Prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-3hehWMfoY

cheezyflier
May 31st, 2012, 12:28
Most of what passes for "music" these days is just someone using AutoTune to form notes and some PC programmer making a synth box spit out MIDI-controlled noise. The techs I work with during the day listen to a station that features this stuff. One piece that I hear at least three times every shift sounds like somebody heard Rick James, got hooked on the word "Superfreak," and decided to find a way to repeat it fifty-eleven times on tape - with the same three notes repeating over and over and over again.

One modern band that I've recently discovered is Halestorm. Fronted by Lzzy Hale (a real singer - not some skinny dancer with a so-so voice), this band absolutely rocks! To hear the pure voice, check out "Familiar Tase of Poison (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHZKPYQnsmc)," and to hear the pure metal, check out just about anything else!

if you like halestorm, you may also like some of the following:

mustasch
mos generator
year long disaster
the sword
clutch
drain sth (the women in that band are actually hotter than lizzy hale)
monster magnet
sasquatch
gov't mule
corrosion of conformity.

none of these bands are new, but all of them rock.
oh, and one other thing. lizzy is a pretty darn good guitarist. she may be stuck in 1982, but so am i, so i ain't complaining. they're from york pa. not far from where i grew up in wilmington.

stiz
May 31st, 2012, 14:43

they do, you just have to avoid the "pop"ular radio stations and "music" charts and listen to the rock stuff :wavey:

Allthough to be fair .. some of the pop stuff isnt all that bad :monkies:

Tom Clayton
June 1st, 2012, 12:45
There are glimmers of hope, especially for this blues fan's perspective. Yes it is very sad that the old legends are slowly dying off. It is sad that the younger talent who we thought would carry the torch had died too young. However there is still youth and talent in the blues. It may not be as flashy or comercialized as pop or 'modern' country, but that is a good thing. I would hate to see somthing that is a rich, deep, powerful, and historical artform be treated like modern day 'flash in the pan' comercialized pop music.

There is hope, there are young musicians who are playing the blues and keeping it alive, playing on small independent labels. Some musicians have just a webcam and a youtube account, but there is definite talent, not just in blues but in lots of music forms.

Especially with the passing of Doc Watson this past Tuesday.

Bushpounder
June 2nd, 2012, 12:15
I saw Kansas at the Hollywood Sportatorium in 1977. HA! I pretty much was dust in the wind at that one! :)

Don

Pauke! Pauke!
June 3rd, 2012, 14:56
Hey beana51:

1977 was a great year for music. It was during the height of the popular FM Radio AOR format (Album Oriented Rock) and "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas is an excellant example. I was listening to a lot of FM radio in Los Angeles at the time, KMET and KLOS mostly. Many a Saturday night spent with friends and a big jug of cheap California wine, watching somebody roll up fat doobie so we could all get baked and listen to the Dr. Demento show when it came on.

pilottj
June 5th, 2012, 10:41
I think Pink Floyd's 'Welcome to the Machine' kind of summed it up :icon29:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foCzlvXKWTA

Lyrics:
Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Where have you been?
It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
Provided with toys and 'Scouting for Boys'.
You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
And you didn't like school, and you
know you're nobody's fool,
So welcome to the machine.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
What did you dream?
It's alright we told you what to dream.
You dreamed of a big star,
He played a mean guitar,
He always ate in the Steak Bar.
He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
So welcome to the Machine.