PDA

View Full Version : 1225AM SSI weather

SSI01
May 27th, 2012, 20:28
Getting pretty good surf here - spray flying about 20 feet above the rocks on the beach - we live around 60 feet from the Atlantic, the rest of the clan is about 30 feet from it - I'm guessing at around 45-50 MPH gusts, 30-35 MPH sustained - solid overcast with low, fast-flying scud. Rain is falling vertically, and we're just starting to get it.

Willy
May 27th, 2012, 22:33
Hope you come through it alright. I've got in laws vacationing at Hilton Head Island this week.

SSI01
May 28th, 2012, 04:54
Thank you sir!

So far wind seems to have moderated, enough to move the tree branches around some on a continuous basis. Rain comes and goes in bands. Solid overcast with winds out of the NE. We have beach grass all over the upper portions of the beach below the house, as expected - but it's also in the street behind the house, showing you how high the water got in the street. There is a seawall about 100 feet or so to the south of us, where the beachfront takes a little jog - there is a series of concrete highway barriers there, fronted by large rocks. When a good sea gets going, like now, it will climb over the rocks and seawall via spray, and take anything in the water with it - I saw a 2X4 on the road behind the house. Big danger around here right now is flying FOD, so far all I've seen is the occasional palm frond or fairly small branch. Barring unforeseen events I think we've weathered this one all right.

Willy
May 28th, 2012, 10:26
I was in Charleston for Hugo and don't envy anyone over these storms.

cheezyflier
May 28th, 2012, 12:19
I'm guessing at around 45-50 MPH gusts, 30-35 MPH sustained - Rain is falling vertically, and we're just starting to get it.

huh? is the rain made of lead down there? :icon_lol:

SSI01
May 28th, 2012, 15:33
The way it was falling with that wind, it felt like lead shot.:isadizzy: