PDA

View Full Version : Opinion wanted on running FSX

SgtT
May 23rd, 2012, 18:50
All I got a new PC (well new to me) it's a HP DC5800 SFF. It's an Intel core Duo 3.0ghz CPU with 4 gigs (upgradeable to 8 gigs) of Ram and an ATI HD2400 256mb video card. I have Vista Home Premium. Is enough to give FSX a try?

Thanks,

T.

falcon409
May 23rd, 2012, 19:05
The only questionable part might be the Graphics Card. 256meg of RAM might put it right on the edge of being able to run the sim. The CPU and RAM are what I have with just a Dual Core setup and I do very well. You'll get many opinions yet so I'll just say that out of the entire setup, the GPU seems to be the weak link.

Naki
May 23rd, 2012, 19:10
My PC would be roughly similar in specs and I did use a 256mb card but it was very marginal for FSX to say the least. I have since upgraded to a 1GB card and it's now quite reasonable - not outstanding though by any stretch. I tend to fly simple aircaft (ie not tubeliners) in VFR conditions into detailed scenery (Orbx) - works fine for that.

SgtT
May 24th, 2012, 01:24
Thanks guys, I'll look around for another card that will work. I was also thinking about bumping up the ram.

T.

stansdds
May 24th, 2012, 02:52
4 GB of RAM is likely sufficient as FSX is a 32 bit program and cannot take advantage of any more than 4 GB. Also, if you are using a 32 bit operating system you cannot use more than 4 GB of RAM. There may be an advantage to using 6 or 8 GB of RAM with a 64 bit OS. The operating system also considers the RAM on the video card and the cache on the CPU to be a part of the RAM it recognizes, so with a 32 bit OS, 4 GB of system RAM, and a 2 GB video card your OS would only address 2 GB of your system RAM minus the amount on the CPU.

I agree, the video card is weak for FSX. The CPU is ok, but you will not be able to turn the graphics sliders in FSX beyond the medium points. Back when I had a Core2Duo 3.0 GHz CPU I found that overclocking the CPU to 3.6 GHz significantly improved frame rates and smoothness to the point I could move the sliders to about 75% of maximum. I did use an aftermarket CPU cooler for over clocking, stock coolers typically do not have the cooling capacity to dissipate the additional heat.

JIMJAM
May 24th, 2012, 07:32
You are borderline and need to use all available tricks of the trade. I am running a 2.8 ghz I7 with 6 gigs ram but a 5870 1 gig card and Vista 64. Being right on that edge its important to have a healthy hard drive. Defrag it, have plenty of space open for virtual memory, me 4 gigs minimum. Also close all background progs that are not needed. I use ENDITALL"freeware" to do a basic closure of those I am sure are not needed. Temp disable antivirus ect.....
Then look into this http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html

I ran this and it got me a much needed boost in my all around performance. Basically its a tweak tool for dummies.

Using all of the above and in game and card setting tweaking on my own, I have stretched out my computer longer than any other I have ever owned. And I run about every know payware addon known to man.

heywooood
May 24th, 2012, 07:48
Thanks guys, I'll look around for another card that will work. I was also thinking about bumping up the ram.

T.

save the money when it comes to the RAM...your good enough there

spend it on the card...1Gig is the min. GPU ram needed -

primary concern with FSX is the speed of your processor, so buy what you can afford and then tweak the fsx.cfg to the bejeebers and gone

SgtT
May 25th, 2012, 01:33
Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's feedback. Maybe I'll wait until I can get a better video card. One issue is since the PC is a small form factor it would have to be a low profile card. The other issue is the power supply is only 240 watts.

I don't think a standard power supply will fit in the HP DC5800 SFF.

T.

hey_moe
May 25th, 2012, 02:56
Most higher end video cards require a separate PS going to the card. Looking at the PS you have may cause some problems. Also I don't think you MB will be able to handle it either. You might want to go into MSCONFIG and disable everything, reboot Windows and it will only load what it needs to run the operation system. You will know from there if FSX will work right on your system. Good luck...Mike

stansdds
May 25th, 2012, 03:26
Thanks guys, I appreciate everyone's feedback. Maybe I'll wait until I can get a better video card. One issue is since the PC is a small form factor it would have to be a low profile card. The other issue is the power supply is only 240 watts.

I don't think a standard power supply will fit in the HP DC5800 SFF.

T.

Yikes!!! a 240 watt PSU is not going to run a high end video card, at least not for long. Custom form factors are another issue and a reason I would not have a Gateway, HP, E-machine, etc. for a custom gaming/sim rig.

Naismith
May 25th, 2012, 11:42
I'm amazed that we still have people wondering about performance of FSX, it's almost 6 years since its release. How many other PC "games" of this age still raise questions and enthusiasm, most are forgotten relics consigned to the dusty shelf. BTW I'm not criticising the OP just revelling in our chosen hobby. :applause:

PHo17
May 26th, 2012, 07:30
I think that Microsoft looked for the future almost with every Flight Simulator version. With FSX it "did bet the wrong horse" imaging that the processor speed would soon go over the 4 GHz barrier. It didn't but turned for the "multicore course". Service packs tried to correct the situation, but the real solution to the problem never game out (FS11) when MS kicked the devoloping team out. I don't know, but this is my guess.

Pekka