PDA

View Full Version : Fatal error !!!

italoc
May 23rd, 2012, 04:57
Hi
strange inconvenient: all of a sudden when I try to "save" or "load" a flight that horrible message "FATAL ERROR" appears, then blank screen and Prepar3D restarts !!!!!
Any suggestions before re-installing ??
Italo

luckydog
May 23rd, 2012, 05:30
Hi
strange inconvenient: all of a sudden when I try to "save" or "load" a flight that horrible message "FATAL ERROR" appears, then blank screen and Prepar3D restarts !!!!!
Any suggestions before re-installing ??
Italo

Hi Italo..........

This has happened to me many times and appears to be the result of bad "add-ons". Deleting the suspected add-on doesn't seem to help.
I just re-install and stay away from the suspected add-on mission or aircraft.

LD

kjb
May 23rd, 2012, 06:01
Are you running P3D as an administrator?

luckydog
May 23rd, 2012, 06:41
Are you running P3D as an administrator?

That only works with scenery library "fatal errors"...........

ZEUS67
May 23rd, 2012, 07:40
My advice is to go to the P3D support forums and detail your problem, including all add-ons that you have installed, when and how you get the fatal error and any other information that you may feel it is necessary.

I am sure that they will help you find an answer.

Lionheart
May 23rd, 2012, 10:11
Sorry to hear this Italo.

I think I have seen your posts on this over at P3D as well.

My rig was running Prepar3D fine until I used the Migration Tool from ORBX. Now I get constant 'out of memory' crashes, so I know its ORBX and if I dont want to deal with it, I'll just have to switch of PNW which restores it. I tested this theory and flew a very long flight with no crashes.

FSX now does this also, and has never done this ever before, and the only thing changed was the addition of ORBX, which means its too hard on my rig.

But..... This usually never happens in a save or load. I have had times when I leave for a 'screen' such as Map, and the system stutters... then crash. I have heard this called the 'menu crash bug'. I wonder if that is what you are getting? My other crashes are 'out of memory' crashes.

Bill

italoc
May 24th, 2012, 05:27
Hi Italo..........

This has happened to me many times and appears to be the result of bad "add-ons". Deleting the suspected add-on doesn't seem to help.
I just re-install and stay away from the suspected add-on mission or aircraft.

LD

Right !!!
Thanks to everybody's suggestions.
I've taken out few of the late installed A/C from FSX (don't know exactly which one of them is the culprit: as a matter of fact all of them working perfectly in FSX Accel and did not cause any other problem in Prepar3D) and now I'm back to normal :applause:
So, the logical lesson to be learned is: pay attention to everything which is not "native" Prepar3D !!!!
Don't take for granted that whatever works well in FSX is transferable to Prepar3D whithout problems !!!
And now back to enjoy our new sim from Lockheed Martin :salute:

Italo

Lionheart
May 24th, 2012, 14:23
Glad its back to normal.

If I were you, try installing one plane at a time that you took out and wait for a crash. Once you find its running great, install the next. Then you'll find the one that was crashing P3. You can at least tell the author then that his plane is crashing P3.

I wonder if its Accusim. P3D have changed the code of SimConnect, so that could be what is doing this.

Bill

luckydog
May 24th, 2012, 17:16
Glad its back to normal.

If I were you, try installing one plane at a time that you took out and wait for a crash. Once you find its running great, install the next. Then you'll find the one that was crashing P3. You can at least tell the author then that his plane is crashing P3.

I wonder if its Accusim. P3D have changed the code of SimConnect, so that could be what is doing this.

Bill

Yep, Bill...... that's the only way to know which file for sure. Load 'em one at a time and then crank up P3D and check it out. And its not just aircraft........my most recent "Load/Save Fatal Error" occurred after loading a "Lonesome Lake" (New Hampshire) mission by David Crandall. Maybe we should have a section listing "Dangerous Files" !!?

LD

Lionheart
May 24th, 2012, 20:43
Yep, Bill...... that's the only way to know which file for sure. Load 'em one at a time and then crank up P3D and check it out. And its not just aircraft........my most recent "Load/Save Fatal Error" occurred after loading a "Lonesome Lake" (New Hampshire) mission by David Crandall. Maybe we should have a section listing "Dangerous Files" !!?

LD

I agree.

A good idea.

italoc
May 25th, 2012, 05:11
Glad its back to normal.

Bill

Yes, Bill, agree 100%
I'll do that and eventually write here about the "culprit" !!:salute:
This lesson learned (one more of many lessons I've received in the past) :running:
Italo

italoc
May 25th, 2012, 11:13
So, looks like the A/C Prepar3D does not like at all is the Classic Hangar Bf108 Taifun (which instead I enjoyed very much in FSX)
Let's hope the guys at Classic Hangar (if participating to this Forum) will look at this matter and come out with a patch making the 108 Prepar3D compatible

Italo

luckydog
May 25th, 2012, 14:59
Here's another one: FSX Northeast Airline Volpar (1958 Livery)

luckydog
June 17th, 2012, 16:41
Found another plane that screwed my P3D up......(same "vertical boat wakes in the sky").

Its the FSX Northeast CRJ-700 (necrj70x.zip). I wonder what's in these Northeast plane files that causes this ??

Lionheart
June 17th, 2012, 17:33
Taking the plane out cures this?

How odd...

luckydog
June 17th, 2012, 19:27
Taking the plane out cures this?

How odd...

No, Bill, taking the plane out WILL NOT cure the problem. Only a re-install will work ( which I'm not gonna do until I've completed my Amelia flight ) I just deleted the boat wakes in Effects
...................no great loss.

LD

Dave Torkington
June 18th, 2012, 01:40
Hi Luckydog,

I tried to replicate your problem and found the source. Can I just say - take great care with installers!!!!

Unless 'auto' installers are from a very very trusted source [no insult meant to the makers of the Northeast], then it's always best to 'point' the installer at a temporary folder and check out the folders / files that the installer wants to add or REPLACE.

The Northeast CRJ-700 installer contains 1,365 Effects files [obviously the whole contents of the person who made the installer's FSX\Effects folder] and 252 sound files [again the contents of the makers FSX\Sound folder].

So, if you used the Northeast installer [and you know what's coming eh...] your Prepar3D Effects and Sound folders now contain the above files...

Sorry for the bad news, but there's an important lesson for all of us here:

Never use 'auto' installers unless you trust them [like Bills beautiful Aerospool Dynamic for example]. Always always point the installer to a temporary folder and check out the contents.

Dave :salute:

Lionheart
June 18th, 2012, 06:13
Well said.

And dont use uninstallers as well. Manually pick the files out, as some files are usually used by other sims, such as soundgauge.DLL, etc.

Goodness.... That is a TON of special effects and sounds.....!!!!

n4gix
June 18th, 2012, 07:17
Goodness.... That is a TON of special effects and sounds.....!!!!

Yeah, and the truly sad part is most likely only one or two .fx files might be new and unique to that addon, and probably none of the .wav files!

luckydog
June 18th, 2012, 08:36
AHA !!! The evil installer !!! Thanks Dave, I owe you a few..........:icon29::icon29::icon29:

LD

Dave Torkington
June 18th, 2012, 08:49
AHA !!! The evil installer !!! Thanks Dave, I owe you a few..........:icon29::icon29::icon29:

LD

You're welcome RD,

A nice cool glass of Crabbies Ginger Beer [my favourite tipple at the mo.] will do just fine!

Dave :salute: