PDA

View Full Version : First-time joystick user: A Question

wsmwsm
December 27th, 2008, 06:27
I just obtained a joystick (Saitek X52 Flight Control system with throttle) after using the keyboard for years. Never used one before.

Everything works fine. One query: How do you change the various buttons, trigger sand knobs to correspond to selected CFS3 controls? Some are pre-set - like the MG trigger, ordinance selector and ordinance release. But there are also, for example, a trigger and button for flap extension/retraction which could be better used for other control functions, especially so in OFF where the aircraft are distinctly different.

Any help would be great.

Frosty
December 27th, 2008, 07:31
Doesn't your stick come with programming software?
Normally you install the software and assign the various keystrokes to the buttons etc. on your stick. After that you have to configure CFS3 to assign those keystrokes to the game functions of your choice through the game's control assignments menu.

Eg. you program keypress SHIFT A to button X on your stick with the stick's programming software. This means that if you press button X, your PC 'thinks' you are pressing SHIFT A. Now you have to assign a function to SHIFT A in CFS3. Open the command assignments and select the action you would like to be performed when you press SHIFT A. Save the configuration file and that's it.

The fun thing with programmable sticks is that the assigned keypresses also work outside a game environment. So you could use the buttons on your stick in other programs as well...

Lightman
December 27th, 2008, 07:46
I just obtained a joystick (Saitek X52 Flight Control system with throttle) after using the keyboard for years. Never used one before.

Everything works fine. One query: How do you change the various buttons, trigger sand knobs to correspond to selected CFS3 controls? Some are pre-set - like the MG trigger, ordinance selector and ordinance release. But there are also, for example, a trigger and button for flap extension/retraction which could be better used for other control functions, especially so in OFF where the aircraft are distinctly different.

Any help would be great.

There are two ways you can do this

You can add assignments to different keys in the control options,
Fire up CFS, click on the options tab (upper right hand corner of your screen) then click on control options to set up keys to your liking

Or you can use the saitek programing software to do the same thing
using the profiler , Is the one i prefer

noelberrier
December 27th, 2008, 10:02
If you want, you can have a look to my saitek X52 and CFS3 config. Sadly, all comments are in french ...
To use the saitek profile, copy it in Program Files/Saitek/Software/ and select it with the icon in the toolbar.
To use CFS3 profile, copy it in Documents and Settings/<your name>/Application Data/Microsoft/Combat Flight Simulator 3.0/ and select it in the game menu panel.

Hope it helps.

CFS 3 profile :
http://downinflames.free.fr/tmp/saitek.xca

Saitek profile :
http://downinflames.free.fr/tmp/cfs3.dat
http://downinflames.free.fr/tmp/cfs3.pr0

OldCrow
December 27th, 2008, 10:18
THat control system has a lot of dials and sliders...which are called "Axis" on top of the million buttons. You can set those to adjust trim(Elevator Trim) also.

I bought that stick and was overwhelled and returned it for a much more basic stick. I wish I'd kept it because I didn't realize you could asign all those Axis to things also.

wsmwsm
December 28th, 2008, 04:07
Thanks for all your help. I understand the mechanisim now. Unfortunately it wasn't obvious to a novice.

However, I've run into a problem. Whenever I start up the Saitek SST Programming function, I receive a message "Profile Editor has stopped working. . ." and I am forced to close the program. Thus far, I cannot find a solution.

Has anyone experiened this with an X52?

WV-903
December 28th, 2008, 05:51
Thanks for all your help. I understand the mechanisim now. Unfortunately it wasn't obvious to a novice.

However, I've run into a problem. Whenever I start up the Saitek SST Programming function, I receive a message "Profile Editor has stopped working. . ." and I am forced to close the program. Thus far, I cannot find a solution.

Has anyone experiened this with an X52?

:mixedsmi:

Hi there wsmx2, ( Anything to do with the Grand Ole Opry --LOL),

Just like to concur with Lightman ( Hi Light :isadizzy: ) and Old Crow on their findings and add some of my own.

I have a recent new X-52 Pro-Stick and throttle Assy. After installing it all, I had terrible Game problems and all sorts of mal-functions. Lost on idea's,--- that great and now very sadly-Late flyer, DOS Ghost alias Writer 301-Cole )came to my aid on T/S and e-Mail.

He got me to install the very latest Saitek Drivers from their Web-Site. Did that, re-programmed stick and for a few games it was OK, then same problems again. Cole then told me to delete all Saitek drivers from Computer and go into CFS3 and re- program stick and throttle that way, ( As Lightman outlines ). This I did and after a period of re-setting and re-programming to get all buttons and switches sorted and adjusted to suit me, ------viola !!-- A new ,superb stick emerged. Must admit, It took me time to get used to re-positioning but now everything works OK and I'm even shooting folks down again on-Line.

And thanks too to Old Crow, I've just this moment realized what "Axis" means in CFS3 context. This means I can now re-programme in my 3 "Whizz" Wheels and slider on Throttle that I could not do before. --Yippeee !!!!!.

A difficult stick to master initially, but great once you "Crack" it, hang in there WSmx2. Be happy to let you know how I have my X-52 buttons and all set-up, Via PM or e-mail.

Best of luck and keep us all informed on your progress.

Bill T.:applause::ernae:

one-eye
December 28th, 2008, 06:20
I don't want to high-jack this thread but this seems related. Has anyone with an X52 had problems keeping it in calibration ,and is there a fix?

wsmwsm
December 28th, 2008, 08:42
This seems to be a common issue with the Saitek X52 and Vista. There's a 12-page thread on this at the Saitek forum site which suggests there is a solution, but it is rather confusing (and there's no specific downloadable fix from Saitek. Go figure.)

I'm still combing through all of this.

WV-903
December 28th, 2008, 09:01
This seems to be a common issue with the Saitek X52 and Vista. There's a 12-page thread on this at the Saitek forum site which suggests there is a solution, but it is rather confusing (and there's no specific downloadable fix from Saitek. Go figure.)

I'm still combing through all of this.

I'm running a Windows XP Computer, 4 yrs old. --- Try the CFS3 method wsm x2, It's quite easy to set-up, at least you can get flying whilst Saitek sort themselves out.

Bill T.

JoeDunlap
December 28th, 2008, 13:19
I would agree with Bill and Lightman. The simplest way is to program through CFS3 Control Options. Its easy to do, the most difficult part is deciding what buttons to use for what control. You may have a look at my settings for a baseline also if you wish. Just let me know.

Joe Dunlap

JoeDunlap
December 28th, 2008, 13:24
One-eye, I havent had any recurring problems with stick calibration, but have noticed a tendency for the stick to unplug itself from its cable under high G forces, (yanking and banking too hard), LOL. Had to duct tape mine in. It would loosen just enough to lose contact but not fall out.

LeMay

wsmwsm
December 28th, 2008, 15:04
I understand the general principle behind changing the CFS3 control options. But I am missing something. How do I know which keyboard combinations line up with the buttons, triggers, etc. on the control stick? I can easily exchange one keyboard (or key combination) for another, but how do I tie them up with the control stick?

JoeDunlap
December 28th, 2008, 15:37
See the attached screenshot. Im using the example of programming a button for retracting the flaps. After you find the default setup for retracting the flaps, highlight it. Then click on "Add Assignment". A window will open asking you to press a button on your controller. when you do, it will display in the window. If it doesnt work, or says its already in use you can try again or complete the substitution. Then Click "OK" at the bottom and your button is programmed. The only thing you will need to do is figure out which button to push. I use #6, the pinkie trigger at the bottom just below the normal gun trigger, but the choice is completely up to you. It takes some experimenting with what you want to use so have fun with it. Be sure and expand the picture to full size in order to read it clearly. Hope this helps.

JoeDunlap
aka Maj_LeMay

gigabyte
December 28th, 2008, 16:57
One Eye, the calibration problem is a known issue and there seem to be various suggested solutions, the two things I noticed, are make sure you are using a system borad USB port, if you are using an external hub the address can change and you will have to calibrate more often. The other thing is Saitek devices seem to really like to remain on the same physical port all the time so if you have used more than one port on your system try removing the drivers installing the stick again and allow it to reinstall the drivers for the stick on that port then always use that port. I am not sure if this will work for you but it solved my frequent calibration problems, however keep in mind it is always a good idea to recalibrate every so often anyway, just not every time you start the system, but weekly or montly is a good idea.

wsmwsm
December 28th, 2008, 17:57
Joe: Thanks. That did it.

Thanks for all the help.

JoeDunlap
December 28th, 2008, 18:36
Your very welcome wsm, now, if you will just hold that course and alt. nice and steady as I squeeze the trigger ever so gently.......:costumes:

one-eye
December 28th, 2008, 19:36
One Eye, the calibration problem is a known issue and there seem to be various suggested solutions, the two things I noticed, are make sure you are using a system borad USB port, if you are using an external hub the address can change and you will have to calibrate more often. The other thing is Saitek devices seem to really like to remain on the same physical port all the time so if you have used more than one port on your system try removing the drivers installing the stick again and allow it to reinstall the drivers for the stick on that port then always use that port. I am not sure if this will work for you but it solved my frequent calibration problems, however keep in mind it is always a good idea to recalibrate every so often anyway, just not every time you start the system, but weekly or montly is a good idea.

Thx gigabyte , I have always used the the same USB port [not external] , I think by now it must be welded in place.I'll just try the ol'd recal again THX.

WV-903
December 29th, 2008, 08:16
Your very welcome wsm, now, if you will just hold that course and alt. nice and steady as I squeeze the trigger ever so gently.......:costumes:

Nicely put Joe for the details of CFS3 stick set-up, and nice to see you back around on-Line. :wavey:

Bill T.

OldCrow
December 29th, 2008, 23:28

And thanks too to Old Crow, I've just this moment realized what "Axis" means in CFS3 context. This means I can now re-programme in my 3 "Whizz" Wheels and slider on Throttle that I could not do before. --Yippeee !!!!!.

Glad I could help partner. I'm usually the one asking for help, nice to see it work the other way sometimes.:wiggle:

JoeDunlap
December 30th, 2008, 15:29
Nice going OC, now you made him even tougher. Im blaming you every time he shoots me down now :-P

hunter
January 2nd, 2009, 10:35
I would agree with Bill and Lightman. The simplest way is to program through CFS3 Control Options. Its easy to do, the most difficult part is deciding what buttons to use for what control. You may have a look at my settings for a baseline also if you wish. Just let me know.

Joe Dunlap
Its easy to do, the most difficult part is deciding what buttons to use for what control. And remember it , if you have some sim installed .:costumes: