PDA

View Full Version : Space Shuttle retirement

jhefner
May 14th, 2012, 10:17
The retirement of the space shuttle program is really making me feel old...

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/380295_3579533341502_1668226073_2712013_234602472_ n.jpg

When I was in ninth grade in 1976, I became friends with a boy named Curtiss Redmond. He changed my interest from trains to planes.

One day, he handed me these brouchers from NASA; and told me we needed to go ahead and apply to be astronauts in new Space Shuttle program. I never did fill them out and mail them in; instead, I put them in one of my photo albums.

The Space Shuttles then made their first flights. Curtiss passed away from a stroke and complications from cancer in November 1985. His death, late nights working at Wendy's, and the words of an instructor in trade school; encouraged me to go back to college to get my Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering. I graduated in 1989, and I actually interviewed for a position with NASA in their pyrotechnics group at the Johnson Space Center, south of Houston. It did not work out; I took a job with Gulf States Utilities in Beaumont instead; where I met and married Julie. Working with steam power plants changed my interest to steam power, and as they say; the rest is history.

Now the space shuttles are retired. They are now unloading a second shuttle for display at the Intrepid Air & Space Museum in New York. And someone gave me a copy of the May 2012 issue of Air & Space Magazine; in which they describe how they are dismantling the shuttles to make them safe for display, and to learn more about how hardware holds up to long term use in space.

Prowler1111
May 14th, 2012, 10:34
I still have the National Geographic magazine special issue explaining how the shuttle works, how it was designed, etc etc, and the next issue, with a small report on Columbia´s maiden flight to space...
Prowler

FAC257
May 14th, 2012, 16:12
Here's a space shuttle brochure from 1964. It's the Martin-Marietta "sales" brochure for the Astrorocket. Inside the brochure is a wrapped set of 8x10 glossies showing the craft in various stages of flight and configuration. Attached to each pic are the original typed decriptions of the pics from Martin-Marietta.

The brochure is from my dad's office when he worked at the Cape getting the Titan missle program into the air. We were transferred there in the very late 50's. The very first space shuttle model I ever played with was his TitanIII display model with the Dynosaur mounted on it. I was bummed as a kid when that spacecraft never actually got launched. If things had gone differently we probably would have been launching a space planes about 15 years before Columbias first flight.

I still have my official Junior Astonauts card that has the images of the original astronauts on it. I think all of the school kids on base got them back then.

Forest