PDA

View Full Version : OT: locomotive comes home,Auburn Ca

Daveroo
May 13th, 2012, 15:44
one of the 0-4-0tank engines that worked at the Mountain quarries mine in the American river below Auburn California,dating back to 1912,has been brought back to the canyon to be placed on the still standing "Mountain Quarries Bridge" also known locally as "no hands bridge"..alocal woman named Ina Robinson,she and her husband owned the construction company who provided the truck and trailer that moved the locomotive talked about in the linked story,was crossing the railroad bridge on her horse while participating in the western states endurance ride known as the tevis cup,100 miles from truckee ca to auburn ca on the western states trail,by horse,in 24 hrs..as she crossed the bridge,she raised her arms ,,hands high in the air and yelled loudly...LOOK NO HANDS,,and the bridge became known as no hands bridge....it was built in 1912 for the railroad,and at the time was the longest concrete arch span bridge in the USA....google it.....this railroad also had something like 18 miles of wooden tressles winding theyre way into the canyon,with a switchback up on the top near "camp flint" which became a prisoner of war camp in world war two..held german and italian troops captured in north africa..all of this is just a stones throw from my house to boot!!...google bloomer cut..its on the first transcontinental railroad just west of my house on the otherside from all of this...863 feet long..has a curve in it,and was the first use of dynimite in the usa...

http://auburnjournal.com/detail/207907.html?content_source=&category_id=1&search_filter=&user_id=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&event_ts_to=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=

Daveroo
May 13th, 2012, 15:57
im testing if these pics work....first is the railroad bridge over the river in the lower part of the pic,with the state rooute 49 to cool cal,next up and the curved bridge is the old foresthill bridge,,,the confluance,,the right to the right of the photo is the middle fork of the american river,,the left is the north fork of the american...portions of both are concidered cat 4 and 5 white water in places...the second pic,,you can see the fast fridays raceway in the top portion,sorta center,,to the right towards the river is a large parking lot..that entire area and south of it on the small hill is the camp flint POW camp.also,on the left is railhead park..now soccar fields..but this area was staging for the railroad which went down into a switchback where the road bridge now is soouth of camp flint653256532465323..third photo is bloomercut

oops theyre backwards,reverse order

rpjkw
May 15th, 2012, 10:22
What I would give to have been there.:jump: Thank you, Daveroo, for sharing.

Bob