PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 8: 40 Years Ago This Week...

Dain Arns
December 26th, 2008, 08:44
Launch...

XKtH0uzg8wU

Christmas Message...

bnyNXLXl8iA

40th Anniversary Celebration...

GfmdRfUS1ew

Rami
December 26th, 2008, 09:14
Being an NASA nut, I was fully aware of this and thinking about it. Thanks for the post! :wavey:

Panther_99FS
December 26th, 2008, 09:30
Man,
Seems like only yesterday that I was watching the Saturn V....(although I was too young to remember Apollo 8)

:medals:

loganpass
December 26th, 2008, 12:19
Great post Dain, thanks for that! Apollo was so big, in so many ways that I think 40 years later it's still impossible to fully comprehend what was accomplished and how it changed us.

Cazzie
December 26th, 2008, 13:52
I am one of those fortune souls who saw an Apollo liftoff, Apollo 16, the next to last moon mission. To anyone that has never heard the sound of a Saturn Rocket's liftoff, well only Hell would perhaps have something like it!

Thanks Dain, the only time I ever skipped school was in the 8th grade when Alan Shepard went up on Freedom 7 in May 1961. After that, the school would allow us to watch launches. :icon_lol:

I had two great aunts and one great uncle who worked for NASA in Newport News and Houston. I still have the many books on the Mercury Project my Aunt Bernice gave me. I have always been an avid follower of the space programs. I still follow them little Mars Rovers, haven't they been amazing? The two Voyager programs have been two of the greatest leaps of astronomy in mankind's history!

Caz

Dain Arns
December 26th, 2008, 16:13
The Orion Crew Module abort tests begin this next Spring at White Sands... :kilroy:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/home/int_orion_status.html