PDA

View Full Version : "Twenty" - Seconds from the Fence

fsxar177
May 11th, 2012, 21:08
A short clip.... four R-2800's coming in over the fence. Gotta dig that!

Featuring the Just Flight DC-6B, which will be covered in the upcoming release of the new "Computer Pilot Magazine (http://www.computerpilot.com/)".

Watch in 720p, turn it up, and enjoy...only 20 seconds!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=847QOAjHgiA

Joseph

stansdds
May 12th, 2012, 06:16
Nice! Only problem is in how poorly MS flight sims handle exterior sounds, especially when the aircraft moves past a fixed position camera. I've never been at the fence and had a DC-6 fly over my head, but I have had that privilege with the Collings Foundation B-17 and B-24. It's loud and the wind blast is nothing short of awesome. I get goose bumps just thinking about it! :mixedsmi:

fsxar177
May 12th, 2012, 07:26
Actually, within FSX it is possible to greatly enhance those exterior sounds. It just takes work. The majority of the sounds our there are still essentially FS9 sets. I am considering doing a new soundset, actually 3 of them, combined into one package. First for the 4 engines, 2800's (Like the DC-6), another for twin 2800's, (A-26, F7F), and thirdly for a single. As many sounds that are available for the R-2800, none of them have really satisfied me thus far. I believe I could probably get pretty close to that chilling effect.

If there is enough interest, I may pursue it.

Joseph

FSX68
May 12th, 2012, 08:21
Actually, within FSX it is possible to greatly enhance those exterior sounds. It just takes work. The majority of the sounds our there are still essentially FS9 sets. I am considering doing a new soundset, actually 3 of them, combined into one package. First for the 4 engines, 2800's (Like the DC-6), another for twin 2800's, (A-26, F7F), and thirdly for a single. As many sounds that are available for the R-2800, none of them have really satisfied me thus far. I believe I could probably get pretty close to that chilling effect.

Joseph

A yes from me........
:kilroy:

stansdds
May 12th, 2012, 11:17

Joseph

Definitely interested here, I don't think it's possible to have too many choices. Different R-2800's sound different and different exhaust systems further modify the sounds. The C-series R-2800's have a distinctive "whir" from the prop reduction gear, B-series engines lack this particular sound. Exhaust notes vary as well. Aircraft with multiple, short exhaust pipes make a sharper, staccato note, those with a collector and one or two exit pipes make a far more mellow and blended note. I've not found any perfect sound sets. I sometimes swap sounds from different sound packs to get reasonably accurate sounds.