PDA

View Full Version : Frame Rates and Prepar3D

Lionheart
May 10th, 2012, 11:02
You know... Its weird.

I had never really known about frame rates until CFS3 came out. It was stuttering so badly, I couldnt play it. The fastest way for me to grow gray hair was trying to fly a plane in a slide show....

Then, FSX came out. Again, I was back into slide shows. FSX had all these cool things about it, but you couldnt have your pie and eat it too, (so whats the worth of having pie if you cannot eat it!???). I noticed the entire FS web community began talking about frame rates. Frame rate this, frame rate that. Everything was about 'magical tunes' that would enable you to get at least 12 or 16 FPS. Some spoke of having half sliders and 35 FPS. Now, years later (five long years), people are now getting into new technology graphics cards, new chips (multi core chips do not make a difference I guess), and new forms of multi channel RAM. Now, some get 100 FPS with full sliders maxed out.

Some though, still have their excellent working computers that run FS9 fine as well as other new games that have just come out, like Mass Effect 3! My computer is fine! Well, along comes Prepar3D. They have been rebuilding and improving P3D for over a year now, using the old FSX code which they had purchased from MS. The new P3D, focused mainly on students of flight and flight training, runs more fluidly then FSX through the use of revamped, tunings to the code platform.

Well... I tried it, especially when I heard about the new prices. I installed it, and it auto-selected settings for my computer, locked at 20 FPS, 50% sliders (normal modes) and it was SMOOTH! Mostly staying at 20 FPS.... I moved Special Scenery and Scenery Effects to 100% sliders, and it still ran smoothly!

I noticed last night, that I wasnt watching FPS. This was the point of my posting this. FPS was like a fear-meter, a gloom gauge that was telling me the degree of stutter I was getting. And now, with P3D, as like with FS2004 (old faithful), I now do not need to look at the ole FPS readouts. I am back to focussing on flying, rather then diagnostics and the 'stutter-ometer'.

Sschweeet.....!

gigabyte
May 10th, 2012, 15:14
Bill, I was never big on counting frame rates just like I don't count rivets, all I look for is smooth movement on the screen and reasonably good graphic rendering and effects. Back when I first installed FSX I tried to push the settings and got terrible performance, finally I did check the frame rates and I was getting 16 FPS on average but it was choppy. I messed with plenty of settings and upgraded the video card and things seemed much better, nice smooth rendering and no stuttering. I finally got around to checking the FPS last evening and guess what I am getting 8 FPS (you are reading that properly 8 as in 2 less than 10) I am having no problems and I have most of my sliders at 2/3 max. I am not sure the FPS is reporting properly but the sim runs very smooth so I am not complaining, BTW I checked P3D and I am getting the same approx FPS with roughly the same settings. I know it does not sound logical but I am not complaining, I think there is al ot more to good performance than FPS but I can't tell you what it might be. For now I am happy and enjoy FSX and Ped so I am not going to complain.

Lionheart
May 10th, 2012, 18:15
Dang Mike... Well, I am very greatful for 20, even 12... 8 is when I start freaking out. Hard for me to land in, but that might be my age showing, lol...

My goodness man. You should see 20 FPS. Actually around 15, its smoothing out really nice.

Sorry that P3D isnt running faster.

MIKE! It just occurred to me.... Try turning off your AA setting in Display settings! Let me know what it does. Your screen 'might' get a little choppy, but your frame rates should rocket up to 20. I have an American dollar saying this will happen. If I turn on AA, my frames drop to about 5FPS........

Bill

roger-wilco-66
May 10th, 2012, 21:54
On my system (q6600 @ 3GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GT460) Bojotes prepar3d.cfg fix makes a huge difference, at least 10 to 15 fps as well as almost no stuttering and faster loading of high-LOD textures. Most of my sliders are maxed.

I concur with you, Lionheart. I don't mind when the frames drop, what bugs me is when I have a stuttering display. P3D is really better here.

By the way, when developing ChiChi Jima and now working on the Solomons again I noticed another source of stutter which must be considered by scenery (object) designers or those who design aircraft. If you have a missing texture or worse, textures, in your scenery or aircraft or if a GUID of an element is referenced but not present in the libraries or cfg files, FSX /P3D will constantly start a foray of disk accesses because it searches for the elements in the main and fall-back folders when you fly in that area and they are called upon. This degrades fps as well as generates stutters.
If you experience this sort of stutter in a certain area and see the hard disk LED flashing, it could be related to that issue and should be checked (enable alert log in the fsx/p3d.cfg).

Cheers,
Mark

Lionheart
May 11th, 2012, 08:12
By the way, when developing ChiChi Jima and now working on the Solomons again I noticed another source of stutter which must be considered by scenery (object) designers or those who design aircraft. If you have a missing texture or worse, textures, in your scenery or aircraft or if a GUID of an element is referenced but not present in the libraries or cfg files, FSX /P3D will constantly start a foray of disk accesses because it searches for the elements in the main and fall-back folders when you fly in that area and they are called upon. This degrades fps as well as generates stutters.
If you experience this sort of stutter in a certain area and see the hard disk LED flashing, it could be related to that issue and should be checked (enable alert log in the fsx/p3d.cfg).

Cheers,
Mark

This is 'very' good to know. That explains what might be happening at Diamond Point. The exact same issues are occurring there since the ORBX migration tool was used. It starts to bog down, then tree's blur into the sky, then the system freezes and a warning pops up that memory has maxed out and it shuts down the computer. DP must be missing some parts...

Bill