PDA

View Full Version : Sad but true...

Roger
May 6th, 2012, 16:34
I just had a flight in Flight for the first time in two weeks. There's nothing new; it looks just as it it did the last time I flew; it's so lacking in new stuff to excite the sim senses. If there were the opportunity for third party add-ons this would seem so much fresher and exciting but no it just feels dead.

robert41
May 6th, 2012, 21:03
I agree. I have not flown in Flight since March 4th or so.

beana51
May 7th, 2012, 06:44
At Level #20 now!..Still going!....really enjoy the Scenery...learned a lot about Hawaii....My Flight Controls feel more realistic,and predictable!.Its a "SIM GAME"..and delivers as promised....now along with mu FS9.FSX, whose hangers are full of Hanger Queens, that offers me great FUN!..I now possess a TRIO of SIMS,GAMES,TOYS,which afford me hours of "Walter Mitty"...Dreaming!..."FLIGHT" if anything will introduce many into the Aviation Sim World....The Rub off of it will make many seek a Sim like FSX....Once that world is reveled,they too will build bigger Hangers, Stuff them,get involved in World Creation..and the Suppliers of this will be happy ,I'm sure!.....All in All I think "FLIGHT" is serving a useful purpose!.. Introduction of "FLIGHT" to all,on a Desk Top!...If one Kid goes to an Airport,and "DOES IT" its well worth it!...For me,at 80yrs old this June,it beats Twiddleing my Twddies!..a few years ago ,I would never sit Playing with toys...not when,real flying was always there ..for me that is! .For Many However..The "CANDY STORE" Syndrome is Strong...Like a Kid with a quarter,oggleing at all the Sweet Stuff!...Never really satisfied!...But Thats Good.....I Guess?

HAVE FUN! Each In Their Own way!...Vinhttp://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon6.png

bushpilot
May 7th, 2012, 11:05
I've done my flying in Flight, and currently waiting for the news and reviews about Alaska DLC. Flight is still lacking any aircraft that would hold my interest (besides Stearman).

Roger
May 7th, 2012, 11:20
Alaska will put some new life back in the game but we need people, vehicles and ai. The main issue for me is that I have no desire to "play the game" and go for all those points.

Dain Arns
May 7th, 2012, 16:52
Alaska will put some new life back in the game but we need people, vehicles and ai. The main issue for me is that I have no desire to "play the game" and go for all those points.

That and the only aircraft addons that have been released have no cockpits have totally turned me off on this product.
While it looks great, not even the hopes of Alaska could really ever bring me back to Flight again.
I had a much better 'Flight' experience in FSX today.

Dain Arns
May 7th, 2012, 16:53

The absent "traffic AI", and the only aircraft addons that have been released have no cockpits have totally turned me off on this product.
While it looks great, not even the hopes of Alaska could really ever bring me back to Flight again.
I had a much better 'Flight' experience in FSX today.

bushpilot
May 8th, 2012, 22:42
I think MS is making a mistake by holding off any good DLC content for so long. People get easily bored and forget the whole Flight thingy and then it's too late to try to sell any new content.

n4gix
May 9th, 2012, 07:54
Has anyone considered even for a moment that it is possible that the delay in releasing "Alaska" might just be that they (MSGS) are making some revisions due to some of the feedback they've received since the original Release to Web? :icon_eek:

Gdavis101
May 12th, 2012, 13:45
What I find interesting is that they have already moved the DLC to Steam..

Naismith
May 12th, 2012, 23:15
To plagiarise the very quotable Frank Zappa in relation to his thoughts on jazz.
Flight is not dead, it just smells funny.

n4gix
May 13th, 2012, 10:17
What I find interesting is that they have already moved the DLC to Steam..

It wasn't "moved," Steam is simply an alternate sales outlet. All product still is delivered via the MS LIVE store. Steam "sales" have far outstripped direct "sales" from MS Live.

In this case, it was a brilliant marketing decision!

rhumbaflappy
May 15th, 2012, 06:09
I agree that the fun seems to turn to tedium without a flow of addons. Hard to tell where Microsoft is going to go with this.

I also agree with Bill that the Steam connection was a very good thing for Flight. It takes a bit of courage to go outside the corporate bounds with a product like this... but it was the right move. Steam has a huge user base, and a lot of experience with DLC.

Dick

bushpilot
May 21st, 2012, 23:24
New screenie of Flight:icon_eek::mix-smi::

http://i.imgur.com/75rf6.jpg

grunau_baby
May 22nd, 2012, 00:27
So, in the next expensive (Midwest-) addon you can fly a tumbleweed without VC;-)))))))))

The reason why it was thrown from my rig is just this lack of "live". Iīt look great, actually feels great, but it starts getting boring pretty soon and somehow you always feel thereīs missing something you cannot place: movement, AI, ATC, roadtraffic, FREEWARE of talented devoted passonate people, etc.!!!! Donīt know, just doesnīt do it for me at the moment and donīt see a sim-future for me in this yet.

Regards
Alex

Naki
May 22nd, 2012, 01:04
I cant even get Flight to install on my PC...so I gave up...guess Im not missing much

bushpilot
May 31st, 2012, 23:35
This is from "The AVSIM 2012 Demographic Survey", a poll they are currently running. Flight is doing pretty well in comparison with X-Plane. Comparison with FSX is a whole other story...

http://i.imgur.com/aGt3V.jpg

falcon409
June 29th, 2012, 20:17
I was determined that I was going to bypass "Flight" when it was released. I saw it as a Microsoft's version of the "Cash Cow" mainly because it appeared that in order to venture anywhere beyond the one Island of Hawaii, you were gonna pay, over and over and over again. Paying constantly for every new area of the world as it was released. I did finally install it though, my curiosity was getting the best of me. Based on the Dual Core system I run, the graphics were not much different from what I had with FSX/Orbx. The "missions" were boring (I don't even fly the missions that came with FSX/Accel). After a week or two I put it away and a few weeks later my system went down with a very nasty virus. When I got everything reinstalled I never bothered with Flight again.

I don't know what Microsoft thought the reception for "Flight" would be. If anyone from the Flight Team was reading the main forums, they had to know what they were up against. As far as I'm concerned it's a bust, but then again the flight community doesn't really care what we think, especially if it's negative. They've bet the farm on this one and I think that sooner or later it'll end up on the auction block.:salute:

ananda
June 30th, 2012, 01:55
Alaska for $15 (Ģ10) isn't too bad.

George

grunau_baby
July 1st, 2012, 08:09
Alaska for $15 (Ģ10) isn't too bad
Yep, and you get a great Cub with it, again an aircraft WITHOUT VC. Sorry, but I cannot take this approach seriosly anymore. I tested Flight, found some benefits even, but it unfortunately turns out to be more of a drawback than I expected or hoped.

Regards
Alex

Mithrin
July 1st, 2012, 08:44
It's certainly not my main flightsim but I've had some really cool flights over Alaska and had fun checking out some of the places you see in Flying Wild Alaska and stuff.

Snurdley
July 2nd, 2012, 19:18
Has anyone considered even for a moment that it is possible that the delay in releasing "Alaska" might just be that they (MSGS) are making some revisions due to some of the feedback they've received since the original Release to Web? :icon_eek:

Would that be AI? ATC? Real Weather? Road Traffic? Boat Traffic? Airplanes with cockpits?

n4gix
July 3rd, 2012, 08:06
Would that be AI? ATC? Real Weather? Road Traffic? Boat Traffic? Airplanes with cockpits?

None of the above. They were making some fundamental changes to the UI to allow for multiple scenery areas, in addition to many other fixes that were required.

Also, they took the time to add TrackIR support, and added axis control for incremental/differential toe brakes.

n4gix
July 3rd, 2012, 08:07
Yep, and you get a great Cub with it, again an aircraft WITHOUT VC. Sorry, but I cannot take this approach seriosly anymore. I tested Flight, found some benefits even, but it unfortunately turns out to be more of a drawback than I expected or hoped.

Regards
Alex
VC for the Carbon Cub will be available within a few weeks.

bushpilot
July 3rd, 2012, 09:34
Yes :icon_eek::icon_eek:

From Flight facebook:

"New plane tease!"
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/428489_388098151252172_547272536_n.jpg

Snurdley
July 3rd, 2012, 17:49
None of the above. They were making some fundamental changes to the UI to allow for multiple scenery areas, in addition to many other fixes that were required.

Also, they took the time to add TrackIR support, and added axis control for incremental/differential toe brakes.

Yes, I know. I guess I need a tongue-in-cheek emoticon.

Dain Arns
July 3rd, 2012, 17:51
Yes :icon_eek::icon_eek:

From Flight facebook:

"New plane tease!"
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/428489_388098151252172_547272536_n.jpg

What does MS mean, "New plane tease!"?, it's the Carbon Cub VC, as Bill commented. :icon_lol:
Guess 'Flight' goes up one notch in my book, thousands more to go.
(Only one as knowing Microsoft well, I'm sure we'll have to pay for it).

So.
Would I be hoping waaaaaay too much for an operating GPS in the center of the VC instrument panel?
Yeah.
You're probably right. :icon_lol:

n4gix
July 4th, 2012, 11:17
Would I be hoping waaaaaay too much for an operating GPS in the center of the VC instrument panel?
Yeah.
You're probably right. :icon_lol:

Well, in the meantime the freeware GMap for Flight fills in rather nicely!

Dain Arns
July 4th, 2012, 12:18
Well, in the meantime the freeware GMap for Flight fills in rather nicely!

No, actually it doesn't.
Looking for usable GPS inside the sim.

Problem with GMap:

- MS Flight fullscreen mode is not supported, GMap will only show in Windowed mode.
I don't do Windowed mode.

If there were someway to simconnect it to my laptop like Plan-G, then yes.
Otherwise have to pass on GMap.

n4gix
July 6th, 2012, 14:19
If there were someway to simconnect it to my laptop like Plan-G, then yes.
Otherwise have to pass on GMap.
I run Flight in "pseudo-fullscreen" mode (no frame at all, no toolbar at top or bottom).

I'm also now running GMap on my Android Tablet via AirDisplay (acts as a 3rd monitor). In any case, Fermin figures on updating the FSWidgets client to include support for Flight within the next few months, which will the make all of the current tablet applications available to use with Flight.

Evenso, I agree wholeheartedly that MSGS really needs to provide at least the same level of GPS that they had in FS9/FSX. It's not as though they've got to invent something new after all!!!

Dain Arns
July 10th, 2012, 09:23
I hadn't flown it in such a long time, I forgot that the Icon has a GPS installed.
So, why don't the rest???? :sleep:
(See, this is the point where I would just go ahead and modify the various panel.cfg's and add the GPS as a pop-up on my own to solve the problem. If only I could....)

n4gix
July 10th, 2012, 11:38
I hadn't flown it in such a long time, I forgot that the Icon has a GPS installed.
So, why don't the rest???? :sleep:
(See, this is the point where I would just go ahead and modify the various panel.cfg's and add the GPS as a pop-up on my own to solve the problem. If only I could....)

Calling that travesty a "GPS" is a bit of a stretch, IMHO. With no zoom, no declutter, it's too small to be much good for much of anything.

What I find most curious though is that they're using the same basic gps module that was used for FS9 and FSX, so I have to wonder why they left it so crippled! :isadizzy:

Dain Arns
July 10th, 2012, 18:23
Calling that travesty a "GPS" is a bit of a stretch, IMHO. With no zoom, no declutter, it's too small to be much good for much of anything.

What I find most curious though is that they're using the same basic gps module that was used for FS9 and FSX, so I have to wonder why they left it so crippled! :isadizzy:

With TrackIR and leaning into the panel it sorta works. :icon_lol:

Agree. I'd be happy with just the pop-up version of fs9gps.cab, give me something to work with! :costum:

n4gix
July 11th, 2012, 15:02
Just for giggles, here is my simpit. Main screen is 42" LCD, left-side is 24" LCD, Toshiba Tablet in foreground. Sorry about the crappy picture, my
JVC pocket digital recorder/camera sucks... :mix-smi:

PlanG and GMap is on the 24" monitor, GMap (FSX) disconnected of course, and Flight on main monitor...

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/6053/pic0059x.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/pic0059x.jpg/)

Meshman
July 11th, 2012, 16:24
I still consider myself a supporter of Flight and am wanting to wait and see where it ends up, but... I really don't want to take the time and the hassle to setup two 3pd programs, feeding a flightplan from one into the other just to I have an idea where I am or where I'm going. :isadizzy:

Hawai'i I know enough to find my way anywhere. With Alaska I'd be happy just to have the Garmin 295(?) from FSX. I sooooo look forward to the functionality of the GPS in the soon-to-be-released Cub VC... :kilroy:

n4gix
July 12th, 2012, 08:47
I still consider myself a supporter of Flight and am wanting to wait and see where it ends up, but... I really don't want to take the time and the hassle to setup two 3pd programs, feeding a flightplan from one into the other just to I have an idea where I am or where I'm going. :isadizzy:

I understand completely, however I really don't regret the seven minutes of my life it took to install and configure PlanG and GMap so I could use them for Flight...
...even though at nearly sixty-four years of age, every moment is very precious! :ernae: