PDA

View Full Version : Delete the page file...??

PRB
December 25th, 2008, 15:35
I’ve been working with Rob P. at VRS, trying to figure out why my frame rates are so low when flying the new VRS FA-18E Super Bug in FS9. We haven’t got to the source of the problem there, but one thing he suggested has had a HUGE impact on frame rates in FSX.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Deleting the page file.
<o:p></o:p>
** WARNING ** Only do this if you have enough RAM such that you don’t need a page file.
This makes logical sense, but it never occurred to me that I could simply delete the page file. I have 4 GB of RAM (Windows XP x64), and evidently this is enough that I don’t need a page file. So, as suggested by Rob, I deleted it. It had no effect on FS9’s performance, but DAY-UM, frame rates went through the roof in FSX!
This corroborates something else I read (here) about FSX, compared to FS9. Some smart person here said that FSX is much more CPU and RAM intensive than FS9, which has more of the work being done by the graphics card. I remembered this because when I first bought FSX it was a slide show, so I bought a new graphics card, and FSX was still a slide show. Then I bought some RAM. Went from 2 BG to 4 GB and the difference was astonishing. FSX went from a slide show to fun.
But even after increasing the RAM to 4 GB, I could not fly around big cities of huge complex airports, because it was back to a slide show. However, after deleting the page file, I can now fly around cities!! I still see a drop in frame rates, but I can still fly and land!
I guess if you have a page file, Windows will use it, but if you delete it, Windows will be “forced” to use RAM, where it would otherwise use the page file. And if you have enough RAM, this results in much faster processing!
Happy times! Thanks Rob P. from VRS!

Roger
December 25th, 2008, 15:53
Be interesting to see what results people using a 32 bit OS find if they try this.

kilo delta
December 26th, 2008, 03:23
I'd deleted the pagefile on my system many months ago (running 8GB ram on Vista 64) and didn't notice any issues...nor performance gains. Got a welcome chunk of hard drive space back though :icon_lol:

txnetcop
December 26th, 2008, 03:42
I deleted my page file when I got FSX the first time (over a year ago) on my 4GB 32bit Windows XP Pro system-no problems.
Ted

Daube
December 26th, 2008, 04:22
Be interesting to see what results people using a 32 bit OS find if they try this.

My virtual memory was deactivated some months ago (WinXP32 3Gb of RAM) and I the sim was much smoother, due to much fewer HD activity.

chinookmark
December 26th, 2008, 09:13
Okay, I set the virtual memory to no paging file. Do you suggest hunting down and deleting this paging file as well?

lifejogger
December 26th, 2008, 09:54
I guess if you delete your page file you can add it back later if you want?

Scratch
December 26th, 2008, 16:11
I just deleted mine and my framerates vary from the low 200s to well over 500fps, but the sim is in very slow motion. Panning is smooth, but very slow also. How can it show framerates in the hundreds and look like it is getting only one?

Panther_99FS
December 26th, 2008, 16:31
I just deleted mine and my framerates vary from the low 200s to well over 500fps, How can it show framerates in the hundreds

:isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy:

FAC257
December 26th, 2008, 16:41
I think what happens is that when your FPS get in to the 200 -500 range, the space/time envelope directly adjacent to the aircraft starts acting like one of those space ships that hits lightspeed in a sci-fi movie. Even though from the outside your traveling at warp speed, everything attached to the aircraft including the pilot are moving in slow-motion. :)

Switch to night time and look to see if the stars are still single pixels or if are they are streaks of light like in Star Trek. :)

Scratch
December 26th, 2008, 17:27
See for yourself:wiggle:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/2008-12-26_19-7-27-171.jpg

N2056
December 26th, 2008, 17:32
Holy Chronometers, Batman!
Einstein was right!!!

Panther_99FS
December 26th, 2008, 17:35
It's been Photoshopped' I tell ya'....:costumes:

Scratch
December 26th, 2008, 19:14
:banghead::banghead::banghead: Don't make me take some more pics at 500fps:icon_lol:

Scratch
December 26th, 2008, 19:53
OK smartie pants::173go1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/2008-12-26_22-20-13-921.jpg

No mirrors, no tricks. The still looks good, but it's like I'm flyin through molasses.

Panther_99FS
December 26th, 2008, 20:33
Hey Scratch,
What happens if ya' limit your FPS to 60 ?

Kiwikat
December 26th, 2008, 20:48
Does anyone know what this does to readyboost? I've got a 4 gig card of some sort stuck in here and have it set for readyboost. Would deleting the pagefile or disabling virtual memory disable that?

Scratch
December 26th, 2008, 21:09
Hey Scratch,
What happens if ya' limit your FPS to 60 ?

No change. Panning in the cockpit is pretty smooth though. Simulation rate is set to normal. Don't know what is going on. I'm gonna try running Black Shark and see what it does.

Butcherbird17
December 26th, 2008, 21:27
Scratch what settings you running? From the pics it looks like you have autogen turned way down.

Kiwikat, Im testing now with the page file turned off and readyboost on, (I have it set to use 3gb of my 4gb stick) and with fps set to unlimited and autogen set to very dense flying over New York city I average 20 fps. I also noticed that im only using 1.83 gb of system memory, so I have plenty of headroom with 4gb and readyboost on. This is also done with static weather, I need to test with real world weather to see if fps drop.

Joe

Scratch
December 26th, 2008, 23:18
Same high framerates, but smooth as butter and fast too!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/ScreenShot_015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/ScreenShot_019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/ScreenShot_023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/ScreenShot_024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/ScreenShot_026.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/Villicus/ScreenShot_027.jpg

Kiwikat
December 26th, 2008, 23:39
I've been messing with this tweak for an hour or so now. I'm getting moderate FPS gains with smooth performance. The only downside I have seen so far is a major increase in initial loading times to the menu and within the menu. Loading times for the actual flight haven't seemed to change.

So if you have 3 GB ram or more and can wait a little longer initially, you may want to try this one out. :kilroy:

dharris
December 27th, 2008, 06:24
I deleted my page file when I got FSX the first time (over a year ago) on my 4GB 32bit Windows XP Pro system-no problems.
Ted

I see you are running 4 gig of ram, I just purchased a new mobo, ram, cpu to upgrade system. I am still going to us xp pro sp3, I know there are parameters to use the 4 gig of ram, would you have time to walk me thru the process please> Thanks in advance.

Scratch
December 27th, 2008, 11:02
Just did a comprehensive defrag and nothing has changed. High fps counter, slow sim:isadizzy:
So far FSX is the only sim affected, all the rest have super high fps and very fast and smooth.

jetstreamsky
December 27th, 2008, 14:15
Have you got that fibre line added in the FSX.cfg, it has something to do with distributing the resources evenly, maybe that has something to do with it?

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

Scratch
December 27th, 2008, 15:10
Have you got that fibre line added in the FSX.cfg, it has something to do with distributing the resources evenly, maybe that has something to do with it?

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

Man, you're a genius! That did the trick. I forgot I had deleted my config file awhile back and didn't put any tweaks back in. My frame rate counter is back to normal and everything is silky smooth. Thanks:applause::ernae:

dharris
December 28th, 2008, 04:59
I see you are running 4 gig of ram, I just purchased a new mobo, ram, cpu to upgrade system. I am still going to us xp pro sp3, I know there are parameters to use the 4 gig of ram, would you have time to walk me thru the process please> Thanks in advance.

Found the info, thanks anyways