PDA

View Full Version : Prepar3D and reinstalls

AussieMan
May 5th, 2012, 15:10
Recently some problems developed with my computer and I had to reformat my C: drive. That went ok but the problem arose when I reinstalled FSX and Prepar3D. As usual FSX installed and activated as usual but Prepar3D was a different matter. When I went to activate it I got a message that the licence could not be found. Well in my usual calm manner I sent a nice email to Lockheed Martin regarding this and here is the quick reply I got overnight:

Hi Pat,

The license you have allows installation and activation on a single computer for academic purposes. The software does recognize that the installs are being done on the same computer, but if enough of the computer’s information changes (OS, external hardware, RAM, etc.); it will flag it as a potentially different computer.

We have added an additional activation to your license ID. You should now be able to activate like normal.

If you plan to make or already made changes to your machine please e-mail Licensing@Prepar3D.com with the update and we will get you squared away. Let us know if it does not work and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Have a great day,
The Prepar3D Team

So if you have the Academic version of Prepar3D It appears that if you need to reinstall after a computer reformat or upgrade you will need to contact LM to get your licence reset.

Lionheart
May 5th, 2012, 17:12
That is a friendly team.

I can see their point, activations happening, as though new computers are being activated. They do not know the difference and could possibly say no. I have heard of this happening with FS addons. I am sure they are aware of how much we run our sims and how we run our computers hard.

I hope all is running correctly now on your rig, AussieMan! Sorry you are having issues over there.

Bill

gigabyte
May 6th, 2012, 17:46
I had that happen with several applications at work, AutoCad has a very strict install / lic process, I tried to upgrade a system to a larger hard drive and more RAM and could not get the activation to work, I spent hours on hold with Autodesk over that mess. I finally decided to go back to the old drive, and levae the RAM, I did a system update on Autocad and waited a day, then I installed the new drive and did the lic verification with no problem. It seems with som eof these activation systems you can get by with doing one upgrade at a time and not have too much hassle.

Lionheart
May 6th, 2012, 20:05
Eeeeks, Mike... Autodesk is the worst. You were lucky.

I have heard of the nightmares they do to people. If you have 4 computers blow up, you are out of luck, another $4500.00 USD for Max.

:isadizzy:

ZEUS67
May 7th, 2012, 07:28
I can say that I like working with the Prepar3D licensing support team. I've just bought a new rig and they not only granted my request but they did it on a Sunday!

Lionheart
May 7th, 2012, 10:19
I can say that I like working with the Prepar3D licensing support team. I've just bought a new rig and they not only granted my request but they did it on a Sunday!

Dang! Thats impressive...

aeronca1
May 7th, 2012, 10:25
Eeeeks, Mike... Autodesk is the worst. You were lucky.

I have heard of the nightmares they do to people. If you have 4 computers blow up, you are out of luck, another $4500.00 USD for Max.

:isadizzy:

And people wonder why pirating exists.