PDA

View Full Version : Law changes - retirees/vets now salute the

CWOJackson
October 3rd, 2008, 08:47
Still proud, still serving. Congress has put "Still Saluting" into law for retired military personnel and other veterans.

The 2008 National Defense Authorization Act (Public Law 110-181) changed Section 9, Title 4, U.S. Code, which covers "Conduct during hoisting, lowering or passing of flag." Following is that section of the U.S. Code, as reworded by the law change.

"During the ceremony of hoisting or lowering the flag or when the flag is passing in a parade or in review, all persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Citizens of other countries present should stand at attention. All such conduct toward the flag in a moving column should be rendered at the moment the flag passes."

Jagdflieger
October 3rd, 2008, 10:01
Finally... The US Congress actually enacted a lucid law!

Salute! :unitedsta:

jmig
October 3rd, 2008, 12:13
Yes! I will proudly salute our flag.

exc141ac
October 4th, 2008, 10:53
Outstanding!

MCDesigns
October 4th, 2008, 13:20
outstanding!
agreed!!

PRB
October 4th, 2008, 15:11
Sorry, disagree. Don't know about the other services, but when active duty navy, you don't salute when not in uniform. That's how it should remain, retired or active duty.

What's next? I'm not retired, but I was active duty. Why can't I salute the flag. Unfair, I cry, outraged! The law must be changed! I'm being picked on!

(:d)

strikehawk
October 5th, 2008, 22:29
About time, I never cared for the fact that the President or Bill Clinton, could render a sloppy military salute but a retiree like myself and others could not give a proper one to the flag or another Vet. As a retired AO1 I earned that right to salute in a proper fashion, uniform or not. As long as I have my Crow on my cover, I'm in uniform.
The last salute I gave to a person was to my father at his funeral, it just seemed right. The last time I saluted our Flag was last week at work, when it was being raised.

jmig
October 6th, 2008, 03:25
About time, I never cared for the fact that the President or Bill Clinton, could render a sloppy military salute but a retiree like myself and others could not give a proper one to the flag or another Vet. As a retired AO1 I earned that right to salute in a proper fashion, uniform or not. As long as I have my Crow on my cover, I'm in uniform.
The last salute I gave to a person was to my father at his funeral, it just seemed right. The last time I saluted our Flag was last week at work, when it was being raised.

I saluted my father in his coffin, just before they lowered him into the ground. He was an NCO and I an officer, it didn't matter. Like Helldiver, he served his country well in its time of greatest need and I loved and respected him. Like you, it was the right thing to do.