PDA

View Full Version : A question before purchase

TeiscoDelRay
May 3rd, 2012, 08:05
Might get the academic version and want to know if this product is a download or mailed to me? Also it states single computer license so does that mean I cannot put on new pc if I build one?

Dave Torkington
May 3rd, 2012, 10:43
Might get the academic version and want to know if this product is a download or mailed to me? Also it states single computer license so does that mean I cannot put on new pc if I build one?

It's a download comprising three files that total around 10.5 gig. I got a real good d/load speed so this wasn't an issue.

It's transferable to a new install - you'll just have to send your license ID and details http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=1083

Personally I'd recommend you test out P3D with the Developer version for a month [that's if you've got any doubts about P3D performance / compatibility etc.] then grab the Academic version once you're completely happy...

Regards, Dave. :salute:

Lionheart
May 3rd, 2012, 16:26
Yep... Daves on it.

I am so happy I got it. Its changed my life on simming. I hated the performance of FSX and this is just flat smooth on my rig! For the first time, I am not flying in FS9...

I must say, that some people had negative results with P3D. Some graphics cards may be the culprit. This is with a very few people.

They do refund though if your rig cannot run it. One of the guys here was refunded. He felt his FSX was better running.

You will have 3 packages to download, 3.6, 3.9, and 2 gigs each. Its quite a download. I think it took me most all of the night to download.

Note, this isnt 'identicle' to FSX. You do not have a start screen with the planes. You do not have active weather. You do not have all the planes that FSX has. But you will have a high performance platform that is constantly evolving...

Bill

TeiscoDelRay
May 4th, 2012, 04:37
Well lucky me, I am one of those people that it runs terrible for. FSX ran great but this does not. I am getting only 15 to 30 fps with default settings in the default flight. FSX would be running in the high 70's and over. I am running an i7 2600k and two 570 gtx cards in sli.

rhumbaflappy
May 4th, 2012, 06:12
You will need to disable the bathymetry... no need for it if you are not going underwater. I've read this is a real drain on CPU resources.

Dick

Lionheart
May 4th, 2012, 06:30
Well lucky me, I am one of those people that it runs terrible for. FSX ran great but this does not. I am getting only 15 to 30 fps with default settings in the default flight. FSX would be running in the high 70's and over. I am running an i7 2600k and two 570 gtx cards in sli.

ACCKKKKK!!!!

Its a crazy world... Sorry TDR. Sorry to hear that.

Here, my humble machine from 2008 runs it awesome... Hard to figure out. I wonder why in the world it is running so horrible on your rig? It must be the cards, I wonder. The big advancement with P3D 1.3 was the new Shader-3. Perhaps the GC's arent running Shader 3 right or arent able to run it correctly? I wonder if it could be a driver issue...

When Prepar went to 1.3, a few people had this happen. In 1.2, this wasnt the case.

Bill

TeiscoDelRay
May 4th, 2012, 07:54
the 570 should be fine with that shader solution and I am running the latest drivers. One thing I did notice is that this software does not use sli very well and has one card doing most of the work.

TeiscoDelRay
May 4th, 2012, 08:01
Another problem just happened, when I try to change a setting by clicking on the box to check or uncheck the sim locks up and closes.

kjb
May 4th, 2012, 08:07
One thing I did notice is that this software does not use sli very well and has one card doing most of the work.

Neither does FSX, in fact SLI does nothing. FSX wasn't coded to take advantage of SLI, so there's no improvement over a single card.

Another problem just happened, when I try to change a setting by clicking on the box to check or uncheck the sim locks up and closes.

Run P3D as an administrator.

MarkH
May 4th, 2012, 08:20
I am getting only 15 to 30 fps with default settings in the default flight
Can we assume you have tweaked your nVidia settings? P3D ran like a dog on all defaults for me, but transformed when I simply added prepar3d.exe to my FSX profile in Inspector.

TeiscoDelRay
May 4th, 2012, 08:22
Thanks, tried that, same problem. I will try to re install or maybe got a bad download and will re download it. I don't give up easy. This is a new pc build as well as lightening fried most of my old one so maybe there is something to that also.

MarkH
May 4th, 2012, 08:35
Neither does FSX, in fact SLI does nothing. FSX wasn't coded to take advantage of SLI, so there's no improvement over a single card.
Generalisation. FSX doesn't have to be coded for SLI to benefit from it. I run at 4066x1024, which is possible because I use nVidia 2D Surround. This is an SLI technology (I run two GTX460SE cards in SLI), and FSX benefits from it transparently.

TeiscoDelRay
May 4th, 2012, 08:51
Ok re installed, same thing so now thinking it is a net framework problem and will try to download that.

full
May 4th, 2012, 09:57
Have you tried disabling Hyper Threading in the Bios ? I've heard it can be a problem for FSX so it may be the same for P3D.

I run a 2500K overclocked to 4.6GHZ with most sliders maxed and I'm getting over 100 fps most of the time, so you shouldn't have a problem getting these results too.

Lionheart
May 4th, 2012, 10:06
Have you tried disabling Hyper Threading in the Bios ? I've heard it can be a problem for FSX so it may be the same for P3D.

I run a 2500K overclocked to 4.6GHZ with most sliders maxed and I'm getting over 100 fps most of the time, so you shouldn't have a problem getting these results too.

GOODNESS MAN!!!! 100 FPS! What in the world!?

full
May 4th, 2012, 10:13
I must state that I don't fly in big cities so that probably helps :)

TeiscoDelRay
May 4th, 2012, 14:27
Still cannot get this to work correctly so sent for a refund. The final straw was when I started FSX and watched the activity of the two graphic cards. Both cards worked equally but when I did the same to Prepar3d only one card worked full on. Maybe when they get this working better for settups like mine I will try again.

Lionheart
May 4th, 2012, 18:40
Still cannot get this to work correctly so sent for a refund. The final straw was when I started FSX and watched the activity of the two graphic cards. Both cards worked equally but when I did the same to Prepar3d only one card worked full on. Maybe when they get this working better for settups like mine I will try again.

Sorry TeiscoDelRay. It doesnt work for everyone.

modelr
May 7th, 2012, 15:29
This is a late question, TDR, but did you only try it in the default area? The default scenery area uses very large texture files, and is slower on frames on most everyone's rig. I only get 10-12 FPS in the area, but when I go to the west coast, I get 20FPS steadily. However, even with the 10-12 FPS in the default area, mine runs smoothly, no jerkiness at all.