PDA

View Full Version : AIRFILE SECTION 1500 CFS/FS2K

AER_DaddyO
May 2nd, 2012, 08:02
Hello All,

Regarding Airfile section 1500 [CFS/FS2000 UNK]... does anyone know what this section does and/or how it would be formulated in CFS2? I have not been able to find anything in the help sections of the various airfile editors, other than "May relate to CFS weapons". If any "basement dwellers" have some info regarding this airfile section, could they please let me know?

THANX, AER_DaddyO

"Don't just stand there... get one up!"

napamule
May 3rd, 2012, 08:56
The only thing I have is: '1500h=May relate to CFS weapons'. Not sure if it is used by/in CFS as I don't have CFS. The Air file ini does not give any info and a Google search turned up nothing. Might not be implemented at all in CFS/2000 after all. Section 1500 has 1 line of hex: 0000 AA 6E A6 74 (comments: '.n.t'). I don't have/do hex edits. Sorry. I find it's best not to worry too much about things like this. Not worth the strain on the brain. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule

Milton Shupe
May 3rd, 2012, 19:32
I would suggest you post the question in the CFS1 and 2 forums, maybe even CFS3.

The other place would be the 1% forums, or maybe Jerry "Sparks" Beckwith will pick up on this.

sparks
May 4th, 2012, 22:34
I just couldn't help but chuckle when I saw this thread. That guess at the function of section 1500 was pure speculation dating from the Jurasic era.

Section 1500 was only present in CFS2 and CFS3 air files. It's a Cyclic Redundancy Code (CRC) - a 32-bit digital signature calculated by running the air file through a CRC routine. It was introduced with CFS2 to verify that air files were unmodified. The technique is perfect for detecting modified air files, but just detecting modified air files was certainly not enough to prevent on-line cheating in CFS2.

I think you can safely ignore it.

AER_DaddyO
May 15th, 2012, 07:22
Thanks to all for your responses! Having flown CFS1/CFS2 online in the "Zone" for many years, i.e. with human opponents, I will concur with Sparks that the cheat codes didn't quite do the job as MS had intended. In the Squad I flew with, we did our own WWI mods, so the cheat codes really didn't effect us too much, and the folks that flew the stock WW2 MS planes had most of the cheat probs. Anyway.. Lol.. it may have been in the Jurassic period, but the Zone was still a heck of allot of fun! Presently, am attempting to do some new CFS2 WWI airfiles, with the emphasis on offline AI performance, rather than online play. Section 1500 was a mystery for me, so THANX for the info!

AER_DaddyO

"Don't just stand there.... get one up!"