PDA

View Full Version : Video: 2 cm/pixel airport from OrbX

vora
May 1st, 2012, 03:57
Russ White, developer for OrbX, is currently working on the Steward, BC airport. By designing the whole airport as a model (like he already did with Ketchikan) he could raise the texture resolution up to 2 cm/pixel.
The result is absolutely spectacular: :icon_eek:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJVekb6x4c

As a nice side effect of the model approach there will be no blurries.
Some more screens of the airport can be seen here (http://www.fullterrain.com/product_czst.html).

stiz
May 1st, 2012, 04:38
As a nice side effect of the model approach there will be no blurries.

system depending of course, just cos they dont get blurries on their 20 bazzilon terreabye ram pc doesnt mean you wont :engel016:

skyhawka4m
May 1st, 2012, 04:45
system depending of course, just cos they dont get blurries on their 20 bazzilon terreabye ram pc doesnt mean you wont :engel016:

I completely agree STIZ. It would surely be nice if they advertised it that way too. Sadly...I've be a huge ORBX buyer but with the recent airports for the NA areas causing som many FPS issues.....I've passed on all the newer stuff. Yes I know about the settings and making them more FPS freindly but in doing so you turn off all the goodies that make the airport what it is.

for me its NZSI all the time now.

bushpilot
May 1st, 2012, 05:21
I'm getting sorts of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. vibes from those buildings, if you know the game. The level of decay shows really well.

vora
May 1st, 2012, 05:28
Even with a big rig I have experienced blurries on ground polygons.
But so far I haven't experienced blurries on model textures.
The whole airport is a model, thus handled differently than airports based on ground polygons. I think that's the difference.
So far OrbX seems to have applied this trick to Fall City and Ketchikan. Did somebody experience blurried textures at these airports (not the surroundings!)?

jeansy
May 1st, 2012, 05:30
pass thank you

while russ is good at what he does, and i will say the detail is extraordinary

fsx for me is a fly game not a walk around game, if i want that much detail i will go get a shooting or an adventure game that wont bring my system to a stand still like bush pilot mentioned

another thing if im going to spend that much time on the ground, i have to ask whats the point flying?

@ skyhawka4m

mate, most aussies experienced that problem some time back, brisbane and others brought the sim to a stand still and many uninstalled them just so they could fly on the east coast of Australia

anyway the hard core fans will have something to play with after they buy bill gates' personal computer, best of luck to them, its not going to be for everyone after the first patch of buyers buy it and moan about fps

on a positive note, thats one way to cut down on piracy

bushpilot
May 1st, 2012, 05:35
fsx for me is a fly game not a walk around game, if i want that much detail i will go get a shooting or an adventure game that wont bring my system to a stand still

another thing if im going to spend that much time on the ground, i have to ask whats the point flying?

My thoughts exactly.

vora
May 1st, 2012, 05:49
...anyway the hard core fans will have something to play with after they buy bill gates' personal computer, best of luck to them, its not going to be for everyone after the first patch of buyers buy it and moan about fps...
Yeah, 5 shacks and a landing strip will be definitely be an FPS hog... move along if you haven't got a supercomputer. Steward is even a busier place than Brisbane. :kilroy:

jeansy
May 1st, 2012, 06:02
Yeah, 5 shacks and a landing strip will be definitely be an FPS hog... move along if you haven't got a supercomputer. Steward is even a busier place than Brisbane. :kilroy:

yeah your right, but in reference to my reply to SH's post

add HD moving trees and grass people and every object under the sun that orbx add

then add the region textures, rex, weather and autogen

and you have a few of them around the area

then add your aircraft which most these days are HD with a few ploys

for a lot of people, it all adds up

I will say it again its not going to be for everyone

but each to their own, and i suggest you re read my Brisbane reference, you seem to confused in what it was in reference to

Felixthreeone
May 1st, 2012, 06:20
I, for one, am astounded. I will definitely be purchasing it as soon as it is released. My kind of airport for my kind of flying. Looking forward to it!

Ferry_vO
May 1st, 2012, 06:51
That looks amazing! :applause:

racartron
May 1st, 2012, 07:30
I'm in the process of instaling all of the NA airfields and so far am not having any issues with either stutters, blurries or slide show flying. The interesting fact about the preceding comment is that:

1... I run everything pretty slammed hard right except:
a) Mesh resolution is set at 5m because a couple airstrips require it -- Ketchikan and Starks,
b) Scenery Complexity at Very Dense,
c) Autogen at very dense
d) GA ai at 100%

2... All orbX options in each airfield's control panel are enabled ( If I do need to back off here a bit I know things can only get better. So far I haven't had to do that.

3... Now here's the interesting part. I'm running Windows 7/64bit on a 2.8 AMD quad processor with 4 GB ram and a Nvidia GEForce 9500 GT with 1GB ram on board. This is barely a middle of the road box by today's standards.

So my question is how come I'm doing fine while many others(see comments on this thread) are not?

It is worth noting, I bought all of these awesome bits not knowing how well they would perform on my current box. At almost 50% off it was a very good deal even if I had to wait unitl my next box to really enjoy them. So far, that has not been the case.

That's all I'm going to say about that;)

airattackimages
May 1st, 2012, 07:33
I've got an issue with PAKT. When on final, I'm watching the runway on the way in. Suddenly when I get to short final the runway rebuilds itself 40 feet lower. Really screws with your glideslope. It's more like a pitching deck carrier landing. :p

vora
May 1st, 2012, 07:34
This thread wasn't actually meant as a HU for an upcoming OrbX airport (for more awww see Jackson Hole, WY (http://www.fullterrain.com/product_kjac.html)) but as a HU to designers for this more effective airport design technique.

Like me most will design their airports by working with ground polys and vectors which are handled by the aging FS engine. On the other hand 3D objects like buildings and aircraft/VC models seem to be thrown at directx (direct3D, directdraw) in a different and a lot more effective way.
So instead of outlining the airport polygon in SBuilderX do the polygon in 3DStudio, extrude it a little to turn it into a 3D object and slap the ground texture on its (hardened) upper surface. In short make the airport a static flat aircraft carrier.
The advantages would be:
- texture resolutions higher than 7 cm/pixel possible (like in the Steward example)
- more texturing options (bump etc.)
- no/less blurries
- better FPS (so that even Matt would use it ;) )

Not only Orbx but also FSDreamteam is using this technique for their Vancouver Intl. (http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=5236.0)
Personally I will try out this technique for myself.

airattackimages
May 1st, 2012, 07:38
Just watched the video. Gorgeous. I want it, and most of the aircraft I fly couldnt even operate out of there.

jankees
May 1st, 2012, 08:13
It most certainly looks fantastic, too bad it is in BC, for some reason I'm staying in Oz...so give us something like this in Australia, please?

vora
May 1st, 2012, 09:06
It most certainly looks fantastic, too bad it is in BC, for some reason I'm staying in Oz...so give us something like this in Australia, please?
Do it like me, Jan Kees. When it's cold outside fly Oz, when it's hot outside fly NA. That's means that most of the year you'll be flying in the southern hemisphere. :icon_lol:

BTW: JV made a 2012 roadmap post, so for Oz there will be Bathurst and Rockhampton coming, also "Canberra cityscape" (JV's home, I guess ;) ). No word about Coolangatta/Gold Coast though.

:sheep: New Zealand will get its northern half and Queenstown will be made for the southern half.:sheep:

bushpilot
May 1st, 2012, 09:17
It's sort of mind boggling... with the rate ORBX is pushing out new sceneries, do people actually have time to enjoy all of them at their full extent? I know I wouldn't have time, so haven't got any of them. I think this is heresy, but I kind of like how the default FSX looks :icon_lol:

Felixthreeone
May 1st, 2012, 09:29
Well, my answer is a resounding 'yes'.. I have flown and frequently visit my orbx airfields...usually two or three in each flight. From parked to parked, the experience is like no other I have encountered in FSX. They have and will continue to deliver much enjoyment.

Bruce Thompson
May 1st, 2012, 11:19
Well, my answer is a resounding 'yes'.. I have flown and frequently visit my orbx airfields...usually two or three in each flight. From parked to parked, the experience is like no other I have encountered in FSX. They have and will continue to deliver much enjoyment.

Ditto!

Bruce.

cheezyflier
May 1st, 2012, 13:57
but I kind of like how the default FSX looks :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: i've had it from the beginning (fsx) and still haven't seen what default looks like as intended.

strykerpsg
May 1st, 2012, 16:26
Ooooh! I want this. It does indeed have stalker series detail and looks stunning. I too have laid off of many of the newer airports, but not the scenery, because it tends to drag down the resources of my current desktop rig, but this one looks small enough in detail to probably not kill it too much on maximum detail. Thanks for the find.

P38man
May 1st, 2012, 16:35
Can anyone tell me what the plane is that comes in at the 2 minute mark ?

I have seen it in another video but cannot find the damn thing anywhere!

orionll
May 1st, 2012, 17:16
Can anyone tell me what the plane is that comes in at the 2 minute mark ?

I have seen it in another video but cannot find the damn thing anywhere!

It appears to be the same one that's in the following cut, which is the Maule M-7-260C Orion on skis, in the "Denali Mountain Air" paint scheme (listed as "Alaskan operator's aircraft"). It's a default aircraft included with Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe.

bushpilot
May 2nd, 2012, 00:40
I think my preference of flying STOL-capable floaters or tundra-equipped aircraft has its benefits. Don't really need airports for them. Just some creek or river bank suits well.

But getting back to the original trailer, cannot deny that it looks gorgeous. Although the pompous music choice makes it feel like it is about the second coming of Christ or something lol.

greenie
May 2nd, 2012, 06:00
pass thank you

You have to remember that this scenery fits P3D as well , and , as you know , P3D will be/is a whole world sim for commercial/ military that could have nothing to do with flying .

dvj
May 2nd, 2012, 06:53
pass thank you

while russ is good at what he does, and i will say the detail is extraordinary

fsx for me is a fly game not a walk around game, if i want that much detail i will go get a shooting or an adventure game that wont bring my system to a stand still like bush pilot mentioned

@ skyhawka4m

mate, most aussies experienced that problem some time back, brisbane and others brought the sim to a stand still and many uninstalled them just so they could fly on the east coast of Australia

anyway the hard core fans will have something to play with after they buy bill gates' personal computer, best of luck to them, its not going to be for everyone after the first patch of buyers buy it and moan about fps

on a positive note, thats one way to cut down on piracy

I picked up Brisbane in the recent sale. Brought my FPS down to 5-8 and I'm overclocked Core i7 and GTX 680. Very disappointed.

P38man
May 2nd, 2012, 15:47
It appears to be the same one that's in the following cut, which is the Maule M-7-260C Orion on skis, in the "Denali Mountain Air" paint scheme (listed as "Alaskan operator's aircraft"). It's a default aircraft included with Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe.

Aah.....I see. I flew a few defaults only when I got FSX to test. Immediately got into payware addon planes.

Thanks for that.

Felixthreeone
May 2nd, 2012, 16:09
I picked up Brisbane in the recent sale. Brought my FPS down to 5-8 and I'm overclocked Core i7 and GTX 680. Very disappointed.

...Haven't tried Brisbane, nor any of the other AU airports or scenery areas...but I do have all of the NA releases to date. The only one that gives me a legitimate issue is Harvey, where I average 18-25 frames depending on the aircraft and what the weather is doing; I only tend to fly relatively simple aircraft there (carenado, realair, ant's stuff, etc)...but I almost always use real world weather.

....The real reason (other than the obvious looks of the Stewart scenery) that I am sooo excited to get it, is because of what was mentioned in the Orbx notes about the field design, and was also mentioned earlier in this thread. This airport represents an entirely new way of designing complex scenery addons that allows not only extreme detail, but also extremely good framerates. I can't be sure, but I would venture a guess that this approach was taken by Orbx recently in an effort to help people with the non-super pc's to be able to enjoy the higher levels of detail without killing their systems. They are in business to make money, not alienate customers. So, time will be the ultimate test...once the scenery is released, I will purchase it and post my (personal) findings...I am not saying anyone here is wrong about anything they posted, just that since Orbx is blazing trails into some new territory, we should applaud it and see where it goes.

dvj
May 2nd, 2012, 16:29
I want to mention that I get excellent frame rates with "Starks Twin Oaks" updated version.

jeansy
May 2nd, 2012, 22:58
I am not saying anyone here is wrong about anything they posted, just that since Orbx is blazing trails into some new territory, we should applaud it and see where it goes.

yes still early days, lets see how and where this leads

Naismith
May 2nd, 2012, 23:01
Beautiful video, fabulous scenery. Sheesh we've come a long way since I started with FS4. I today saw a vid on YT which intimated that FTX were now done with PNW and moving on. It was a nice video which reprised every scenery they had produced up our way. Is this true, are we done?

vora
May 3rd, 2012, 00:50
... I today saw a vid on YT which intimated that FTX were now done with PNW and moving on. It was a nice video which reprised every scenery they had produced up our way. Is this true, are we done? There are still 4 PNW airports to come out: Monroe, Creswell/Walker, Sequim and Pearson Field. Some of them you already see on that PNW Combo Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P72fkvzraG4). PNW is now really buzzling with airports while the other regions are pretty empty. PFJ only has Ketchikan so far, NRM two freeware airfields in the Albertan prairy, CRM and NZSI have nothing at all. And with NCA, SAK and NZNI there are 3 new regions coming out this year. So it's about time that they leave PNW for good.
Steward and Bella Coola will come for PFJ, Jackson Hole and West Yellowstone for CRM, Queenstown and Milford Sound for NZSI. Strangely no word about NEM and Bill Womack's Nantucket...

Felixthreeone
May 3rd, 2012, 06:04
I believe there is much, much more up the Orbx sleeve...they released the 'road map' to give people a broad look at what is in the works...but as one of the developers said on their forums, there is a lot that they are keeping under-wraps as well....

...The final releases for PNW are the ones listed above; I wouldn't be surprised to see in the next month or two announcements of a flurry of new airports for the NRM, CRM, and so on. Remember, they are also planning on adding two more large coverage areas (Norcal and South Alaska) to the mix. I am finding it harder and harder to fly out of the PNW since there is so much to see and fly there...but KJAC will definitely broaden that scope, and I look forward to the new areas as well

scott967b
May 3rd, 2012, 18:47
This thread wasn't actually meant as a HU for an upcoming OrbX airport (for more awww see Jackson Hole, WY (http://www.fullterrain.com/product_kjac.html)) but as a HU to designers for this more effective airport design technique.

Where do you get 2 cm source data? Photos or synthetic?

scott s.

vora
May 3rd, 2012, 23:23
Where do you get 2 cm source data? Photos or synthetic?

scott s.
According to Russ White they were hand-made in a lot of hours. Therefore it won't be a new design standard.

bushpilot
May 3rd, 2012, 23:26
Remember, they are also planning on adding two more large coverage areas (Norcal and South Alaska) to the mix.

Well that Alaska part certainly is something to look forward to.

Felixthreeone
May 12th, 2012, 05:20
This beautiful airport has just been released. I am downloading as I type this, and once I have it installed will post my findings on performance, etc....

Felixthreeone
May 12th, 2012, 08:48
As a follow-up, I figured i would let everyone know that not only is the performance good, it is EXCELLENT. Easily the best performing ORBX scenery I have ever used. My framerates were high...so high, in fact, that I actually had to lock them at 30 (I usually run unlimited).

They were skyrocketing into the hundred range...with every slider maxed (including autogen), REX OD, ENB, Shade, and AA at 8XS and 2XSGSS. This was in the VC and exterior of the Carenado Piper Seneca. Frames were fantastic.

.....There is natureflow there, but no control panel option to turn it of...and no need to, apparently. I will test more with live weather, but I don't think that will affect it much. And I can't even tell you...how awesome this scenery looks!!!! It is one of the coolest run-down airfields I have ever seen in FS!!!!! Love it!!!! It is super-real!!