PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with getting planes to run faster in P3D.

Lionheart
April 28th, 2012, 10:11
I have been experimenting 'also' with planes in P3D, getting them to run faster.

Oddly, some very nice planes run at 20 FPS glass smooth, and some run very slow in P3D, at around 8 to 15 FPS (with 15 being a high spike). So some planes are real frame rate hogs. One of mine, the Aerospool Dynamic was one. I went in and changed some double sized textures to standard 1024 size, down from 2048, so that now it only has 2 textures at 2048, and the rest are 1024 or less. This helped about 2 to 3 frames. Not alot, but from 8 to 12-14 was really nice. Thats flyable.

The Carenado C-185F taildragger also was a hog (in ORBX Diamond Point startups and nearby). 9 to 14 FPS (on my rig). I found that it had Bitmaps instead of DDS textures. I converted all of its textures to DDS and deleted the Bitmaps and it rose about 2 FPS. This is alot. But.... It didnt get it smooth enough for nice flying in detailed area's. That was a bummer for me.

Its odd how the P3D stock Maule runs at a constant 20 FPS, and the C-185 with what appears like lower details, runs so much slower.

I dare to think its the gauge coding. I use FS9 gauge coding. I refused to go to FSX gauge XML coding. I thought it was absolutely rediculous that they (ms) rechange the wheel design. Being able to fly the same plane in FS9 and FSX was nice, and required gauge coding to be that way also. I wonder if gauges are the culprit here....

I might try to find out. Maybe I can switch out the panel and see if that effects it. Maybe the Maule panel in the C-185 to test this.

Bill

Lionheart
April 28th, 2012, 10:31
Dang.... That was it.

I put in the Maule panel into the C-185F and FPS went to 20, barely touched 19.

dang...

Gauges! I'll need to go through and see whats going on with my little Dynamic. I want that baby to ride on 20 continuously...

Bill

luckydog
April 28th, 2012, 13:53
:applause::applause::applause: Great detective work !!

Lionheart
April 28th, 2012, 14:34
Thanks LD.

I need to figure out how one tests how gauges are taxing a system now, if that can be done.

Bill

rhumbaflappy
April 28th, 2012, 19:52
Hi Bill.

Bill Leaming would definitely be the guy to ask about gauges.

I believe all poll for data... and all gauges do have a bit of information lag. If a gauge polled less often, it would lag more, but should be less taxing on the system. Also, simple gauges would be less taxing to the computer's resources.

Dick