PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with FaceTrackNoIR... Howard landing at Duxford!

TuFun
April 24th, 2012, 07:42
I wanted to check out this program called FaceTrackNoIR in FSX. Looking to use this program in the Duxford Airshow video. Still more testing to do.

Teaser Duxford video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT8uhmx9iIQ

Daube
April 24th, 2012, 08:41
Nice landing !
I'm using FTNIR too, but I need to make some adjustments again on the sensitivity. I have lowered the EMWA filter to get a more direct response to my head movements, but I lowered it too much and I'm getting a bit too much parasite movements (due to lack of precision of face detection... I know, I have to shave... too lazy :icon_lol: ). I'll have to raise this settings a bit more in future.

roger-wilco-66
April 24th, 2012, 08:49
Looks very smooth, I always wanted to test that too.
What camera do you use?

Cheers,
Mark

TuFun
April 24th, 2012, 08:59
Nice landing !
I'm using FTNIR too, but I need to make some adjustments again on the sensitivity. I have lowered the EMWA filter to get a more direct response to my head movements, but I lowered it too much and I'm getting a bit too much parasite movements (due to lack of precision of face detection... I know, I have to shave... too lazy :icon_lol: ). I'll have to raise this settings a bit more in future.

I'm using v160 beta with v150 EWMA fix filter at the moment. Just like EZDoc, a bunch of potential setting to play with.

TuFun
April 24th, 2012, 09:02
Looks very smooth, I always wanted to test that too.
What camera do you use?

Cheers,
Mark

I using Logitech C270 webcam. Looking out the side of the cockpit on biplanes is easy now. Check back here, I will show an video example of the Stearman taxing in a few. -TF

Naismith
April 24th, 2012, 09:04
Intriguing! First I have ever heard of this system. I am a TrackIR fan, but get frustrated with TIr's sensitivity to extraneous light sources, so much so that it is unusable during the day unless I drop the blinds. Is this FaceTrackNoIR similarily afflicted or can it be used in daylight?

Daube
April 24th, 2012, 09:51
It can be used in daylight as long as your face keeps clearly visible (contrast/definition) on the webcam picture.
However, FTNIR is not as precise as a TrackIR. It's the freeware alternative, it's perfect for the price (and honnestly, it's really good), but everything I've read so far tells me the TrackIR is one level above.

TuFun
April 24th, 2012, 10:26
Did some more flights... really liking this program. This program uses SimConnect, so I'm thinking this might work with P3D.

You can stretch yourself up or scrunch down, twisted sideways, and reach for levers and buttons. You can simulate g forces in videos if you want more realism.

bushpilot
April 24th, 2012, 12:10
Wow this actually works well, and even with my cheap webcam. And it' easy to configure. Kudos!

SkippyBing
April 24th, 2012, 16:29
Did some more flights... really liking this program. This program uses SimConnect, so I'm thinking this might work with P3D.

You can stretch yourself up or scrunch down, twisted sideways, and reach for levers and buttons. You can simulate g forces in videos if you want more realism.
I can confirm it works with P3D, just put it in FSX mode and SimConnect interfaces just fine.

Lionheart
April 24th, 2012, 19:03
Nice!

Thanks for the heads up TuFun and SkippyBing!

bushpilot
April 24th, 2012, 21:16
The downside of this prog seems to be the quite heavy CPU usage. Causing me minor stutters.

jschall
April 25th, 2012, 12:40
I tried this program without ****, and while it is working, it is giving me these problems:

1) The CPU usage with FTNIR alone (No FSX) is 75 to 80% on BOTH cores of my AMD FX62 (2.8 GHz).

2) Then I start FSX - it takes AGES to load. And CPU goes up to 100/97%.

3) The worst thing is - I am sitting about 4 to 5 feet above my seat! And I can't remember the keyboard command to lower the POV!

Are there any controls in the FTNIR program to change the POV?

Don't tell me I have to ****!

Update: I ****, but there's not much help there.

This time, I started FSX FIRST, then FTNIR. I was back down where I should be.

But now my problem is my view moves constantly - I get dizzy pretty fast. I hope I can find a way to increase the smoothing or filtering or whatever you call it.

MHAircraft
April 25th, 2012, 15:12
I started writing a similar program using the same faceAPI, but gave up because it was too slow. This thing tries to recognize your facial features in real time as game inputs, and it's done entirely in software. That's why it is so CPU-intensive.

Well, it looks like hardware performance is getting close to be able to handle both FSX and faceAPI. Maybe in a few more years, both can be run comfortably.

Bruce Thompson
April 25th, 2012, 23:49
Tried this yesterday and had a good flight with it, runs o.k. on my machine which has a Quad core AMD CPU.

I also need to slow down the movements, it's moving a bit too fast but not sure what settings to alter.

Better **** I know, but have already had a glance at it and did not quite understand it.

jschall
April 26th, 2012, 11:37
Better **** I know, but have already had a glance at it and did not quite understand it.

The manual is not much help, it's quite opaque.

There are a number of helpful posts in this list:
https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1CHMO_enCA468CA468&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=FaceTrackNoIR+FSX

Including this from the Aerosoft Forum:
http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/40370-facetracknoir-has-been-updated/

When I learn anything useful, I'll post it here.

Bruce Thompson
April 26th, 2012, 13:50
The manual is not much help, it's quite opaque.

There are a number of helpful posts in this list:
https://www.google.ca/search?rlz=1C1CHMO_enCA468CA468&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=FaceTrackNoIR+FSX

Including this from the Aerosoft Forum:
http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/40370-facetracknoir-has-been-updated/

When I learn anything useful, I'll post it here.

Thank you for the info, very useful indeed.:salute:

Regards

Bruce.

TuFun
April 27th, 2012, 10:49
FTNIR 1.7 looks promising, still in beta I think.

Example of 1.7 in Falcon BMS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugMvnEu_byk

jschall
April 28th, 2012, 13:07
FTNIR 1.7 looks promising, still in beta I think.
Actually, it's still an ALPHA release, not available to mere mortals.

Your video looks very smooth, TuFun!

What are the improvements you know of in 1.7 compared to 1.6?

Could you post your FTNIR settings?

What kind of system are you running FTNIR/FSX on? On my dual-core 2.8 GHz CPU, both cores are 100%, and the CPU temp goes up beyond 75C. And the head-tracking is quite jumpy.

TuFun
April 28th, 2012, 14:20
Actually, it's still an ALPHA release, not available to mere mortals.

Your video looks very smooth, TuFun!

What are the improvements you know of in 1.7 compared to 1.6?

Could you post your FTNIR settings?

What kind of system are you running FTNIR/FSX on? On my dual-core 2.8 GHz CPU, both cores are 100%, and the CPU temp goes up beyond 75C. And the head-tracking is quite jumpy.

This is a quote form sthalik about 1.7...

"While the FTNOIR 1.6 version is getting pretty stale, I've forked the code into a development branch with the intent to get it merged in time for 1.7. Some of the improvements are:

- new, open-source head tracker, not misbehaving that much on extreme head rotation
- new filter replacing EWMA2 preventing drift, especially in sims with clickable in-cockpit controls (hello, TOH)
- new curve settings dialog, allowing an arbitrary amount of points. Note that the old version lied, since the API it used for drawing was never meant for plotting! Internally implemented on top of catmull-rom splines.
- performance improvements related to the 'crosshair' widget."

Not much else I know.

Here's another video example and click on the show more below for his FTNOIR settings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK4PFjSoFNs

My setup...

AMD 965x4 @ 3.8GHz
ATI 5850 Cat 12.3
Corsair Vengeance 8GB @ 1600
Webcam Logitech C270

My FTNOIR TEST settings... still WIP!