PDA

View Full Version : USPS Truck Maintenance?

TuFun
April 21st, 2012, 17:30
Took these shots this morning of USPS mail truck parked in front of the house. Tires are shot, steel belts poking thru. Mailman said most of the trucks are in bad shape.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/DSCF0490a.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l40/TwFun/Stuff/DSCF0491a.jpg

Willy
April 21st, 2012, 17:43
My brother in law is a rural mail carrier. He says he dreads the day that they start making the rural carriers drive those trucks. Right now he drives his own truck and gets paid mileage to cover his costs. I do know that the Ford Ranger must be a pretty tough truck as he's wore out everything else pretty darn quick.

paiken
April 21st, 2012, 20:08
Been driving the LLV (Long Life Vehicle) for 17 years now. As a matter of fact, my vehicle had a breakdown today (naturally on our first 100+ degree day of the year). Although the USPS's financial problems have been covered quite a bit in the news lately, the condition of those tires is NOT a result of poor maintenence or the budget crunch. The issue is a lazy carrier not turning in a repair ticket for those obviously unsafe tires. We are required to perform a vehicle check every morning, including checking the tires, all lights and signals, and checking for leaking fluids. Most of these LLV's are over 25 years old and still performing their jobs, although age is taking it's toll. The body's are pretty much indestructible. They were made by Allied Grumman (the defense contractor) and are all aluminum. The drive train and frames are by Chevrolet, basically an S-10 pickup truck with a 4 cylinder Vortec engine with the A/G bodies bolted on top. Word from the maintenence people here in Phoenix is that the Post Office is looking to convert them into all electric vehicles. They are reportedly testing a few eLLV's somewhere along the east coast.

hey_moe
April 21st, 2012, 21:38
I have to agree with the above statement. I drive a company vehicle and it is up to me to get full maintenance. I have a corporate credit card and when I need to get something done, all I got to do is send in a message and go do it. Right now mine is in the shop and all they do is give me another vehicle to drive until that one is fixed.Each service truck and car are assigned to techs. If it get in the condition to where the belts are showing it is your own fault.

Crusader
April 22nd, 2012, 16:14
My brother in law is a rural mail carrier. He says he dreads the day that they start making the rural carriers drive those trucks. Right now he drives his own truck and gets paid mileage to cover his costs. I do know that the Ford Ranger must be a pretty tough truck as he's wore out everything else pretty darn quick.

Willy , my rural mail carrier already had to change to one of those " little piece of s--- " as he calls it .There is a lot of gravel roads on his route and he has almost lost it several times .