PDA

View Full Version : [Payware] F-35 project - F-35A RC1 and F-35B Alpha images

Dino Cattaneo
April 19th, 2012, 23:15
63675 63676

Above are the very first images of the F-35A Release Candidate and the F-35B Alpha models, from my F-35 Lightning II project.
While some elements will be reused from my previous F-35, the external model is completely new.
Due to my "paying job" workload, I have no idea when it will be released - and at the moment the F-35C is having a huge delay from the initial schedule...
It started as payware project - but I am willing to keep the price low (same price range as the previous one - and a discount for customers of the previous version, which is not on sale anymore) as my target is to break even. There is also a small chance it will be freeware, for several reasons it is very long to explain...let's see.

Anyway, here they are - I hope you like them.

strykerpsg
April 19th, 2012, 23:29
Dino, superb lines. I am indeed looking forward to purchasing this one, again.

Gibbage
April 19th, 2012, 23:45
Great work on the texture shaders! You really got that unique matte on semi-gloss stealth paint down!

hey_moe
April 20th, 2012, 02:18
Looks good Dean. I even believe some of our prop-farts will like it too :mixedsmi:

DagR
April 20th, 2012, 02:47
Very cool Dino, looking forward to that ;-)

Best
DagR

papab
April 20th, 2012, 02:57
Very cool..
Rick

Victory103
April 20th, 2012, 03:18
Dino, not a fan of the plane, but a huge fan of your models, outstanding work!

Phantom88
April 20th, 2012, 05:19
Outstanding work as always Dino:salute:Thanks for the update.

italoc
April 20th, 2012, 07:02
Bravissimo Dino
carry on modeling like this (and don't worry, we all wait patiently for you to release it at your own pace)
Ciao
Italo

cortomalteseit
April 20th, 2012, 09:29
This will be another piece of art coming from Dino's hands, it's sure.
I'm very curious about the features of the B version.
Thanks for the preview, ciao!

Warrant
April 20th, 2012, 14:47
63675 63676

Above are the very first images of the F-35A Release Candidate and the F-35B Alpha models, from my F-35 Lightning II project.
While some elements will be reused from my previous F-35, the external model is completely new.
Due to my "paying job" workload, I have no idea when it will be released - and at the moment the F-35C is having a huge delay from the initial schedule...
It started as payware project - but I am willing to keep the price low (same price range as the previous one - and a discount for customers of the previous version, which is not on sale anymore) as my target is to break even. There is also a small chance it will be freeware, for several reasons it is very long to explain...let's see.

Anyway, here they are - I hope you like them.

Great job there, Dino!

I'll be getting this bird as well as soon you release it.

I have the official Dutch F-35 paint scematics in my posession, but i await permission to publish or share.
When i have permission i'd like to offer to make some liveries (no What-if's this time :-))

Bone
April 20th, 2012, 16:22
If Dino builds it, I will buy it...unless it's freeware, lol.

DennyA
April 20th, 2012, 17:48
Those look awesome, Dino! I bought the first one and love it, and I'll happily buy the new ones too. (Especially the F-35C when you have time; I love the look of the bigger wings.)

Dino Cattaneo
April 26th, 2012, 02:50
Thank you all for your appreciation...

Currently:
The -A version is almost ready for release, but ideally it should be part of a complete F-35 package.
The -B version is making some progress, and a Beta will be ready soon. I'm working with Rob Barendregt to have proper STOVL functionality added.
The -C version is way beyond these two. I want to make it as the bigger wings give it a fairly unique and slick look. And then, as you know, I am a naval aviation fanatic.
My initial project was a payware package that included all the three variants... Check Bcf Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?bcf/) and Ezibuy Catalogue (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?ezibuy/). but I that project is a little too big for me to handle, at the moment.

By the way, there is also a small update to my T-45C project coming - and yes, I am still working on an F-14D upgrade/remake which looks really promising (but do not expect anything before Autumn!). Both will be freeware.

I will post more pics soon.

FlameOut
April 26th, 2012, 03:10
Good show Dino! I purchased your original F-35. I cannot wait to get my hands on that F-35B. :applause:
I hope to have a new P.C. build ( Intel 980 or 990X ) by July-Aug. time period. That should take on all comers.

cortomalteseit
April 26th, 2012, 08:16
OMG!!! speechless news, all in one post!
Good work, Dino!

Dino Cattaneo
April 27th, 2012, 00:04
OOPS... I just realized I made a mistake in my last post... The F-35C is not "beyond" the others but it is "behind". At the moment there the external model is 30-40% complete... so I am thinking if I should wait for its completion before shipping the final package or not.

Actually, the new Tomcat is looking so good that I'd really want to do more work on that...

Victory103
April 27th, 2012, 01:56
Actually, the new Tomcat is looking so good that I'd really want to do more work on that...

+1, can't wait to see the work on the Turkey!

Sundog
April 27th, 2012, 17:15
The C variant of the F-35 is my favorite, but if you're so far ahead of it with the other packages, just release the first two and let everyone know the C will come later, or just make the C an extra payware product. You pay extra to add it to the A/B pack. I can wait for it. I'm just happy you're working on it.

Also, if you need to hop over to the F-14 to work on it, because you're tired of looking at F-35s, I'm good with that as well. As long as we eventually, hopefully get the C as well.

Thanks Dino for making all of these planes.

rcbarend
April 28th, 2012, 07:37
Hi,

I'm sure Dino doesn't mind me posting this WIP .....:icon_lol:

Guess what my favorite F35 version will be ......

Cheers, Rob

Sundog
April 28th, 2012, 16:23
Awesome preview pics Rob, thanks. Also, thanks for working the VSTOL envelope on this, that means it's going to be a great flyer.

strykerpsg
April 28th, 2012, 18:13
Hi,

Cheers, Rob
:jawdrop: OMFG! That is some fantastic detail. I too loved the first release and looking forward to this one. Thanks for sharing Rich.

Bone
April 28th, 2012, 18:26
Hi,

Cheers, Rob

That's fantastic.

Dino Cattaneo
May 1st, 2012, 15:51

...well, Rob, your STVOL gauge works so well that I am ready to forgive you for the leaked pictures :mixedsmi:!

Anyway a very rainy labor day (at least here in Northern Italy) brought some major advancements in my F-35 project... Al
The F-35B is almost ready for Beta testing - I added a lot of missing details and completed the texturing and I have to confess I am quite happy with it. Beta applications rule will be posted on my blog - I already have plenty of testers but I may want to add a couple. Whoever received Beta 1 will be automatically included in Beta 2.

Also, I've modeled the AIM-9X and rebuilt the F-35A models with it. And I've also figured out a way to model the F-35C in a reasonable amount of time (with a little artistic licence on a couple of details... which I am sure someone will notice in seconds, but it may be a fair copromise...it is worth a try IMHO).

Above are just a couple of shots of the latest mdls (F-35B in USMC livery and F-35A with AIM9x)... and a picture of me having a lot of fun hovering in the F-35B :jump:!

Sundog
May 1st, 2012, 18:47
They look great Dino! I'm glad to hear you're making progress on all of them.

DagR
May 1st, 2012, 23:50
Superb work. CBUs, are they still in fashion ?

Best
DagR

cortomalteseit
May 2nd, 2012, 01:06
While i'm tanning in south of Italy, i wish there it will be a lot of rain in northern Italy, if these are the results :D
Looks fantastic, can't wait to land on the deck!!! :cost1:

Dino Cattaneo
May 3rd, 2012, 16:43

Just some pictures while I was preparing the thumbnails for the aircraft selection menu - F-35A, B and C flying over Fort Worth.
There is still some work before Beta 2 is ready - and it will only feature -A and -B models.
The -C you see in the picture is the result of some "Frankenstein" modeling I am doing. Looks promising - but there is a lot of work to be done (much more than what it may seem judging by the photo).

At the moment I am seriously considering a freeware release - as I may not have the time to deal with the bureaucracy associated with a professional activity. But that is another story - the focus at the moment is deliver a good plane to FSX.

Sundog
May 3rd, 2012, 19:20
At the moment I am seriously considering a freeware release - as I may not have the time to deal with the bureaucracy associated with a professional activity. But that is another story - the focus at the moment is deliver a good plane to FSX.

Doesn't matter, you'll be getting a donation from me anyway.

vonstroheim
May 4th, 2012, 07:05
At the moment I am seriously considering a freeware release...

Yes freeware is the way to go!

Here's a screenshot of your "old" F-35A... Can't wait for the B version... Glad to hear Rob's VTOL magics are included...

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/757477F35.jpg

This LHA-5 by A.J. Weber (http://fsaddon.eu/wpfsaddon/?page_id=566) is really nice by the way: a payware sold for $0 at fsaddon.

Dino Cattaneo
May 4th, 2012, 08:51
I like the freedom of freeware - I have a good "real life" job and I do not need a second one.
Still, trying to achieve the best visual quality for the F-35, I had to purchase professional 3d meshes and use them as starting point for the new model. I did the same for the old F35, although in the meantime more accurate meshes were released.
I could not resist. I stongly wanted a better F-35 (and a better F-14) so I bought the 3d data... which was quite expensive.
Grand total was about one month of my monthly salary as a mechanical engineer... Good thing I am not married, as that would be a good reason for divorce.

Long story short - the F-35 has costed me a significant amount of money (and time - but that was fun, so free-of-charge for you) and I'd like to recover that costs, quite honestly.
But then, the money is so much that becomes relevant for the taxes...and this means lots of paperwork, proper book keeping for the sales and so long and so forth. So I am undecided.

LHA-5 by FSAddon is quite nice indeed - but I have an issue with that: the sea polygons crawl on the side of the ship on my installation. I thought it was due to conflict with Megascenery Socal and Hawaii... but if you are using it without problems it may well be my configuration.

LHA-4 by Aerosoft (from Seahawk package) looks even better - but the fact that the deck is not landable if you relocate the ship elsewhere is a major drawback...

DaveWG
May 4th, 2012, 09:24
Looks very nice Dino. :applause:

Payware, or freeware, I'll certainly be getting this.

strykerpsg
May 4th, 2012, 18:31
Dino, I too would gladly support pay ware or donation ware as I strongly feel you as a developer are certainly owed something to continue your great work. Either way, I'm in. I donated or bought your first release and am happy to support this one equally.

Dino Cattaneo
May 8th, 2012, 23:23
Some good news: the F-35C modeling "experiment" went quite well... it is not perfect but it is acceptable.
First cat shots and traps yesterday... not bad. I will post some pictures soon!

Ian Warren
May 8th, 2012, 23:52
Dang interesting type , course the reputation of all your previous and especially most all Naval jets , Dino - i'm in for this party .. plenty of rotor time and Harrier ups and downs :cool:

Dino Cattaneo
May 9th, 2012, 23:53

In the past few days I did some significant progress with the F-35C... at the moment the external model is 75% done... so I started making some carrier trials - which were OK (although the gear dynamics need some tweaking).

As the real F-35C development is somewhat late compared to the F-35A and B (some of which have already been delivered to Eglin AFB), I have decided to depict the F-35C in the CF-02 (second system development aircraft) livery - specifically with some parts with the typical the greenish primer color showing here and there. Some may not like it... but I think it gives a nice "flight testing" vibe to it. BTW afaik, real F-35C has not been flown with external loads yet... But, as you know, this whole F-35 project has a lot of simplification and a tiny bit of fiction...

FlameOut
May 10th, 2012, 02:42
Looking great Dino, thanks for you diligent work on this project. :applause:

Dino Cattaneo
May 16th, 2012, 16:53
Above are some images of the latest build of the F-35A, -B and -C models flying nearby Eglin AFB (custom photoscenery done with FSET)... Unfortunately I do not have much time to work on this project, nor I will for few days... but as you can see, Beta 2 is not far away. Maybe it will take a couple of weeks.

FlameOut
May 16th, 2012, 17:02
DYN-O-MITE :salute:

ryanbatc
May 16th, 2012, 17:26
Neat plane, neat model, nice work!

jdhaenens
May 16th, 2012, 17:40
Looking great Dino! I have one of these at Miramar (getting closer)... good for practice. I think El Toro has one too. Don't know if anyone's done it yet.

Best,

Jim

strykerpsg
May 16th, 2012, 18:03
Above are some images of the latest build of the F-35A, -B and -C models flying nearby Eglin AFB (custom photoscenery done with FSET)... Unfortunately I do not have much time to work on this project, nor I will for few days... but as you can see, Beta 2 is not far away. Maybe it will take a couple of weeks.

Dino, fantastic pics, as always! Is the water/shoreline effects part of the photoscenery? It also looks phenomenal and wish REX2 could replicate that.

DX-FMJ
May 16th, 2012, 18:10
Looks awesome Dino!

BTW is that scenery available?

dx

Dino Cattaneo
May 17th, 2012, 01:09
65576 65577 65578

Thanks for the appreciation! Above are few other screenshots.

As for the photoscenery, no it is not available - it was not intended for public release, although it looks so good that it may be worthwhile working on it in future.
The coastlines you see in the picture come directly from the aerial photos... only the main shoreline (not shown) is blended into FSX default water.

There is a photoscenery of the area available at SimMarket...it is OK, but not great. That is why I made my own (actually it is version 2...the first one was at 30cm/pixel...it looked great but it was 20Gb...)

IanHenry
May 17th, 2012, 04:20
That's looking great Dino. Bye the way, has your F-14 been removed? I wasn't able to download it when I tried the other day.

Regards,
Ian.

Dino Cattaneo
May 17th, 2012, 04:38
@Jim

Great addition - we would need that for hovering practice (although it takes few minutes to learn how to fly in the STOVL mode!)

@Ian

If you have tried from my blog, it may well be... I am using file-sharing website which may delete the file if it has not been dowloaded for 90 days or so.
Anyway, a MUCH improved version of the Tomcat is in the works... although it may take months before a decent build is ready...

IanHenry
May 17th, 2012, 09:28
Thanks Dino,
I eventually got the F-14. Looking forward to your new one!

Regards,
Ian.

FlameOut
May 21st, 2012, 13:08
@ RobCap...

I know this is way O.T. for this thread and it may not be for FSX.... is this you ???..... since you reviewed the Saitek Yoke system. I've been wrong before and I apologize if I am now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=govXiJja2aE

gtirob01
May 22nd, 2012, 08:49
The progress on the 3 models is outstanding! I most certainly will buy it, as I had the original A model!

Eglin now has 12 F-35's, and I have finally started seeing more of them flying over my work and home. They are usually quite high up and always accompanied by an F-16 or F-18. You can definitely tell the difference in sound between the F-35 and the F-16. A real deep rumble, and just an awesome sound!

Dino... I would ask that you pursue that scenery, as I for one would be thrilled to get it since I live and work in the vicinity of Eglin, and I would not be surprised to see my workplace in that scenery!

Dino Cattaneo
May 23rd, 2012, 00:58
Thanks for the appreciation - I have to confess I am quite happy with the current build and everything is on plan to pack Beta 2 during the next weekend.

Still, no custom sounds (I am using the Hornet ones)...at the moment I believe it is one of the weakest point of teh package.

As for the scenery, I'd really like to have the time to work on it... and then, it is using aerial photos that may be copyrighted and I am not a scenery designer. Still, it looks quite good for screenshots...

Sundog
May 25th, 2012, 12:51
Thanks for the appreciation - I have to confess I am quite happy with the current build and everything is on plan to pack Beta 2 during the next weekend.

Still, no custom sounds (I am using the Hornet ones)...at the moment I believe it is one of the weakest point of teh package.

As for the scenery, I'd really like to have the time to work on it... and then, it is using aerial photos that may be copyrighted and I am not a scenery designer. Still, it looks quite good for screenshots...

I'll bet some of the sound design masters around here would be willing to make sounds for it.

neutrino
June 1st, 2012, 02:34
Here are two videos showing the current progress of Dino's F-35 Lightning II project:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jn5XnupDw3w?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q1m-YDW2kW4?feature=player_embedded" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Cag40Navy
June 1st, 2012, 10:12
Oh boy! I cant wait for this one! Awesome job Dino!

peter12213
June 1st, 2012, 12:08
That looks very stable on landing, I really like the looks of that the C model I mean, I honestly think it will be the C model of the real aircraft that will prove to be the most cost effective and probably see the most combat! I just wish the RN had bought the C model and had real launch and recoverys by cat and wire, I mean you don't even need a catapult on the QEII class what with ski ramps. The B will be remembered as the show stunner, but I bet the combat stats will not match the C or even the A model's record when we look back in 40 years if we live that long haha!

neutrino
June 2nd, 2012, 08:49
The cool thing is that Dino's plane and the real plane go through the same development cycle at the same time! If someone from Lockheed was to peek into the development of the FSX F-35, he will be scratching his head :icon_lol:

VaporZ
June 5th, 2012, 04:35
For those of you, like me who are both passionate :

"Plastic Kits Modellers" ( for now 45 years )
and
Flightsimmer ( for now 10 years )

take a look here :
http://www.themodellingnews.com/2012/05/kittyhawk-announce-f35b-jump-jet.html

Interesting !
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

Sundog
June 5th, 2012, 15:57
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think I've even heard of Kitty Hawk models before, much less anyone in my modeling clubs.