PDA

View Full Version : RIP Eddie

EasyEd
April 17th, 2012, 17:25
Hey All,

52 years ago today at age 21.

Most here will have never heard of Eddie Cochran but you may have heard some of his music.

y-Es_mxFc9U

X7KQMOAUsGc&feature=related

MeWC59FJqGc&feature=related

So many with talent die too young.

-Ed-

Javis
April 17th, 2012, 19:41
Well, i can tell you that this boy, aged maybe 10 or something back then, growing up in a small village in Holland, has always been a big fan of Eddie Cochran, right up there with Elvis, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry. That's one of the privileged sides of having an older brother, who bought the records as they were released and certainly not easy to come by.

Those were extremely exiting times. 'Normal' radio stations in Holland didn't know anything about rock&roll in those days, didn't have the foggiest idea what was going on, that not only popular music but, partly because of that, the whole western world was changing !

My brother had found this radio station called 'Radio Luxemburg'. It was English spoken so we couldn't understand much of what was said but they'd play all this new and exiting 'rock&roll' stuff coming from America. Now THAT we could understand very clearly indeed !

Both my brother an i still remember when we first heard Elvis' 'Heartbreak Hotel' on this station. My brother moved heaven and earth to get his hands on this record. We must've played it a thousand times, probabely more. I still get goose bumps when i hear it...

Eddie Cochran, like the rest of the famous early American R&R stars, became very popular here in Holland. No jukebox in bars, snackbars and pubs in those days without C'mon Everybody, Summertime Blues, Three Steps to Heaven, Somethin Else, etc. I have always thought he was sort of 'special', 'legendary' even... Well, he was, wasn't he...

Thanks for your post, Ed ! Great to see the two live performances which i had not seen before. Gotta love Youtube ! :salute:

cheers,
jan

Tako_Kichi
April 17th, 2012, 20:32
One of the true greats and I'd much rather listen to Eddie than Elvis.

I have this album in my vinyl collection and still play it from time to time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legendary_Masters_Series

keatles
April 17th, 2012, 22:13
Here is another tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otAiRNxZbDk

:applause:

IanHenry
April 18th, 2012, 05:46
The best Rock n Roller of ever, far better than Elvis.

Ian.

Eoraptor1
April 18th, 2012, 08:27
One of the true greats and I'd much rather listen to Eddie than Elvis.

Me, too. I love Sun Records era Elvis, but I feel he went immediately into decline when he signed on with Colonel Tom. Eddie Cochran IMO is much more the sound of Rock n Roll.

JAMES