PDA

View Full Version : A Version 2.0 Question ?

Crusader
April 16th, 2012, 04:16
I realize that 2.0 is a long ways off (last rumor I read was possibly the end of 2012??) and I realize it will be a separate purchase for the Academic users as myself but I was wondering if it (2.0) will be able to be installed over the current 1.3 version ? ;) Probably not but I didn't realize I had acquired and loaded so many excellent freeware\payware AC's and scenery from all the talented people we have around in our hobby . Sure would save a bunch of time reloading wouldn't it ? I am not a computer guru so forgive the question from the non-tech guy here .;) I know this is waaaaaaay premature but I actually sort of enjoy this reloading , copy and pasting . I know , I have much too much time on my hands .

Rich

rhumbaflappy
April 16th, 2012, 05:33
Hi Rich.

Version 2 may break some backward compatibility, so hold off on the upgrade until you get reports from the crowd. They can't go forward while retaining all the pre-FSX code.

Dick

Crusader
April 16th, 2012, 05:54
Hi Rich.

Version 2 may break some backward compatibility, so hold off on the upgrade until you get reports from the crowd. They can't go forward while retaining all the pre-FSX code.

Dick

Thanks Dick , I sort of thought that was the case but was only guessing .

Lionheart
April 16th, 2012, 11:45
From what I have heard, it is going to be a radical jump up. They might have 'new' model technologies happening. That is only a rumor though. It might be very subtle, so one will just have to wait and see.

Should be interesting. I hope they have blimps and ships and submarines totally and fully running by then. Maybe even some tanks!

jnicol
April 17th, 2012, 04:18
Guys,

This is from the horses mouth..... and is also stated by me in the Prepar3D forums. Lockheed will be maintaining backwards compatibility for as long as possible. If compatibility is broken for whatever reason (and it would need to be a good reason), we will provide conversion tools where appropriate. There are no plans to break compatibility for version 2.0 at all. Updating to DX11 does not break addon compatibility for most addons and the DX libraries are generally backwards compatible anyway. Getting rid or updating "pre-fsx code" does not mean breaking compatibility. If something is broken, we will fix it. Adding modelling features, if we decide to do that, does not break compatibility. It means that model developers will have additional features that can be built into their models, while existing ones continue to work. The update to the rendering is changing the look and feel of the world, but not the content in it. Right now it is too early in development to be able to provide release dates, but we continue to work on it. Thanks for your continued interest in Prepar3D!

John Nicol

Roger
April 17th, 2012, 08:50
Hi John,
Thanks for the input:ernae: I think the issues raised may be that in FsX with Dx10 when Fs9 aircraft are ported-over, most textures appear white.

Lionheart
April 17th, 2012, 09:05
Guys,

This is from the horses mouth..... and is also stated by me in the Prepar3D forums. Lockheed will be maintaining backwards compatibility for as long as possible. If compatibility is broken for whatever reason (and it would need to be a good reason), we will provide conversion tools where appropriate. There are no plans to break compatibility for version 2.0 at all. Updating to DX11 does not break addon compatibility for most addons and the DX libraries are generally backwards compatible anyway. Getting rid or updating "pre-fsx code" does not mean breaking compatibility. If something is broken, we will fix it. Adding modelling features, if we decide to do that, does not break compatibility. It means that model developers will have additional features that can be built into their models, while existing ones continue to work. The update to the rendering is changing the look and feel of the world, but not the content in it. Right now it is too early in development to be able to provide release dates, but we continue to work on it. Thanks for your continued interest in Prepar3D!

John Nicol

Many thanks John! Welcome to the Sim Outhouse.

This is great news for us developers, to have new features 'added' in future models, and possibly conversion tools as well. Nice!

Arno has been working on a possible way to take an FS9 model and convert its textures (and possibly animations) to FSX pure. The concept would enable an FS9 model to be converted to pure FSX and its materials added with Bump and Specular mapping, unanimated parts 'animated' (as like FSX with tires and prop discs, elevators, etc). I hope he is successful on it.

Bill
LHC