PDA

View Full Version : FS Panel Studio Question

WND
April 15th, 2012, 07:40
A few months ago I "updated" FS Panel Studio to 'build 22767'.

Since then, every time I try to edit a gauge (for whatever reason) and save it back, it then takes - it seems - forever to load up the aircraft that has the 'now' modified gauge in it !!! I don't recall this happening on earlier versions.

Is it my imagination or is it something to do with the "updated" version???

Has anyone run across this issue besides me ???

Thanks in advance for your responses...

Bill

Moparmike
April 16th, 2012, 06:50
I haven't updated in quite a while. Still running build 21566 here.

Does this happen after editing the BMP resources or the XML code?

If just the BMPs, what paint program are you using and what file format are you saving the bitmaps to when you're done?
Even with todays super CPUs and vid cards, I still prefer a 256-color paletted BMP (I use Paint Shop Pro for my paint program)...reduces the overhead needed to draw the gauge bitmap. Also, I'm not sure if it's a problem with FS9 or FSX, but I remember FS2002 and earlier had problems when mixing color depth bitmaps within the gauge...whatever color depth you choose, make sure all the bitmaps are the same depth.

If it's when editing the XML, then I'm not sure what the cause would be. Again., what editor are you using outside of FSPS? I use Notepad++ and the only time I'm having problems is when I bungle the code and wind up killing the gauge.

WND
April 17th, 2012, 14:20
Hey Mike:

I never paid much attention to it if I'm changing the XML - which I do rarely - I might on occasion change a "mouse over" to say something different.

Most of the time I'm changing what's said or the background color - like on a fuel selector gauge !! Never thought about the difference in color etc... I'll have to pay more attention the next time I'm 'playing' with it...

I usually just do everything thru FSPS (edit gauge) - maybe when I come out of the BMP edit, I'm not doing something right!!! I'll keep working at it tho !!!

BTW, I use Photoshop 10..

Thanks for the reply - hope all is well..

Bill

Moparmike
April 18th, 2012, 14:33
Yup, I would double-check the bitmap format that you're using when you save in Photoshop. Especially if it's a large bitmap, 256-color will draw much faster than the larger color depths.
In PS CS4 (v11.0)...I'm pretty sure PS10 would be the same...you tweak the color depth in the "Image" menu, "Mode" sub-menu. Select "Indexed Color..." and go through the dialog to change the palette to 256-color(8-bit) instead of 8, 16, or 24 bit RGB color.
Attached is a screenshot of the settings that I usually use if I palette-down an image with PS.

Normally I use PaintShopPro for bitmap work so I'm not real up to speed on the fine points of PhotoShop.
There might be a quick and dirty way (like a macro or action) to palette-down an image in PS without following those steps every time.