PDA

View Full Version : Busy Midwest weather today

aeromed202
April 14th, 2012, 13:23
Dive for the cellar, at least three hook echos in Kansas right now just west of Wichita.

stansdds
April 14th, 2012, 13:59
Glad I don't live there!

SSI01
April 14th, 2012, 14:23
I spent 14 months in the Air Force at Forbes AFB, KS before it shut down and turned into a municipal airport. One of my abiding memories of Forbes and Topeka is standing outside the barracks one spring evening and gazing up at the sky, which was covered from horizon to horizon with what looked like dirty cotton batting. But above that cotton batting was a sky full of flickering white neon lights, flashing over the entire sky non-stop for hours, and yet without a sound reaching us on the ground.

We got a visit later that night from two tornadoes, one of which blew down the doors on one of the flight line hangars and resulted in a C-130E in the hangar doing a wheelie. I saw it later the following morning, close-up. THAT was impressive . . .

HorusJ
April 14th, 2012, 16:34
It was reminiscent of a war zone here in OK last night with the lightning,HUGE bangs of thunder,heavy rains,extreme winds,and tornado sirens going on forever.I gotta get the hell out of here! I miss my SoCal earthquakes :icon_lol:.

Dain Arns
April 16th, 2012, 14:09
We had some severe weather here, pea sized hail mostly.

I'm just glad the wind finally died down here.
Had 77mph gusts recorded in a couple spots, in the 50mph range here for the past few days.

PRB
April 16th, 2012, 17:20
There was little lightning and thunder here last night, but the rain was heavy and the wind was huge. Up the road in St. Peters they had a 65 mph wind. Don't know what it was here but it was in that neighborhood!

- Paul