PDA

View Full Version : Playing around with AFX files

Crusader
April 14th, 2012, 07:42
I too have emailed Jeff at Flight1 and he responded back that they are sort of in a "Wait and see"mode now how Prepar3D evolves in the months ahead . I certainly understand that reasoning . I know everyone has their scenery , AFX files , etc placed and loaded in a number of different configurations . For example , I have made several new parking spaces for a number of Ohio airports in FSX (majority are probably not very realistic as far as parking spaces at the actual airports) over the years and had them all in a folder named Ohio ATX Parking\scenery . Loaded it into Prepar3D and activated it in the scenery
Library. Loaded it into Prepar3D and activated it in the scenery library and all parking spaces showed up in the Airport Selection Menu and aircraft were placed properly what ever parking spot I choose . No problem , after all , they(AFX files) are just bgl's , so why not work , right , they did .

My question is : I know it might seem like a PIA but there isn't any reason why some AI I have made going to and from various airports from the flight plans from AIFP
(They are just simple bgl files generated from AFFP) , assuming you have the correct corresponding AC loaded into Prepar3D and the proper parking spaces to accomodate them , they should work . Just simple (specific named)traffic.bgl files , right ?

Sorry for the long winded conversation here(TOO much caffeine this morning) . It would be nice if IS2 ,AFX , AIFP , and others could be placed directly into Prepar3D but until then or suitable replacements as mentioned above , we can still transfer over from FSX .

Sure is nice being retired now and have all this time to just "tinker" around with my favorite hobby .:jump:

Now back to FSX for some "Transfer" experimentation .:running:

Rich

Crusader
April 14th, 2012, 08:20
Have emailed
Don Grovestine (AFIP) on possibly making AIFP directly installed into Prepar3D .
Will pass on any pertinent info I may receive .

Rich

kjb
April 14th, 2012, 09:48
Now back to FSX for some "Transfer" experimentation .:running:

Rich

It isn't really necessary to transfer anything. If you add a scenery to P3D (using the menu World - Scenery Library - Add Area), the BGL created by AFX will show up and work correctly. I keep my sceneries on a separate drive (a separate directory or folder would work too) and then add them to FSX and/or P3D.

What you can't do at this point is edit them within P3D.

Lionheart
April 14th, 2012, 10:38
Yep, I keep forgetting this. Addon Scenery can be anywhere, so long as its online when you boot up the sim.

Traffic can be added (from what I remember) into Addon Scenery, instead of Scenery World Scenery so that it doesnt mess up regular AI traffic.

Crusader
April 14th, 2012, 11:03
It isn't really necessary to transfer anything. If you add a scenery to P3D (using the menu World - Scenery Library - Add Area), the BGL created by AFX will show up and work correctly. I keep my sceneries on a separate drive (a separate directory or folder would work too) and then add them to FSX and/or P3D.

What you can't do at this point is edit them within P3D.

I agree , your way is a very good way of arranging scenery . My goal eventually is to delete FSX someday . I'm just experimenting with what works and what doesn't . I too have most of my scenery on a separate partitioned hard drive . I have two 500g hard drives , each split into 250G partitions . I have cleaned up one of the partitions (F:\) and use it exclusively for Prepar3D . C:\(OS-Win764bit) , D:\(FSX) , E:\MS Flight(for now;)),FS9(yep , can't part with my CalClassic 50-60's setup) and 2 500G WD Externals for backups and storage . Your right , being able to access scenery from anywhere is really an asset . My use of the the word "transfer" was wrong . More copy and paste into where ever would have been a better explanation .

I'm glad this forum is really starting to pick up speed . Keep it coming in guys and gals !

Rich

Crusader
April 14th, 2012, 11:23
Yep, I keep forgetting this. Addon Scenery can be anywhere, so long as its online when you boot up the sim.

Traffic can be added (from what I remember) into Addon Scenery, instead of Scenery World Scenery so that it doesnt mess up regular AI traffic.

Please , someone correct me if I'm wrong . Traffic can really be added to any scenery folder in FSX as well as Prepar3D, unlike FS9(I think ?) for example . When I made traffic with AIFP , it would allow you rename the specific traffic bgl to you what ever you wanted then place it in any scenery folder(it doesn't have to be in the Addon Scenery folder) . Prime example is Xavier's excellent Vietnam War Project\scenery folder . That's where I have all of Xavier's stock AI traffic files . Anything else I made with AIFP I had a separate folder named My Vietnam AI Traffic\scenery and another My Vietnam AFX\scenery . Sometimes you have to adjust the priority in the Scenery Library but it works .

Rich

Crusader
April 14th, 2012, 18:14
Have emailed
Don Grovestine (AFIP) on possibly making AIFP directly installed into Prepar3D .
Will pass on any pertinent info I may receive .

Rich

Reply today from Don Grovestine :

" Don Grovestine dgrovestine@shaw.ca

8:38 PM (1 hour ago)https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif

https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif

to me :

Rich, I haven't even thought about Prepar3D. It's my understanding it is a commercial application - a successor for ESP supported by someone other than MS.

If it uses the same traffic file and aircraft formats as FSX (as did ESP), then AIFP should generate files that will work with Prepar3D without change. If not, then I doubt there is a sufficiently-sized user-base to justify the amount of work involved (a lot) in developing a Prepar3d-compatible AIFP.

Don "